Increasing calorie intake...Advice needed ASAP

Alright so this post isn't about me (I'm focusing on losing), but I am trying to get some advice for my boyfriend. He works a very high manual labor job. On a slow day (yesterday) he logged 20 miles walked at work.

We just recently moved in together and before this he was living at his sister's house. Due to this situation, he was unable to eat very much while working this job. I knew this wasn't healthy, but at the time there was not much that could be done about it. However, once we moved in together I have been keeping the house stocked with food and have watched him increase the amount he eats voluntarily.

I noticed though that he was still losing too much weight too fast, was constantly getting sick, was tired and he is always sore. I talked him into buying a Fitbit and helped him log his food intake for the day yesterday. We did this through the Fitbit app because linking two apps together and having two places to look at was too overwhelming for him currently.

The thing is according to Fitbit he underated by about 1000 calories yesterday and that was a slow day at work. He was shocked by this and I was finally able to discuss with him about the potential health issues that he is heading towards. He agreed to let me work with him on upping his calorie intake, but I only really know about eating at a deficit.

I was hoping I could get some tips on what I could do or suggest to him to help in work back up to eating at a more healthy calorie intake.

TLDR; boyfriend is losing weight too fast. What can I do to help him increase calorie intake?

Stats:
Height - 6ft
Weight - 158.1 lbs and dropping quickly

Replies

• Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Easiest way? Keep shoving PB&J sandwiches in him on top of what he already eats, until his weight stabilizes.
  • blackcomaro
    blackcomaro Posts: 796 Member
    Boiled eggs and brown rice always help me
  • Gallowmere1984
    Also, 73/27 ground beef, and don't drain the fat. Make him eat a pound of that every night dumped over some mashed potatoes. The gains, they will find him.
  • PrincessSlytherin
    PrincessSlytherin Posts: 181 Member
    Thank you! I will have to try all of those. Luckily he's not a picky eater so it shouldn't be too hard. I think the hardest part will be getting his appetite up, so high calorie food options are exactly what I need right now.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Yeah, fattier cuts of meat, calorie dense desserts (who doesn't love dessert), chocolate bars, nuts (handy things he can snack on at work). Pizza with all the toppings. Oily dressings/condiments (mayo for example). Cheese, all the cheese. Protein smoothies, double scoop with full fat milk and a bunch of fruit.

Lots of ways to work in more calories!
  • rachelleahsmom
    rachelleahsmom Posts: 442 Member
    Can he munch on nuts during the day? They are heart healthy and high in calories but don't really fill you up. Also, what about high protein shakes?
  • VintageFeline
    I'm daydreaming now. Those caramelised cashews and almonds you can get are so delicious, I could easily plough through several thousand calories of them in a day given half the chance!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    i second peanut butter, full fat milk, avocado etc
  • PrincessSlytherin
    He can't really snack while he's working, but he gets two 15 minute breaks and a 30 minute lunch. I can start sending some of these things with him for those times when he can eat. Also, nuts sound perfect to have for his 15 min breaks.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Just make sure he monitors the gain. The last thing you want is him putting on too much, too fast, getting fat and going back to what he was doing before.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    As others I think increasing fats is going to be key.

I would highly recommend buying a daily little tin of blue diamond nuts (about 1,400 calories) which can be munched on without feeling too filling. Adding things like peanut butter, oils, butter, avocado, cheese, baked goods, etc. could also help.

I would also switch from drinking water to things like milk or juices.
  • PrincessSlytherin
    Just make sure he monitors the gain. The last thing you want is him putting on too much, too fast, getting fat and going back to what he was doing before.

We are going to as this was a concern for both of us. Me because of what you said and him because he doesn't want to be "fat" again. He is taking to weighing himself every morning. We have also agreed on a goal range that based on his history we believe would be healthy for him. This way if he does gain a bit even though we are focusing on maintaining he won't get too discouraged.
  • ToBeTheSea
    ToBeTheSea Posts: 1 Member
    Oh gosh, does he work for Amazon? Haha that's where I work and I'm sort of in the same predicament. I lost weight previous to starting this job which was a good thing but have now found myself under my goal and still dropping. I'm obviously eating at a deficit which is why I just started using the MyFitness app again. I think my biggest challenge is finding high caloric foods that are still "healthy" Previously I had considered anything high in calories equivalent to being unhealthful (i.e. "All the cheese!" lol) so it's a bit of a challenge. Good luck to him and to you as well.
  • comptonelizabeth
    comptonelizabeth Posts: 1,701 Member
    Show him the thread at the top of this forum under best posts : are you a hard gainer. (I can't seem to copy links on this phone)
    And,I know it's hard but try not to make him feel more anxious! As someone who has always struggled to gain weight, I know from experience that it makes me feel more anxious about it when people seem too worried or concerned.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Two words: Ice Cream.
  • LiftingRiot
    LiftingRiot Posts: 6,952 Member
    What is his diet right now? Please post what he eats. It is obviously being tracked if you know he is a 1000 shy a day. At this rate he should be losing 2 pounds a week.

Ps. Tell him to get a better job or go back to school
  • VintageFeline
    ToBeTheSea wrote: »
    Oh gosh, does he work for Amazon? Haha that's where I work and I'm sort of in the same predicament. I lost weight previous to starting this job which was a good thing but have now found myself under my goal and still dropping. I'm obviously eating at a deficit which is why I just started using the MyFitness app again. I think my biggest challenge is finding high caloric foods that are still "healthy" Previously I had considered anything high in calories equivalent to being unhealthful (i.e. "All the cheese!" lol) so it's a bit of a challenge. Good luck to him and to you as well.

As long as your diet is wide and varied there's really no such thing as "unhealthy", particularly if you're struggling to meet a calorie goal. Just eat food, any food, that fits your goals. All food has some nutritional value.
  • Gallowmere1984
    What is his diet right now? Please post what he eats. It is obviously being tracked if you know he is a 1000 shy a day. At this rate he should be losing 2 pounds a week.

That last part is complete *kitten*. I was far happier, and in far better shape when working manual labor. The more certifications I earned, the more mundane and grinding the jobs became. Better pay? Absolutely. But having been on both sides of the fence, I assure you, that increase comes with it's own costs.

I actually offered to take a 30-40% pay cut to go back to being a "stupid grunt". My boss wasn't having it. Unfortunately, I am a loyal *kitten*, and refuse to leave a company that I've been with since I was 19.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member

what's wrong with manual labor?
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    JoRocka wrote: »

what's wrong with manual labor?

Don't you know that you're just a superior human being by having a degree and making money?

Come on now, we all know what you make and have is what you're worth.