I don't think I'm doing this right guys

If someone would be so kind as to look at my diary. I've eliminated all of my "fun" foods and meal replacements and replaced them with foods I thought would give me more protein and less sugar. By doing this it seems like I'm headed in a direction to go OVER my calorie goals but my macros are looking better...I guess.

I'm still struggling to get my protein in; but why am I going so far over my calorie goals?

This week my largest meal has been breakfast, so I'm guessing I should replace my whole milk Greek yogurt with something less calorie dense

I'm really at a total loss here, because even if I replace that I wouldn't have enough calories to make dinner...¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I've always read that in order to lose fat you must burn more calories than you eat...do people really burn over 1200 calories in a day? Is this really how it works?

Replies

• JusPrettyMe
    JusPrettyMe Posts: 26 Member
    My diary will look pretty much like this for the next couple weeks...so if there's something I can nip in the bud now...that'll be great
  • sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    If someone would be so kind as to look at my diary. I've eliminated all of my "fun" foods and meal replacements and replaced them with foods I thought would give me more protein and less sugar. By doing this it seems like I'm headed in a direction to go OVER my calorie goals but my macros are looking better...I guess.

I'm still struggling to get my protein in; but why am I going so far over my calorie goals?

This week my largest meal has been breakfast, so I'm guessing I should replace my whole milk Greek yogurt with something less calorie dense

I'm really at a total loss here, because even if I replace that I wouldn't have enough calories to make dinner...¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I've always read that in order to lose fat you must burn more calories than you eat...do people really burn over 1200 calories in a day? Is this really how it works?

I'm 5'3" and 142lbs and I burn about 1400 just being alive.

Perhaps your calorie goal is too low?

What are your stats?

How much do you want to lose? If you told MFP you want to lose 2lbs per week, that's only safe if you have over 100lbs to lose, so it may have bottomed out when giving you a number.

• JusPrettyMe
    I am 5'2 and 160lbs and I need to lose close to 20, but I'll take inches over pounds any day...thing is...I've been struggling to lose ANYTHING over here! And I really think it's because I'm not eating the right things and it's really becoming frustrating.

MFP gave me 1200 calories...are you telling me 2 lbs a week is unrealistic? I thought that was the most sensible goal........see........lost
  • jessiebethin
    jessiebethin Posts: 30 Member
    Your diary looks really healthy but you need more protein (I struggle with this too). If I were you, I may eliminate the oats at breakfast (so you don't go much over your calories) and for dinner have a tuna steak or another fish based meal (fish is really high in protein and low in calories). And yes, you will burn 1200 calories in a day even if you are fairly sedentary, but upping your activity will help you create even more of a calorie deficit. Best of Luck!
  • sammyliftsandeats
    I am 5'2 and 160lbs and I need to lose close to 20, but I'll take inches over pounds any day...thing is...I've been struggling to lose ANYTHING over here! And I really think it's because I'm not eating the right things and it's really becoming frustrating.

MFP gave me 1200 calories...are you telling me 2 lbs a week is unrealistic? I thought that was the most sensible goal........see........lost

If you want to lose 20 lbs, set it to lose 1lb per week. Maybe even half a pound if you don't want to be too hungry.

2lbs a week is for if you have A LOT of weight to lose. You're setting yourself up for a huge struggle if you try to lose 2lbs per week AND risking malnutrition.
  • JusPrettyMe
    Your diary looks really healthy but you need more protein (I struggle with this too). If I were you, I may eliminate the oats at breakfast (so you don't go much over your calories) and for dinner have a tuna steak or another fish based meal (fish is really high in protein and low in calories). And yes, you will burn 1200 calories in a day even if you are fairly sedentary, but upping your activity will help you create even more of a calorie deficit. Best of Luck!

Fish...I always forgot about the fish girl! Thanks for reminding me
  • JusPrettyMe
    edited April 2017
    If you want to lose 20 lbs, set it to lose 1lb per week. Maybe even half a pound if you don't want to be too hungry.

2lbs a week is for if you have A LOT of weight to lose. You're setting yourself up for a huge struggle if you try to lose 2lbs per week AND risking malnutrition.

And struggling is exactly what I've been doing. I just reset my goals and that took me to 1700 calories a day...this scares me, but you're the second person today to tell me this so it must work!

Thanks for the feedback!
  • annacole94
    annacole94 Posts: 997 Member
    1700 will be enough for you to eat enough healthy food to feel good. Weight loss will take longer, but you'll be so much happier. It's much easier to succeed at a slower pace where you're not starving all the time.
  • KickboxFanatic
    KickboxFanatic Posts: 184 Member
    With only 20 lbs to lose you'll want to aim for a slower rate of loss. Reset your MFP settings to lose .5 lb a week, eat that plus approximately 50% of exercise calories.

OR

Use a TDEE calculator to determine your TDEE and macros and set your MFP settings for those calories and macros and do not eat back your exercise calories.
  • sammyliftsandeats

And struggling is exactly what I've been doing. I just reset my goals and that took me to 1700 calories a day...this scares me, but you're the second person today to tell me this so it must work!

Thanks for the feedback!

Good luck.

It seems scary as the media likes to feed us lies that we NEED to be on 1200 calories to lose weight but it's not true for everyone. Try 1700 out for a few weeks, get yourself proper nutrition and even a treat every now and then. It will help your sanity.

No food is bad unless you are allergic to it or it is spoiled. I say this as I have fish tacos pre-planned into my day and am eating lighter the rest of the day. It's about balance.
  • Theo166
    Theo166 Posts: 2,564 Member
    Where did you get your target of 160g of protein daily?
  • JusPrettyMe
    Theo166 wrote: »

First I read an article that said my protein should be 45-50% of my macros. Other than that I just went by the defaults on MFP.

What is the ideal protein target for fat loss? I'm currently jogging about 3 times a week and doing heavy weights 1-2 times per week
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member

First I read an article that said my protein should be 45-50% of my macros. Other than that I just went by the defaults on MFP.

What is the ideal protein target for fat loss? I'm currently jogging about 3 times a week and doing heavy weights 1-2 times per week

Here's a reasonable (and evidence-based) way to set up your calories and macros: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/819055/setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets/p1
  • Theo166
    Theo166 Posts: 2,564 Member

my 2 cents - you aren't going to gain muscle when you are losing, so put your main focus on weight loss. Yes weights will help retain your muscle, but the sooner you get down to weight, the sooner you can really focus on building strength, etc.

There is a lot of macro advice around here, I suggest you look at multiple sources. Read up on Keto diets, they have a lot of supporting advice on high protein meal planning.

My macros are tweaked to represent what gives me satiety when I'm targeting 1% loss weekly: 40% Carbs / 35% Fat / 25%P. I couldn't easily hit a higher protein target unless I relied upon protein powder. I'm trying to focus on regular foods I'll also eat in maintenance.

• susanp57
    susanp57 Posts: 409 Member
    Hi fellow Tennessean,

I often struggle to get my calories in. You are welcome to take a look at my diary, it's open. Fish and chicken are much lower calorie foods and will help with your proteins. Are the chocolate bars for protein? Or just for the taste of chocolate??
  • Enjcg5
    Enjcg5 Posts: 389 Member
    It took me a while to understand it all too. The "burn" of just existing another day (breathing, walking to the car, etc) is not often taken into account. I never have or have the desire to burn 1,500 calories via exercise. So when people say they "burned" 2,500 calories with an hour of exercise.... I assume half of that is just their "being alive" burn
  • Stella3838
    Stella3838 Posts: 439 Member
    OP - For reference, I'm 5'4" with about 15 pounds to lose. I'm eating 1600-1800 calories a day and averaging about .5 to .75 pounds lost per week. (And most importantly I'm not starving! LOL!) I burn around 1700 calories on a lazier day and 2300 calories on an active day. Bumping up those calories some will help I think, plus easing up the per week goal. Good luck!!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,879 Member

You "burn" calories 24/7...you burn a crap ton of calories merely existing...the average female burns around 1,400 calories merely existing...your bodily functions require a great deal of energy. When people say "burn more than calories than you eat" it doesn't mean you burn those calories through deliberate exercise.

You burn calories existing...you burn calories going about your day to day...brushing your teeth, cooking, cleaning, driving to work, thinking, fidgeting, getting up to go to the bathroom, etc...and of course, deliberate exercise.

Protein doesn't really have anything to do with fat loss (though a higher protein diet will result in a slightly higher thermic effect to digest, but this is really majoring in the minors)...adequate protein is necessary for preserving lean mass and the more active you are, the more protein you would need to help with recovery and repair of damaged tissues from exercise...but 160 grams is pretty over the top.

I get around 0.6-0.8 grams per Lb of body weight...the higher end of the comes out to about 1 gram per Lb of LBM...any more than that, and you're really just making expensive glucose. I'm usually somewhere in between.
  • JusPrettyMe
    susanp57 wrote: »
    Hi fellow Tennessean,

I often struggle to get my calories in. You are welcome to take a look at my diary, it's open. Fish and chicken are much lower calorie foods and will help with your proteins. Are the chocolate bars for protein? Or just for the taste of chocolate??

Thank you for responding! The think thin bars were for protein. I found these to be high in protein with 0g of sugar