Sleep!

2»

Replies

• comptonelizabeth
    comptonelizabeth Posts: 1,701 Member
    sardelsa wrote: »
    I think if your lack of sleep is starting to negatively affect your workouts (too tired to perform, not progressing etc) then that can be a problem for building muscle for sure. Otherwise, you are fine. Is it the most optimal and ideal? Maybe not.. but despite my lack of sleep (6h on a good night, much less on a bad night.. and there have been a lot of bad nights..) I am able to perform and I am building muscle fairly adequately.

Thanks. There are days when I think I'm too tired to work out but I do it anyway - I don't know how much it affects it as I've nothing to compare it with. Thanks and it helps that I'm not the only one and to know you're progressing.
  • awinner_au
    awinner_au Posts: 249 Member
    I'm also reassured ,after doing a bit of research , to find that the 7-8 hours thing is not cut and dried and varies between individuals. So I'm going to try not to stress about it (which anyway makes it worse. )

It does vary, it is also cumulative. So if you are getting enough sleep over the day then its fine. Before the advent of lighting at night peoples sleep was Bi-phasic apparently. If you are getting five hours in a stretch and then catching up during the day you should be fine for muscle growth, not sure how that will affect cognitive function as you are probably reducing the amount of REM sleep you get.
  • comptonelizabeth
    awinner_au wrote: »
    I'm also reassured ,after doing a bit of research , to find that the 7-8 hours thing is not cut and dried and varies between individuals. So I'm going to try not to stress about it (which anyway makes it worse. )

It does vary, it is also cumulative. So if you are getting enough sleep over the day then its fine. Before the advent of lighting at night peoples sleep was Bi-phasic apparently. If you are getting five hours in a stretch and then catching up during the day you should be fine for muscle growth, not sure how that will affect cognitive function as you are probably reducing the amount of REM sleep you get.

Yes,I've read that too.
    Last night I surpassed myself by waking at 4.30 after three and a half hours sleep - and I'd avoided napping in the day in the hope that I'd sleep longer at night.
    I'm officially at my wits end and planning to see the doctor this week!
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    edited February 2017
    So,last night I tried just delaying my bedtime. Went to bed at midnight and still only slept 5 hours but waking at 5.30 is a hell of a lot better than 3.30.
    I'd still like to know though;does getting less sleep affect muscle growth? As everything I've read,including on here,suggests that getting 7-8 hours sleep is crucial for this?

Everyone is different, but most of the strength and conditioning experts I follow say a minimum of 7 hours for athletic performance.

If you get up at night to use the bathroom, avoid turning on the lights (if you can get around without hurting yourself). The bright lights can trick some people into thinking it's daytime. If needed use a couple small nightlights.
  • comptonelizabeth
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    So,last night I tried just delaying my bedtime. Went to bed at midnight and still only slept 5 hours but waking at 5.30 is a hell of a lot better than 3.30.
    I'd still like to know though;does getting less sleep affect muscle growth? As everything I've read,including on here,suggests that getting 7-8 hours sleep is crucial for this?

Everyone is different, but most of the strength and conditioning experts I follow say a minimum of 7 hours for athletic performance.

If you get up at night to use the bathroom, avoid turning on the lights (if you can get around without hurting yourself). The bright lights can trick some people into thinking it's daytime. If needed use a couple small nightlights.

Thanks. The lights outside our bathroom are pretty bright so I'll try dimming them .
  • MimiGroveOwen
    MimiGroveOwen Posts: 9 Member
    I keep reading here that sleep is really important for weight gain/bulking. But since I started gaining,for some reason my stupid body has decided I only need 4-5 hours sleep each night!
    I have tried everything - good "sleep hygiene ", going to bed earlier/later, not eating late in the evening,not drinking close to bedtime. I've also tried having a snack before bedtime as often I wake up hungry. I even borrowed a friend's light box to see if I could reset my body clock. Nothing seems to work.
    It wouldn't worry me if I felt ok but I don't- I'm shattered! And it affects my workouts.
    Is it just an age thing ( I'm 61)? Any tips would be gratefully received. I don't want to go down the medication route- I'm already on a bunch of meds for a chronic illness! And how much does it actually affect muscle gain?
    Thanks in advance!

Edit just to say I have no problem falling asleep- I just don't stay asleep for long enough!

I struggle with sleep from time to time. If I'm not sleeping, it's usually because I'm wide awake about 3:30 or 4:00 after 4 or 5 hours of decent sleep. I used to toss and turn and try to force myself to go back to sleep, with only fitful success until around 6:00 or 7:00 a.m. I finally just started getting up, going ahead and making some coffee, and watching TV or doing email until around 6:00 or 7:00. By then I'm usually tired enough to get back in the bed and resleep until around 9:00 or 10:00. I'm retired, so I can do this. And believe me, resleep is the BEST.
  • MimiGroveOwen
    MimiGroveOwen Posts: 9 Member
    I struggle with sleep from time to time. If I'm not sleeping, it's usually because I'm wide awake about 3:30 or 4:00 after 4 or 5 hours of decent sleep. I used to toss and turn and try to force myself to go back to sleep, with only fitful success until around 6:00 or 7:00 a.m. I finally just started getting up, going ahead and making some coffee, and watching TV or doing email until around 6:00 or 7:00. By then I'm usually tired enough to get back in the bed and resleep until around 9:00 or 10:00. I'm retired, so I can do this. And believe me, resleep is the BEST.
  • comptonelizabeth
    Lol - I am retired too but can't shake the feeling that it's wrong to go back to bed! Thank you- I will try it x
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Lol - I am retired too but can't shake the feeling that it's wrong to go back to bed! Thank you- I will try it x

I've started doing it on the weekends, and I can honestly say that it's helped. I usually get up between 1:30-3:00 am. I'll hit a few miles walking, eat a big breakfast, then crash back out for an extra couple of hours before the sun comes up. It's going to be harder to do in the summer though, with dawn cracking around 5:30 some days.
  • comptonelizabeth

I've started doing it on the weekends, and I can honestly say that it's helped. I usually get up between 1:30-3:00 am. I'll hit a few miles walking, eat a big breakfast, then crash back out for an extra couple of hours before the sun comes up. It's going to be harder to do in the summer though, with dawn cracking around 5:30 some days.

Yeah - I find it harder in the summer too,and I'm by the sea so....seagulls!
    It's reassuring to know I'm not a freak. I've been looking up stuff about insomnia but to me,this isn't classic insomnia as I've no problem falling asleep.