Sodium overload!??!

Feel like I'm going way overboard with the sodium! Any advice on changes I could make? Is it a potentially debilitating problem? Thanks!

8lddmwilbnnc.png

Replies

• zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Do you have medical issues that are affected by sodium like high blood pressure? If not, I wouldn't worry about being over on sodium.

If you are bothered by it you can always make things from scratch rather than using a packet (like the grits and eggs). Not sure how many eggs are in what you logged, but 6 whole, large eggs are around 400 sodium.
  • Boland_D
    Boland_D Posts: 85 Member
    Sometimes I'll add something and realize it's a member made food and they added sodium and I didn't.
    Example: "Grits homemade" was someone's recipe with oil and salt.
    So I had to find another one that was just plain and didn't mess with my micros.

Secondly you're eating a few pre packaged things that contain a bit of sodium. See if you can find similar things that say low sodium or a less processed version.

I always went over with sodium whever I had pre-made food. I only alow myself that once a day now.

I know some people say eating a little more sodium isn't bad, it just scares the crap out of me and I think I get headaches when I eat too much.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,443 Member
    Since you're in the Weight Gaining and Body Building forum, I'll say this. My trainer has me on 3,000-4,000 mg of sodium per day, due to my heavy lifting 5x week. Obviously, this situation isn't for everyone.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Since you're in the Weight Gaining and Body Building forum, I'll say this. My trainer has me on 3,000-4,000 mg of sodium per day, due to my heavy lifting 5x week. Obviously, this situation isn't for everyone.

Pretty much. Every person will have to figure out their own limits on this.

I'm on the opposite end. Unless I am running keto, I have to stay below 3000g/day, or I end up looking like a bloated corpse. When you consider that I lift 4x/week and walk 10-18 miles per day, this seems absurd, but it is what it is.
  • JB035
    JB035 Posts: 336 Member
    If you want to keep it lower don't eat/drink 2 CUPS of EGGS!! Dude I'd hate to get trapped in a room with you.
  • crackpotbaby
    crackpotbaby Posts: 1,297 Member
    zyxst wrote: »
    Do you have medical issues that are affected by sodium like high blood pressure? If not, I wouldn't worry about being over on sodium.

If you are bothered by it you can always make things from scratch rather than using a packet (like the grits and eggs). Not sure how many eggs are in what you logged, but 6 whole, large eggs are around 400 sodium.

Why wait for the medical issues to present themselves before aiming for an evidenced based RDI intake of sodium?

Generally avoiding packaged/processed foods etc is a good way to stay within recommended limits, OP.

(Incidentally I need extra/normal sodium due to a medical issue)
  • FitOldMomma
    FitOldMomma Posts: 790 Member
    Hmmmm, seems the count on your eggs is way off. One large egg has about 70mg. The correct number for 2 cups of eggs (10?) should be 700mg.

• ccsernica
    ccsernica Posts: 1,040 Member
    edited February 2017
    First, I'd suggest making your own grits starting with something like Quaker Oats grits, either old-fashioned or quick, rather than use prepackaged. Real grits have no sodium in them until you add salt. http://www.quakeroats.com/products/hot-cereals/grits/quick-grits.aspx Whatever brand you're using here (it comes in packets?) looks to be pre-seasoned, and probably with too much salt.

Second, what's going on with those eggs? One large 50g egg has about 62 mg of sodium. And measuring by the cup? Who does that? I scramble up a certain number of eggs, and it's whatever weight it comes out to. If you can't find an appropriate scrambled egg entry that gives nutrition info by weight, create your own recipe using the calories from raw eggs plus however much salt you add in cooking besides other ingredients you might toss in. That's a MASSIVE amount of sodium right there, and I can't imagine how that might happen.
  • jdscrubs32
    jdscrubs32 Posts: 514 Member
    Looks like there are a few generic items that you have inputted from the database like the eggs. Input whatever brand of eggs you are having which probably have less sodium.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,373 MFP Moderator
    I don't stress sodium. It's a critical electrolyte and those who are more active do require a bit more sodium. It should be noted, that if you do eat higher levels of sodium, that you should increase potassium and magnesium. This will balance your electrolytes and help prevent wild swings in weight.

Dr. Norton has a pretty good vlog on it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UbKk9tbNrfQ