too "bulky"?

I'm a new personal trainer and am trying to select photos to represent myself accordingly. however, I'm afraid some people may be turned off by the fact that I'm a female and have this much vascularity/muscle tone. any advice? I want to show that I have had major success with my body, but I feel like this may be too much. should I go with less aggressive pictures or go ahead and use ones like these? any advice is appreciated. thanks! l2miopz2ezzj.jpg

Replies

• Morgaen73
    Morgaen73 Posts: 2,818 Member
    No you are not too bulky. You look well toned. Use the pics.
  • Dreamcrusher16
    Dreamcrusher16 Posts: 1,263 Member
    Personally I think you look great, but you're never going to make everybody happy. All you can do is be you and hopefully the right clientele will find you.
    0831227 Posts: 84 Member
    You look very fit! It's the kind of physique that would impress me in a personal trainer because even if this is not what I aim for (personally), I know the level of hard work, knowledge, technique and dedication it takes to get there, so it would make me confident that you really know what you are doing and what I should do for myself!
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    You look fit and healthy, definitely not bulky. I wouldn't hesitate to post those pics :+1:
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    You're not bulky :laugh:
  • Makeitso39
    Makeitso39 Posts: 51 Member
    Definitely not bulky! I think you look very inspiring. Good luck with your venture :)
  • Gracious_Plum
    Gracious_Plum Posts: 19 Member
    I think you look great, very inspirational.... care to share your exercise routine?!
    I'm going to add you :)

Good luck with the PT :smiley:
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    You look great but I have a feeling many women would think the second picture is "too much". People that are not in shape have a warped view on "normal" or what is too muscular.
  • robdowns1300
    robdowns1300 Posts: 152 Member
    Clearly you look awesome. Maybe try a different outfit. Little black dress?
  • Cylphin60
    Cylphin60 Posts: 863 Member
    rainbowbow wrote: »
    You look great but I have a feeling many women would think the second picture is "too much". People that are not in shape have a warped view on "normal" or what is too muscular.

They also have a warped view on what is "overweight" "obese" or how many pounds they *really* need to lose. :wink:
    Agreed. Those are the people who will argue with you when you try to train them.

OP - you look fantastic. Go with it I say.
  • Sumiblue
    Sumiblue Posts: 1,597 Member
    If you are worried about it then just take non flexed photos. I'm very muscular for a woman but just look fit when I'm not flexing or in the middle of a lift.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member

They also have a warped view on what is "overweight" "obese" or how many pounds they *really* need to lose. :wink:

So true. Everyone (no matter what) is fatter than they would like to think.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,373 MFP Moderator
    This is exactly why I took my photos for all of my online marketing around 22% body fat even though I usually maintain around 18%.

All the people saying "you're not too bulky!" I don't think have had the opportunity of working with many women; especially not the average gym goer.

I would say that you look fine, but if you're looking to work with the general population I would dress and pose in a way that you look "fit" but not too lean. Some key points for being "too lean" to most women i work with include: visible separation in delts, strong jawline poses or showing sterneclomastoid, visible "pump" especially veins on the hands or across the shoulders. These things generally are looked upon as "masculine".

IMO - I think you have a fantastic physique. But then again I'm also in the industry and appreciate *really* fit bodies.

P.S. This is not to say that you should gain weight or change anything about your body or that you should be ashamed of your awesomely fit body. I'm speaking just for marketing purposes and if your desired clientelle is the AVERAGE gym goer.

If you're looking to work with athletes, girls who want to compete in bikini, etc. I would show off your current physique all you can. :)

Everyone is attracted towards one person or another (and personality is a huge one when it comes to trainers), so don't worry too much about trying to be anyone you're not. Some people might think you're too bulky, some might think you are too small. Cant win them all! :)

Pretty much everything I was thinking. It really comes down to your client's perceptions.

OP, if clients are looking to be fit, you would be a great example. But remember, no matter how good of a trainer you are, you won't always be a great fit for everyone.
  • sllm1
    sllm1 Posts: 2,114 Member
    NOT too bulky - I think you look a bit thin in the top one, just due to the pose. I love the second picture.

I know you're trying to attract clients, but I really would embrace your body and the work you've put in and just go with the pics you like. Don't worry about what other people think. That whole "women shouldn't have muscles" thing is crap.