Reducing fat & in problem areas, exercise help and muscle building tips

I have a few problem areas that I'm sure a lot of people can relate to one is the dreaded back boobs as I'd like to call them. Two is lower abs and upper gluteals low back I tend to hold what I like to call a spare tire. I have lost over 70 pounds in the last year I still have weight to lose but was wondering if anyone had tips to target theses areas as well as strengthen them building muscle to replace the fat. Feel free to add me on here or message me for my Instagram or snap! Take care!

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,879 Member
    Unfortunately you can't target fat loss.
  • SylviaGem
    SylviaGem Posts: 51 Member
    No, but you can do certain exercises that will build and strength muscle which can reduce fat. Just asking what others have done that seems to be helpful
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    SylviaGem wrote: »
    No, but you can do certain exercises that will build and strength muscle which can reduce fat. Just asking what others have done that seems to be helpful

are you currently following a structured lifting program like strong lifts, all pro beginner etc? Like @cwolfman13 you can't target fat reduction, but you can maintain existing mass and lose overall body fat through calorie deficit, strength training and keeping protein high (about .75 grams of protein per pound of body weight)
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,443 Member
    Structured lifting program (Stronglifts 5X5 is awesome) and a calorie deficit.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,879 Member

A structured lifting program is going to provide for the most efficient and effective results in gaining strength and preserving muscle mass. The movements in and of themselves do not promote fat loss from a specific area...like doing bench press will work the pectoral muscles, but it doesn't burn fat around them...doing abdominal exercises will target your abdominal muscles, but won't result in burning belly fat, etc...which is what I mean when I say you can't target fat loss from a specific area.
  • not_a_runner
    not_a_runner Posts: 1,343 Member
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

A structured lifting program is going to provide for the most efficient and effective results in gaining strength and preserving muscle mass. The movements in and of themselves do not promote fat loss from a specific area...like doing bench press will work the pectoral muscles, but it doesn't burn fat around them...doing abdominal exercises will target your abdominal muscles, but won't result in burning belly fat, etc...which is what I mean when I say you can't target fat loss from a specific area.

Yes, this.
    Building muscle just puts more muscle under the fat, it does nothing to remove/replace fat from any area.
    Calorie deficit to lose fat.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Eat at a small deficit, get at least 0.8-1g protein per lean body mass and and incorporate strength training which will help you retain muscle as you lose. Keep in mind, even when you get to goal weight, your body may still hold on to those stubborn areas.. so it may take some building (through recomp or bulk/cut cycles) to achieve your desired results.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member

a calorie deficit is what reduces fat,exercise can help you build strength,but muscle is for the most part built in a surplus(or a recomp which takes awhile). I am almost 5 years from starting my journey and I still have some fat around my belly and my butt and upper back part of my legs. I lift weights,ride my bike when its warm and get a lot of walking in and it can be a very slow process.my belly fat whats left is finally coming off now,some of it Im not sure will ever come off lol.building muscle does not reduce fat,you burn a little more calories but its not a big amount.also the first place you gained the weight and fat is usually the last place you will lose it.The more fat you have the longer it will take for most people
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member

Building and strengthening muscles has absolutely nothing to do with fat loss in a particular area. Fat is inert and can't be exercised. Calorie deficit is what causes fat loss, and fat will come off you in a pattern dictated by your genetics. For many/most people, the abdominal/lower torso area is the last place you'll lose the fat, and you may have to get to a fairly low BF% before it comes off that area. And no exercise you do will change that.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Consume less calories than you expend for a long enough period of time and you'll lose weight.