Strong Curves Question - Want to lower hip measurement

hablondi
hablondi Posts: 127 Member
Hi! I am starting to research lifting programs. I am not new to lifting weights, but haven't lifted heavy in a few years (did Jamie Eason's Live Fit Trainer a few summers ago).

Anyway, I was looking into Strong Curves because of all the good things that have been said about it on this site. In looking at the testimonials on the website, I see lots of women talking about how many inches they have gained in their backside. I admit to giggling a bit, because inches in my backside is not something that I have ever had to worry about! Even when I was 118 pounds and very low body fat I had a sizable backside.

That being said, is this a program that is good for pear shaped women like myself who would like to lower the number of inches in their hip measurement? Or should I stay away and look for something else?

Replies

• 2011rocket3touring
    2011rocket3touring Posts: 1,346 Member
    ...you had me at "sizable backside".
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    I can't make a recommendation on a lifting program (I just use dumbbells at home) but here in solidarity for the sizeable butted!
  • hablondi
    I can't make a recommendation on a lifting program (I just use dumbbells at home) but here in solidarity for the sizeable butted!

Yes! I knew I was not alone. I am also amazed at the products you can buy to pad out your hips and backside. Something I have never needed - lol.

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,373 MFP Moderator
    So what are your goals? What equipment will you have access to?
  • psuLemon

You can always look at my link. There are a few dumbbell programs and they are pretty good.
  • hablondi
    psuLemon wrote: »

Right now I am still working on losing fat. I am about 20 pounds away from goal weight having already lost 30 pounds. I have been using a program that is based on aerobic weight training. It's working great for fat loss and maintaining muscle mass. My calories are set at 1500 a day. I am 5'4' and 147 pounds with a goal of 125.

My goals beyond the fat loss phase would be to build muscle and lower my body fat percentage. Do most people wait until they are at goal weight before trying to build muscle since it requires eating at a surplus?

At one point in my life I was 118 with a BF % of between 18-20%. My ultimate goal would be to get back to that, but I am not sure if it is possible at 40 and after four kids

I have a full gym membership, so I have access to just about everything.

Thanks!
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    You can do it while you cut, sure. I personally just did a strength program while I cut. I'm 5'4" as well and started with 44inch hips at 163. By the time I cut down to 128 my hips were 37 inches. I got them as small as I could, so I could build it back up better. I used some of the Strong Curves lifts to do it.
  • hablondi
    bbell1985 wrote: »
    You can do it while you cut, sure. I personally just did a strength program while I cut. I'm 5'4" as well and started with 44inch hips at 163. By the time I cut down to 128 my hips were 37 inches. I got them as small as I could, so I could build it back up better. I used some of the Strong Curves lifts to do it.

When I was 118lbs I had 34" hips and a 24" waist. I was also 20 years younger - lol. Even though I know it is probably unrealistic at this point due to bone changes from pregnancy, I would love to get back to that.

I would be very happy with a hip measurement of 37 inches. What did you build them back up to?

BTW - You look amazing in your profile pic. Great job!!!
  • bbell1985
    hablondi wrote: »
    bbell1985 wrote: »

When I was 118lbs I had 34" hips and a 24" waist. I was also 20 years younger - lol. Even though I know it is probably unrealistic at this point due to bone changes from pregnancy, I would love to get back to that.

I would be very happy with a hip measurement of 37 inches. What did you build them back up to?

BTW - You look amazing in your profile pic. Great job!!!

I'm back up to 40 inches.

37 was the smallest I have ever been in my adult life. I had a pancake butt though. People tell me not to do that again lol.
  • hablondi
    edited February 2017

37 was the smallest I have ever been in my adult life. I had a pancake butt though. People tell me not to do that again lol.

Haha - even at 34" I definitely didn't have a pancake butt. My mama and daddy both had big butts and the apple doesn't fall far from the tree. I never looked at it as a good thing. Probably because of the way my mama viewed hers. Guess I might need to start readjusting my perspective.
  • bbell1985

Haha - even at 34" I definitely didn't have a pancake butt. My mama and daddy both had big butts and the apple doesn't fall far from the tree. I never looked at it as a good thing. Probably bcause of the way my mama viewed hers. Guess I might need to start readjusting my perspective.

Mine is huge. I don't mind it. I have no chest. I like having something somewhere
  • psuLemon

Right now I am still working on losing fat. I am about 20 pounds away from goal weight having already lost 30 pounds. I have been using a program that is based on aerobic weight training. It's working great for fat loss and maintaining muscle mass. My calories are set at 1500 a day. I am 5'4' and 147 pounds with a goal of 125.

My goals beyond the fat loss phase would be to build muscle and lower my body fat percentage. Do most people wait until they are at goal weight before trying to build muscle since it requires eating at a surplus?

At one point in my life I was 118 with a BF % of between 18-20%. My ultimate goal would be to get back to that, but I am not sure if it is possible at 40 and after four kids

I have a full gym membership, so I have access to just about everything.

Thanks!

So you can build some muscle in a deficit if conditions are right. Being new to weight training, adequate calories and protein, a solid progressive overload lifting program, moderate deficit and genetics will help determine that. At worse, you retain your current muscle mass. At best, you build a few lbs. Either way, the answer to your question... yes, people do wait, but i would advise against. Its even more important during weight loss so you can address the above.

Whether or not you should do StrongCurves or not is based on if you want a lot of glute focused training. If you don't, you can always look at other programs like NROL4W or Thinner Lean Stronger. If you dont want programs specifically targeted at women, then StrongLift and Starting Strength are also solid programs.

Regardless of the program you follow, the key is start light and learn form. Nothing will drive more muscle recruitment and prevent injury like good form.
  • FreyasRebirth
    FreyasRebirth Posts: 514 Member
    Well, I don't think the measurement around is the only one to matter. Front to back width is different than side to side width. A small front-to-back (vs side-to-side) is going to give you pancake butt. You could have a large hip measurement but still have a pancake butt. I don't know about that specific program but I'd be happy with anything that could focus my behind actually behind me.
  • hablondi
    Well, I don't think the measurement around is the only one to matter. Front to back width is different than side to side width. A small front-to-back (vs side-to-side) is going to give you pancake butt. You could have a large hip measurement but still have a pancake butt. I don't know about that specific program but I'd be happy with anything that could focus my behind actually behind me.

This makes a lot of sense and something that I was thinking about last night actually. Right now mine is side and back. I would love to lose the side part and keep the behind me part :)

• VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member

You can always look at my link. There are a few dumbbell programs and they are pretty good.

Thanks, I have looked into them before and I think it something I'm going to move onto. I primarily use Fitness Blender at the moment but that style of training doesn't lend itself to strength gains too much, I'm happy plodding along finding my way around as I go, changing things when I feel it's time.
  • psuLemon

Thanks, I have looked into them before and I think it something I'm going to move onto. I primarily use Fitness Blender at the moment but that style of training doesn't lend itself to strength gains too much, I'm happy plodding along finding my way around as I go, changing things when I feel it's time.

Cool. Let me know if you have questions.
  • dvannetzel
    dvannetzel Posts: 6 Member
    Maybe look into the ketogenic diet. Keep them carbs low, high fat, moderate protein. It will cut the fat, but hopefully keep your muscle mass.
  • psuLemon
    dvannetzel wrote: »
    Maybe look into the ketogenic diet. Keep them carbs low, high fat, moderate protein. It will cut the fat, but hopefully keep your muscle mass.

Based on the OPs goals, i wouldnt advise this. At best, if her protein is high enough, she would sustain muscle. But if you have a goal to maximize the ability to gain some muscle in a deficit than carbs are highly beneficial. Their anticatabolic properties prevent protein breakdown and can improve protein synthesis.

And to be semantically correct, keto will only cut fat if the OP can achieve a deficit.
  • dvannetzel
    dvannetzel Posts: 6 Member
    Well put. Hard training, and commitment will help. Do not expect miracles overnight. Lifestyle changes. Keto diet is good in so many other ways, inflammation. You become more insulin sensitive, good for diabetics or potential diabetics. And eventually decrease your appetite, added energy levels. I would at the least recommend she research it herself.