Culking Bishes!!! Winter2016 / Spring 2017

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,386 MFP Moderator
    JoRocka wrote: »
    I went to VMI- so yeah- not unfamiliar with those areas.

But I am honestly not looking forward to going down there- I'm guessing I'm going to park and take Lyft everywhere since I'm outside Dupont circle.

At least there is some great food in the area. And still better than dirty Jersey IMO, >:)
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    psuLemon wrote: »

But I am honestly not looking forward to going down there- I'm guessing I'm going to park and take Lyft everywhere since I'm outside Dupont circle.

At least there is some great food in the area. And still better than dirty Jersey IMO, >:)

LOL- Considering I Have 3 all you can eat Brazillian places and a Lebanese place at my finger tips- yeah- I can't complain- but VA definitely has it's perks.
  • psuLemon
    edited February 2017

LOL- Considering I Have 3 all you can eat Brazillian places and a Lebanese place at my finger tips- yeah- I can't complain- but VA definitely has it's perks.

In my area, we have a new restaurant pop up every week. I literally cannot keep up. My biggest issues is I have 6 movie theaters within 3 miles of my house and I refuse to go to half of them because they don't have recliners, but the traffic sucks around here.

On the bright side, if you want to try a food from anywhere in the world, we have a restaurant for that.

ps - have you ever done all you can eat Korean BBQ? IMO, it's better than all you can eat Brazilian steakhouses.
  • JoRocka

In my area, we have a new restaurant pop up every week. I literally cannot keep up. My biggest issues is I have 6 movie theaters within 3 miles of my house and I refuse to go to half of them because they don't have recliners, but the traffic sucks around here.

On the bright side, if you want to try a food from anywhere in the world, we have a restaurant for that.

ps - have you ever done all you can eat Korean BBQ? IMO, it's better than all you can eat Brazilian steakhouses.

Yeah the new recliner theaters are pretty much life. They just opened - or are just opening a new one near us- and I'm pretty sure it'll be the closest one w/ recliners.
    We are so spoiled.
    Why they waited so long for that I have no idea.

I haven't actually- I'd be hard pressed to believe it was better than Brazilian. Our favorite is Argentinian- and they have a special order where you can get JUST skirt steak and JUST pichania (top sirloin), which are our favorite dishes and saves us from having to wade through the rest of the meat that we like- but don't love.

There are probably a few around here for Korean- but I don't know if hubs will be down.

I also have to BYOB places in walking distance- Puetro Rician and Portuguese. literally- walking distance.

I'm insanely spoiled.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member

That is one thing that I do miss about Richmond. I only live about an hour away now, but having so many varied restaurants within just a few miles was amazing. Also, Texas de Brazil.
  • bioklutz
    bioklutz Posts: 1,365 Member
    So here is how my bulk went: I'm up 10lbs in a year. I competed in my 2nd comp last weekend (6 months after 1st). I added 20lbs to my squat: 180lbs@bw of 137. I added 5lbs to dl: 255lbs. Bombed on bench (ugh, don't want to talk about it)...but added 35lbs to gym bench PR: 135lbs.

Also, try India K'Raj in RVA. It's my fave Indian buffet.

Very nice numbers!
  • JoRocka
    I'm guessing March is it for me. I'll see if I can get through 2 weeks into March- I'm definitely off bulking at this point LOL. #fatkidproblems
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    I'm up about 2.6lb since low after Thanksgiving. I'm gonna keep going in the weight room until spring break, and actually have a break. Not sure what to do after that. I'm feeling so ambivalent about lifting these days.
  • JoRocka
    I'm up about 2.6lb since low after Thanksgiving. I'm gonna keep going in the weight room until spring break, and actually have a break. Not sure what to do after that. I'm feeling so ambivalent about lifting these days.

are you on a program?

I find endless programs that don't cycle bore me. I hate them. I need 12 weeks- or 6 weeks of actual training.
  • Gallowmere1984
    edited February 2017

are you on a program?

I find endless programs that don't cycle bore me. I hate them. I need 12 weeks- or 6 weeks of actual training.

This is one thing I love about 5/3/1 thus far. Every session, you push the hell out of your heaviest set and go for rep PRs. Gives you something to hype over and channel anger into at every session.

There's also a huge amount of accessory potential built into it.
  • psuLemon
    edited February 2017

are you on a program?

This is one thing I love about 5/3/1 thus far. Every session, you push the hell out of your heaviest set and go for rep PRs. Gives you something to hype over and channel anger into at every session.

It's one reason I am really liking Bigger Leaner Stronger. I lift heavy for 7 weeks, deload the 8th week, and then the plan changes accessories. And I cannot wait until I deload next week... it's really needed.

And I think Wendler 5/3/1 is a great program for that flexibility as well.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member

Is it your program you are questioning? Lifting in general? Are you stalling strength wise, are you bored? Are you seeing progress physically? Are you resting enough? These are all things that can affect how I feel about lifting.. usually just need to change something or have a rest.
  • JoRocka

are you on a program?

YEP!
    Even if you run the same program but use last cycles numbers is acceptable to me.

I tried this bulking season as a break from Sheiko to run a 3 day even split- and I just- meh- high reps- and no end- I think I lasted 3 weeks?

I need structure.
  • DancingMoosie
    I'm basically doing a hybrid of 5x5 and strong curves. It's just that when I think about going to lift after work, I don't necessarily want to. I am always glad I did afterwards. My lifts are OK, I'm not really into going super heavy. I'm by myself and need to be safe. It's more about strength and general fitness for a lifetime. My physique is basically how I like it. Bigger muscles is not really a goal at this point. I guess I'm somewhat bored but also like other things. I also have lots of breaks where I don't get to use the weight room, and then starting again is difficult.
  • leajas1
    leajas1 Posts: 823 Member

are you on a program?

It's one reason I am really liking Bigger Leaner Stronger. I lift heavy for 7 weeks, deload the 8th week, and then the plan changes accessories. And I cannot wait until I deload next week... it's really needed.

I'm so glad you're liking BLS! Has your wife started TLS?
  • leajas1
    leajas1 Posts: 823 Member
    I'm basically doing a hybrid of 5x5 and strong curves. It's just that when I think about going to lift after work, I don't necessarily want to. I am always glad I did afterwards. My lifts are OK, I'm not really into going super heavy. I'm by myself and need to be safe. It's more about strength and general fitness for a lifetime. My physique is basically how I like it. Bigger muscles is not really a goal at this point. I guess I'm somewhat bored but also like other things. I also have lots of breaks where I don't get to use the weight room, and then starting again is difficult.

I did a few sessions with a trainer earlier this month for that very reason. I just wanted to try something different and he's really into Kettle Bell stuff. It was fun and challenging. Once I lose the fat I gained on my bulk I may start experimenting with some Kettle Bell stuff, but I'm just not ready to change things up quite that much.
  • Gallowmere1984

Sounds odd, but have you considered getting up stupid early to go in the morning? I've found that if I start getting meh about it, training at 3:00am helps. Once that gets meh, I swap back to evenings. For whatever reason, this seems to keep me dialed in pretty well.
  • DancingMoosie
    I go in the morning Thursday. It's a little frustrating to pack everything for a Monday and then also not get a shower after. I deal with it once a week, not sure I want to do it twice.
  • psuLemon
    leajas1 wrote: »

are you on a program?

I'm so glad you're liking BLS! Has your wife started TLS?

Unfortunately she has not. She has been dealing with a bunch of medical issues. Once they clear up, she plans on it.