Top Calorie burner exercises

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    zdyb23456 wrote: »
    Running. Bonus is the that it takes less time. I can run 30 minutes, but it would take me an hour doing something else.

But 30 minutes running would only get me 300 cals max
  • ironhajee
    ironhajee Posts: 384 Member
    Cycling on an indoor stationary bike is very low impact on joints .... running for a beginner can be painful if overweight so building up cardio by using a "stationary bike" AKA a spin bike is very useful

It also burns killer amounts of calories and you can go forever. Sometimes the workout can get very boring so I recommend breaking this up into 30 minute segments. In between these 30 minutes, keep your heart rate up by doing some skip rope.

Set the bike to a low resistance but not too low, something that you can sustain for 30 minutes (bring a towel you will sweat). Find a nice music Playlist that keeps you focussed and entertained complete 30 minutes on easy level and then jump off and do some skipping then jump back on the bike for another easy 30 minutes!!

Today I did 30 minutes spin bike then 30 minutes skipping then 30 minutes spin bike and I've burned (980 Calories approximation)
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    ... or ride a bike outdoors, from one place to another.
  • happysherri
    happysherri Posts: 1,360 Member
    HIIT cardio - look free workouts up online. Plyometrics or jump training.
  • NorthCascades
    Definitely NOT hiit cardio.
  • Kcash1996
    Kcash1996 Posts: 15 Member
    In my opinion, it really depends on the amount of intensity you put into it, the amount of calories burned is different for everyone based upon weight, height, and intensity. I notice a much bigger difference from crossfit than any other exercise I have done in the past.
  • teicu1
    teicu1 Posts: 71 Member
    Check out this calculator -- https://www.healthstatus.com/calculate/cbc It’ll give you estimations of calories burned for a tremendous variety of activities.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,879 Member
    It's far more important for you to find something you enjoy doing and will do and stick with consistently than choosing one form of exercise over another because of energy expenditure. Also, there's a lot that goes into energy expenditure...it's not really a matter of this particular exercise burns more calories than that exercise...I cycle and I can have different calorie burns for the same amount of time spent depending on my speed, cadence, hills, head winds, etc.
  • RunningMom1038
    RunningMom1038 Posts: 144 Member
    arya8 wrote: »
    For me, it's Tae Bo. It's a lot of fun, and you can do it at home.

LOVE Tae-Bo ever since I was a kid! Turbo Jam is great, as well. Very similar.

My main form of exercise is running. I can burn 300 calories in just 30 minutes with the pace I keep. I'm continuing to work on my endurance so I can burn even more.
  • Zumaria1
    Zumaria1 Posts: 225 Member
    Zumba is the best workout for me, since I love to dance. It also burns tons of calories in a short time. I use the Wii version, and it tells you how many calories you burn per session.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Calories burned during exercise depends more on HOW you do the exercise than WHAT you do. Calorie burn is based on intensity --i.e. Oxygen uptake(VO2) (and weight, but we are comparing exercises for the same person). The higher the workload the higher the VO2 and the more calories burned. If VO2 is the same, then the rate of calories burned MUST also be the same, regardless of the activity.

Depending on the person, they might have the physical ability to perform some movements better than others so that they can achieve a certain VO2 level easier, but that is a different issue. That activity won't be the same for everyone.

In general, it is easier to reach higher intensities with exercises that involve more muscles and have more dynamic movements. Think running and cross country skiing compared to stationary cycling. However, with training, one can usually reach equivalency, or close to it.

High Intensity Interval training will burn calories at a high rate during the work interval, a lesser amount during the recovery interval and a few more during the "afterburn". However, since the length of the workouts are so much shorter, I don't think they can really be seen as super "calorie burners". The biggest advantage for HIIT is more time efficiency--i.e. You can get a decent total burn in a relatively short time.

As others have said, you will achieve FAR better results (and ultimately a much bigger calorie burn) doing something you enjoy than if you just pick an exercise based on claims of a big calorie burn.
  • jennybearlv
    jennybearlv Posts: 1,519 Member
    I burn the most road cycling. It seems to be something I enjoy doing for hours at a time with some intensity.

Zumba is a good burn too. The motivating environment is the only thing that could make me want to do high impact aerobics for an hour straight. I don't go that hard running by myself no matter how good the music is.

Don't do yoga for the burn though. I wore my HRM to class once out of curiosity and I'm pretty sure I burn more sleeping.
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    I love hiking. The fact is, it takes energy to lift a pound to the top of the mountain. Therefore, the more pounds you weigh, the more calories it will take to get there. You burn pretty much the same if you run, or go slow and take rests. Fast is power and you get done faster. Take your time, enjoy it and rest when you need to. However, give yourself plenty of time. I have a favorite trail that is 2 miles long and the vertical gain is around .25 miles. You will burn thousands of calories, not hundreds each hike. Get a good pair of hiking boots, a good camel back water back pack and pack some food in case you hit the wall.

Remember, diet trumps so if you are thinking you will exercise really hard instead of eating reasonably, you won't lose much weight. I'd make sure your diet is providing at least 1 pound per week of weight loss and you can get the other pound exercising.

No way will you burn thousands with a 2 mile hike. I walk 12kms most days (around 8 miles I think) and that is only around 500 calories.
  • chyna7777
    chyna7777 Posts: 13 Member
    You guys are awesome! Thank u so much for your advice. We all have different knowledge we can share with eachother and thats so amazing. My all time favourite burner is boxing and kickboxing. Its great for stress and i feel.like a need to hit something sometimes in this.hectic world! Thank u all from sydney aus
  • powered85
    powered85 Posts: 297 Member
    Running or really brisk walking.

Love insanity too but using a heart rate monitor with insanity i think it's tough to get accurate calorie burn. Think i burn more than the hrm says as it's mixed cardio and strength involved.
  • NorthCascades
    Azdak wrote: »
    In general, it is easier to reach higher intensities with exercises that involve more muscles and have more dynamic movements. Think running and cross country skiing compared to stationary cycling.

As others have said, you will achieve FAR better results (and ultimately a much bigger calorie burn) doing something you enjoy than if you just pick an exercise based on claims of a big calorie burn.

I burned around 1,800 calories cross country skiing today. It took more than 3 hours, which was pure bliss. Rain at home, falling snow on the mountain. Fun coming down the hills. Fall into a rhythm going up the hills. Plus, I was getting to know some new gear today. As you said, it's easier to burn a lot on skis because it's a full body workout, and because I enjoy it.

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/1580142284
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,706 Member
    I like cycling and walking ... but climbing stairs in my office building burns the most calories.
  • LazyButHealthy
    LazyButHealthy Posts: 257 Member
    Lillymoo01 wrote: »
    I love hiking. The fact is, it takes energy to lift a pound to the top of the mountain. Therefore, the more pounds you weigh, the more calories it will take to get there. You burn pretty much the same if you run, or go slow and take rests. Fast is power and you get done faster. Take your time, enjoy it and rest when you need to. However, give yourself plenty of time. I have a favorite trail that is 2 miles long and the vertical gain is around .25 miles. You will burn thousands of calories, not hundreds each hike. Get a good pair of hiking boots, a good camel back water back pack and pack some food in case you hit the wall.

Remember, diet trumps so if you are thinking you will exercise really hard instead of eating reasonably, you won't lose much weight. I'd make sure your diet is providing at least 1 pound per week of weight loss and you can get the other pound exercising.

No way will you burn thousands with a 2 mile hike. I walk 12kms most days (around 8 miles I think) and that is only around 500 calories.

Yes 'thousands' seems a stretch for 2 mile walk, even at that elevation.

I covered over 16km/10 miles today between gym session (interval running followed by 10% incline walk) and local walks in the space of 4 hours and burnt maximum 1,000.
  • jcpolk1856
    jcpolk1856 Posts: 20 Member
    Sure. In my experience racquetball, swimming, and any combo of running/bike/elliptical works best
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,717 Member
    Loving the thing is the big deal - if you love it, you'll want to do more of it. If you do more of it, you'll burn more calories. If you really love it, you'll want to do other active things to improve how well you do the thing you love. It's a virtuous cycle!

Beyond that, things that use more of the body are better burners, IMO. I really like my spin classes a lot, and have been going regularly twice a week for about a decade (literally - even while obese). But my real love, my real sport, is rowing, ideally on-water, but machines if I must.

It's much easier for me to max my heart rate in rowing intervals than anything I do, and I don't think I've ever been able to get to max HR with spin.

Why? Using more of the body - legs, glutes, back, arms in rowing - beats using less of it - mostly lower body, in spin. I can get to lower anaerobic threshold HR levels in spin, if I work really, really hard. I can max my HR - to a tested max - on the rowing machine, pretty readily.

Higher intensity = more calories per minute. Yes, higher intensity means you can continue for fewer minutes, at any given fitness level. But duration improves, with improving endurance.

I'm not trying to tell you that rowing is magic. It isn't. But things that use more of the body can lead to better calorie burn than things that use less of the body, if calorie burn is your goal. (P.S. Fun should be your goal. Just my opinion. ;) ).