How to maintain weight

Hello i was 120kg in may 2016. Now i weight 80kg. How do i keep same and how much calories should i eat a day. Any help

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Set up MFP to maintenance and eat the calories it gives you.
  • adam_special_1
    adam_special_1 Posts: 5 Member
    Ive got 10kg to loss yet
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    I've been trying to figure how to maintain almost as long as I've been trying to figure how to lose. Here's where I am right now. I'm 13 lb away from my target goal, and have lost 4+ lb in the past week. Partly, I've exercised a lot, but not 4 lb worth. Anyway, today I reached the Healthy BMI of 24.9 for the first time and I'm going to deliberately raise my calories a little bit today and see how that plays out over the next few days. I've long recognized that my calorie deficit is built during my workday as I've learned to resist the freely available snacks and candy at work. Today I raised my workplace calories just a bit. My "home" calories aren't changing.
  • HarpingOn
    HarpingOn Posts: 55 Member
    I dropped from 147kg to 69Kg. 69 was where I wanted to be. Tried to maintain, but in a year, crept up to 79Kg, not good. Back at 71Kg at the moment, so 2Kg to go to get back to goal. Honestly I found/find maintenance much harder than weight loss, because the temptation to eat more because I'm not trying to lose weight is much stronger. When I'm in a mindset of losing, I find much more self discipline.
  • JohnnyPenso
    JohnnyPenso Posts: 412 Member
    I've been trying to figure how to maintain almost as long as I've been trying to figure how to lose. Here's where I am right now. I'm 13 lb away from my target goal, and have lost 4+ lb in the past week. Partly, I've exercised a lot, but not 4 lb worth. Anyway, today I reached the Healthy BMI of 24.9 for the first time and I'm going to deliberately raise my calories a little bit today and see how that plays out over the next few days. I've long recognized that my calorie deficit is built during my workday as I've learned to resist the freely available snacks and candy at work. Today I raised my workplace calories just a bit. My "home" calories aren't changing.
    Congratulations on breaking the magic 25 barrier! A few days isn't long enough to see what is happening with a change in caloric intake. Water retention alone can make your weight vary up and down a few pounds so it's easy to mistake short term gains or losses to diet when in fact it's not. Your 4 lb weight loss in the last week for example, likely includes a lot of water weight. You'd need a calorie deficit of 14, 000 or 2000 per day to lose 4 lbs of actual bodyweight (fat and muscle).

• lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Maintenance is not one exact weight. Most people find it best to set a 5 lb range. When you get to the top of the range, resume a 250-500 call deficit & log until you get back to mid range. So far this has worked well for me for about 6 months.
  • STEVE142142
    STEVE142142 Posts: 867 Member
    Maintenance is a learning process. January 1st 2016 my weight was 288. I went into maintenance September 2016 weighing about 220 pounds. I thought I'd be happy there and I was happy to be at that weight.

Totally screwed maintenance up my current weight is 208. I like where I am now.

It's just a matter of playing around with your calories based on the mfp app and learning from that. What you have to remember is the mfp guidelines are a general guideline everybody's going to vary and you really have to figure it out yourself it takes time but you will get there
  • adam_special_1
    adam_special_1 Posts: 5 Member
    HarpingOn wrote: »
    I dropped from 147kg to 69Kg. 69 was where I wanted to be. Tried to maintain, but in a year, crept up to 79Kg, not good. Back at 71Kg at the moment, so 2Kg to go to get back to goal. Honestly I found/find maintenance much harder than weight loss, because the temptation to eat more because I'm not trying to lose weight is much stronger. When I'm in a mindset of losing, I find much more self discipline.

You done relly well mate
  • JB035
    JB035 Posts: 336 Member
    Keep bumping your cals up by 200 every week until your weight stops going down.