Pasta measure dilemma

Hi all. I have pasta measure dilemma.
The nutrient values says 75 carbs per 100gr. It doesn't says if its cooked or not. After boiling the ration is 3:1, means the pasta weight 3 times more than before it was cooked. This is how I calculate. I put 180gr of cooked pasta and then in my calculator I put only 60 gr so it gives me 45gr of carbs per meal. Does this sounds logical to you?

Replies

• rachelr1116
    rachelr1116 Posts: 334 Member
    All of the pasta I've ever bought has the grams listed as not cooked. I weigh out how many servings I want to make (usually 4 because I cook enough for the whole family), then cook it, then weigh it again and take that weight and divide by 4 to see how many grams one cooked serving is. When I log it I just use the uncooked entry.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    The nutrition info is for uncooked/dry pasta.

If you are not cooking for just yourself, I would suggest weighing out one serving of dry pasta, boiling it, and then putting it in a measuring cup so you can see how much volume it has. From then on, just use the measuring cup to serve out your portion. FWIW, I've done this and one serving of the pasta I use is a generous (slightly heaping) 1 measuring cup portion. When I serve it to myself, I use one flat measuring cupful each time.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,932 Member
    A single serving of pasta is generally 56g uncooked and around 40g carbs for whole grain pasta, so you're pretty close, I'd say.
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,964 Member
    All of the pasta I've ever bought has the grams listed as not cooked. I weigh out how many servings I want to make (usually 4 because I cook enough for the whole family), then cook it, then weigh it again and take that weight and divide by 4 to see how many grams one cooked serving is. When I log it I just use the uncooked entry.

This is exactly what I do too.
  • richln
    richln Posts: 809 Member
    GGorast wrote: »
    The nutrient values says 75 carbs per 100gr. It doesn't says if its cooked or not. After boiling the ration is 3:1, means the pasta weight 3 times more than before it was cooked. This is how I calculate. I put 180gr of cooked pasta and then in my calculator I put only 60 gr so it gives me 45gr of carbs per meal. Does this sounds logical to you?

Yes. In my personal experiments with different kinds of pastas, I have gotten cooked:raw weight ratios between 1:0.31 and 1:0.37, so the 3:1 ratio is a very good estimate IMHO.
  • GGorast
    GGorast Posts: 6 Member
    richln wrote: »

Yes. In my personal experiments with different kinds of pastas, I have gotten cooked:raw weight ratios between 1:0.31 and 1:0.37, so the 3:1 ratio is a very good estimate IMHO.

Its not estimate. I boiled 1kg of pasta and it become 3kg after cooking. I tried 5 times and it varies by 1-3 grams on 1kg which is not much.
  • cuadrado12
    cuadrado12 Posts: 43 Member
    I would think it is for the dry weight unless otherwise specified.
  • GGorast
    GGorast Posts: 6 Member
    Ok. So in 300gr of BOILED pasta I have 75gr carbs?
  • richln
    richln Posts: 809 Member
    Ok. So in 300gr of BOILED pasta I have 75gr carbs?

Yes. 300 g cooked has same nutrition data as 100 g dry. The label states the nutrition data for dry.
  • comptonelizabeth
    comptonelizabeth Posts: 1,701 Member
    Usually it means uncooked. Some of the pasta and rice I buy actually lists both;eg the rice I buy says that 75grams of uncooked = 180 of cooked and it lists calories for both (which,confusingly,are different)