Semi noob at bodybuilding/Bulk

Hi everyone well here's the situation I've always been a skinny guy all my life so far and I'm sick of it I'm 19 5ft 9 weigh 130 pound my goal has been to at least be 180 or at least an average weight for someone who's my age and older I am very athletic but have very little to show for it in terms of body type if that makes any sense.I have a super fast metabolism that if I workout and eat regularly I would either lose weight or stay the same.I have tried many workouts but it wouldn't work unless I know what to do I just wanna bulk up and tap into my true fitness potential I only eat 2-3 meals a day and have dumbbells at home but like I said it's the workouts and the eating that's killing me if you guys can give me tips on what to do I'll be very thankful.

Replies

• Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    edited February 2017
    Hi everyone well here's the situation I've always been a skinny guy all my life so far and I'm sick of it I'm 19 5ft 9 weigh 130 pound my goal has been to at least be 180 or at least an average weight for someone who's my age and older I am very athletic but have very little to show for it in terms of body type if that makes any sense.I have a super fast metabolism that if I workout and eat regularly I would either lose weight or stay the same.I have tried many workouts but it wouldn't work unless I know what to do I just wanna bulk up and tap into my true fitness potential I only eat 2-3 meals a day and have dumbbells at home but like I said it's the workouts and the eating that's killing me if you guys can give me tips on what to do I'll be very thankful.

i found your problem. Quite simply, eat more. Take whatever you're currently eating, add one extra meal of a similar proportion as a starting point, adjust up or down to keep yourself gaining between 0.5-1 lbs./week.

Numerically speaking, you want between a 250-500 cal/day surplus. How you achieve this is up to you.

Also, progressive resistance training. 5/3/1, Starting Strength, etc. will start you off fine. Just take bench, deadlift, squat, power clean, and some kind of overhead work, and add accessories around those. Anything that's built around those is going to work.
  • comptonelizabeth
    comptonelizabeth Posts: 1,701 Member
    I agree,you're probably not eating enough. Try adding a couple of extra snacks of calorie dense foods. For years I thought I had a "fast metabolism " and couldn't gain weight but when I started logging on here I realised I just wasn't eating enough.
    Generally I know roughly what I'm going to be eating at meals each day so I log it in the morning. That way I can see how many extra calories I need to eat to reach my goal.
  • JB035
    JB035 Posts: 336 Member
    At your current weight, once you start eating enough you are going to put on weight fast! Eat up!
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    The workouts and eating are killing you? I'm not sure what you mean...
    Also, why only 2-3 meals? Try 3 meals, 2 snacks. Start a lifting program.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Eat, train & sleep.

If your aren't seeing results, one or all three is lacking.

If you aren't gaining weight, you aren't eating enough calories. Eat & log calories. If your weight isn't going up after 2-3 weeks add more calories until your weight increases.

Train. Your body needs a progressive overload to achieve enought stimulus to yoyr muscles for them to grow. Pick a program, work the chit out of it.

Sleep, ask anybody who bulks successfully and they give their body plenty of sleep.
  • HookGripDeadlifts
    HookGripDeadlifts Posts: 30 Member
    The simple answer is to just eat eat eat! I was in a position similar to you where I was always the skinny guy. Difference is I waited till I was 33 years old before I decided I was done being skinny.

It may sound weird and probably hard for many to understand but I got to the point where I didn't care if I got fat I just wanted to gain weight. So I forced myself to constantly eat, to the point I never felt hungry. If I started feeling any hunger pains then I knew I waited too long to eat so I tried to minimize that.

After a little bit of time It got much easier to eat more. Then once I started to lift weights i was amazed at the gains I was seeing in such a short amount of time. This was very motivating and soon I was in a routine that was becoming easier to maintain. I've learned a lot about nutrition and muscle growth along the way and for me this is now becoming a way of life.

I'm 6'2 and was about 155lbs when I started this journey and hit my goal of 200lbs about 6 months later.

Did I gain too much weight too fast? Probably, but I needed to see those results to keep me motivated. It helped me realize I could do something that I never thought I would be able to do which was putting on weight.

Now that I've seen results and know more about weight training and nutrition than I did before I'm able to bulk/cut more efficiently. Ive learned how to gain muscle while minimizing fat gain.

So, as has been mentioned previously, eat, eat, eat, train and sleep. If you want it bad enough, it will happen. If i can do it then I'm sure most can. Good luck!
  • JB035
    JB035 Posts: 336 Member
    @tlock24 I have a similar story bud. 5'8" 140 pounds and never really got any heavier, I could get stronger but the lbs never showed up. Now I'm sitting around 170!

I still eat the way you're taking about, if I'm hungry I eat.

Solid advice. It sounds to simple to be true. A guy once told me if you want to weigh 180 then you have to eat like you weigh 180. Might not make sense but it made sense to me. EAT!!!
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    tlock24 wrote: »
    The simple answer is to just eat eat eat! I was in a position similar to you where I was always the skinny guy. Difference is I waited till I was 33 years old before I decided I was done being skinny.

It may sound weird and probably hard for many to understand but I got to the point where I didn't care if I got fat I just wanted to gain weight. So I forced myself to constantly eat, to the point I never felt hungry. If I started feeling any hunger pains then I knew I waited too long to eat so I tried to minimize that.

After a little bit of time It got much easier to eat more. Then once I started to lift weights i was amazed at the gains I was seeing in such a short amount of time. This was very motivating and soon I was in a routine that was becoming easier to maintain. I've learned a lot about nutrition and muscle growth along the way and for me this is now becoming a way of life.

I'm 6'2 and was about 155lbs when I started this journey and hit my goal of 200lbs about 6 months later.

Did I gain too much weight too fast? Probably, but I needed to see those results to keep me motivated. It helped me realize I could do something that I never thought I would be able to do which was putting on weight.

Now that I've seen results and know more about weight training and nutrition than I did before I'm able to bulk/cut more efficiently. Ive learned how to gain muscle while minimizing fat gain.

So, as has been mentioned previously, eat, eat, eat, train and sleep. If you want it bad enough, it will happen. If i can do it then I'm sure most can. Good luck!

You remind me of a young Paul Carter. http://www.lift-run-bang.com/2010/03/blue-collar-eating-for-mass.html?m=1

Especially this part: "It was the summer when I was 17 and 175 pounds. I decided that I was going to get as big as possible over those months and would do whatever it took to accomplish that. It was that summer where I learned how much I had to eat to gain mass. It was that summer that would be my Right of Passage. Almost every heavily muscled guy I've ever known has a story like this."