Sugar Free Jello for joints?

I did a search and did not find anything on point. I was not sure if this was a nutrition question or a Weightlifting question so please forgive me if I am in the wrong section.

Long story short, 50 y/o...back into weightlifting after years and years out of it.
I am making good progress but have started running into some joint issues.
I did a little research and Jello seems to be the magic bullet.
What is not clear however is if this includes all Jello...like the sugar free Jello singles at the grocery.
(Trying to lose weight so trying to avoid excess calories if I can...in addition to building..trust me, there is a enough to do both for a while)

So do I get the joint benefits if I eat the Sugar Free Jello in the little six packs? If not, what is the best low calorie, reasonably priced, option? If the Sugar Free does do the trick, how many should I be eating in a day to get the benefit?

Thanks for any input

Replies

• comptonelizabeth
    comptonelizabeth Posts: 1,701 Member
    What did the research say about how it helps? Is it the gelatin?
  • comptonelizabeth
    comptonelizabeth Posts: 1,701 Member
    OK I just looked it up. There's not much evidence to back it up. But the active ingredient is gelatin. So any jello that includes gelatin will be what you're looking for. I think some of the cheaper ready made ones may not have a lot in then so you might be better off making your own.
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    edited February 2017
    For joint pain relief:
    • Ensure that there is adequate fat in your diet (I aim for at least 80g per day)
    • Consider supplementing with cod live oil/fish oil tablets
    • Ensure form is absolutely spot on for all exercises - I suffer from elbow pain and self diagnosed this as an issue with me going too heavy with dumbbell bicep hammer curls of all things - correcting the form and lowering the weight has reduced pain considerably (although it flares up occasionally)

Gelatin may work I don't know - I do remember it being a popular "old wive's tale" type remedy when I was a kid. If that is the case then home made bone broth type soups and stews would also help (although they are difficult to log the calories - I suspect there is massive calorie, fat, and gelatin content variation from stock to stock depending on how long you boil the bones/carcass for).
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    I can see the link. Bones make gelatin and bones have glucosamine.
    Not read anything to suggest it's proven in any way though.
  • lottathought
    lottathought Posts: 19 Member
    For joint pain relief:
    • Ensure that there is adequate fat in your diet (I aim for at least 80g per day)
    • Ensure form is absolutely spot on for all exercises - I suffer from elbow pain and self diagnosed this as an issue with me going too heavy with dumbbell bicep hammer curls of all things - correcting the form and lowering the weight has reduced pain considerably (although it flares up occasionally)

Gelatin may work I don't know - I do remember it being a popular "old wive's tale" type remedy when I was a kid. If that is the case then home made bone broth type soups and stews would also help (although they are difficult to log the calories - I suspect there is massive calorie, fat, and gelatin content variation from stock to stock depending on how long you boil the bones/carcass for).

Yaknow...for some reason I had not even considered Fish Oil. I thought it only had to do with the heart. Googling it after your comment shows me otherwise however. I might have to give that a try also.

As for the exercises.....yes...I suppose that I am pushing it a bit. I do know how to do the lifts properly however and have been taking care so as not to hurt myself....well not past a few nagging aches.

As for those Old Wives tales...some of them actually worked. Since I like Jello anyways, guess there is no real downside to giving it a try.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    You can get gelatin and collagen that is made from good quality beef bones - that would probably be more suitable than jello from the supermarket. I use it (mixed in to yoghurt, its the only "protein powder" I use)

I'm not sure if it actually does what it says on the tin, but I think my skin has improved because of it. I get Great Lakes brand.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,400 Member
    I can't tell you about jello, but I have OA and have had it for at least 15 yrs. I do alot of things--swimming, acquagym, stretching and do take cod liver oil in capsules. All this has helped, but I saw a real difference in my flare-ups when I started yoga. I do an easy yoga called "Yoga Flex" and the movements have changed my life.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,373 MFP Moderator
    For joint pain relief:

I would agree with this. I would also add that incorporating foam rolling has typically helped a lot of my muscle issues. For joints, fats and glucosamine have been identified as potentially beneficial. Below is some useful information.

Studies: https://examine.com/supplements/Glucosamine/
    Brand effacacy: https://labdoor.com/rankings/glucosamine
  • JB035
    JB035 Posts: 336 Member
    How much time do you spend warming up prior to and stretching post workout?

I agree with the foam rolling to, but you have to be careful with rolling. Main reason for caution is the body will sometimes tighten certain muscles to compensate for tendon and ligament injuries. So, if you loosen up something that your body was adjusting for you might even expose an old injury your muscles were helping out.

Has anyone else ever heard anything about muscles doing this?
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,400 Member
    psuLemon wrote: »
    For joint pain relief:

I would agree with this. I would also add that incorporating foam rolling has typically helped a lot of my muscle issues. For joints, fats and glucosamine have been identified as potentially beneficial. Below is some useful information.

I've taken glucosamine for years, along with cod liver oil. All I can say is that with all I do I'm better off than I was 5 yrs ago. I used to have trouble going down stairs, now I can go down in a clip. Going up stairs still isn't easy, but alot better. Yoga has made a big difference. I'm always experimenting. I would try jello, but can't get it in Italy.
  • lottathought
    edited February 2017
    I can't tell you about jello, but I have OA and have had it for at least 15 yrs. I do alot of things--swimming, acquagym, stretching and do take cod liver oil in capsules. All this has helped, but I saw a real difference in my flare-ups when I started yoga. I do an easy yoga called "Yoga Flex" and the movements have changed my life.

I started doing Yoga for the first time in my life in the last couple of months...but do admit that I have not yet gotten far. It is not what I thought it was and I have a new respect for the Downward Facing Dog. I do plan to incorporate that more and maybe I will see some of those benefits as well.

psuLemon wrote: »
    For joint pain relief:

I've taken glucosamine for years, along with cod liver oil. All I can say is that with all I do I'm better off than I was 5 yrs ago. I used to have trouble going down stairs, now I can go down in a clip. Going up stairs still isn't easy, but alot better. Yoga has made a big difference. I'm always experimenting. I would try jello, but can't get it in Italy.

I had never heard of foam rolling. I plan to try that. It makes sense though.

I have also taken glucosamine for years...but stopped the Fish oil over a decade ago. Based on some comments here, I have already decided to try it again.
    JB035 wrote: »
    How much time do you spend warming up prior to and stretching post workout?

I agree with the foam rolling to, but you have to be careful with rolling. Main reason for caution is the body will sometimes tighten certain muscles to compensate for tendon and ligament injuries. So, if you loosen up something that your body was adjusting for you might even expose an old injury your muscles were helping out.

Has anyone else ever heard anything about muscles doing this?

I do take some time warming up...and I put my lightest lifts at the end. And I will pay attention to the rolling when I try it. Thanks for the tip.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    edited February 2017
    I have not tried gelatin for my joints but I do take MSM (a sulfur compound which is supposed to help cartilage).

I DO make a sugar free jello for a snack. I HATE the taste of the pre-packaged sugar free gelatin so I make my own:

1 Tbl unflavored gelatin (or 1-1/2 if I want finger jello) (Don't know the brand, I buy it by the lb at my local Amish grocery store)
    1 c. boiling water
    1 c. cold water
    1 package Crystal light or other drink mix (or the equivalent of Mio)

You can also use diet soda or seltzer water as long as boiling a cup of it does not interfere with the taste.

Entire recipe is approx 35-50 calories depending on the amount of gelatin and which drink mix. 7-10 grams of protein.
  • lottathought
    earlnabby wrote: »
    I have not tried gelatin for my joints but I do take MSM (a sulfur compound which is supposed to help cartilage).

I DO make a sugar free jello for a snack. I HATE the taste of the pre-packaged sugar free gelatin so I make my own:

1 Tbl unflavored gelatin (or 1-1/2 if I want finger jello) (Don't know the brand, I buy it by the lb at my local Amish grocery store)
    1 c. boiling water
    1 c. cold water

You can also use diet soda or seltzer water as long as boiling a cup of it does not interfere with the taste.

Entire recipe is approx 35-50 calories depending on the amount of gelatin and which drink mix. 7-10 grams of protein.

I think I saw those Gelatin packs at the grocery...Knox Gelatin I think. It seemed to be powder and I wondered how it would be just mixing it into a protein shake.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    earlnabby wrote: »

1 c. boiling water
    1 c. cold water

I think I saw those Gelatin packs at the grocery...Knox Gelatin I think. It seemed to be powder and I wondered how it would be just mixing it into a protein shake.

Mixing in a shake would be OK if you drink it reasonably fast. Gelatin quickly absorbs moisture and starts to swell so you might have a lumpy shake if you leave it too long. You are better off dissolving it in water and drinking it. Knox packets are convenient but really expensive for what you get compared to buying a lb container
  • JenHuedy
    JenHuedy Posts: 611 Member
    I recently listened to a podcast about the study of gelatin for tendon/ligament repair in athletes. Not sure it would apply for general joint pain, though. Especially since the use of specific dosage, timing and exercise seemed to be an important factor. Just eating a serving of sugar-free Jello would not be likely to produce the same effects.

https://sigmanutrition.com/episode143/
  • lottathought
    edited February 2017
    JenHuedy wrote: »
    I recently listened to a podcast about the study of gelatin for tendon/ligament repair in athletes. Not sure it would apply for general joint pain, though. Especially since the use of specific dosage, timing and exercise seemed to be an important factor. Just eating a serving of sugar-free Jello would not be likely to produce the same effects.

https://sigmanutrition.com/episode143/

Awesome...Thanks,,,playing it now