Brotein after Workout

I work out (power lifting, crossfit, running) fasted with BCAAs at 4:45 a.m. I'm 5'6" 127 lbs @16% BF (female). I'd ideally like to maintain my weight, but I don't want to sacrifice muscle. TDEE is about 2250, cals set to 2200 (165g carbs, 110g protein, 122g fat).

How necessary is to to have protein/food/shake/whatever soon after? I'd ideally prefer to wait to eat until I get to work at 8 a.m. because otherwise I tend to be super hungry and eat all day long, going over my cals, sometimes by A LOT.

Replies

• SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    If your goal is to not lose muscle I would speculate that you'll be fine provided that you're consuming adequate protein throughout the remaining meals.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Protein/meal timing isn't important. Total daily protein consumption is what counts.

As an aside point; if you consume BCAA's, you are not "fasted", not that it matters.
  • ocrXfitter
    ocrXfitter Posts: 123 Member
    Protein/meal timing isn't important. Total daily protein consumption is what counts.

As an aside point; if you consume BCAA's, you are not "fasted", not that it matters.

Interesting. I believe what I've read by Lyle McDonald mentions the use of BCAAs during IF. Regards, essentially what I want to do is not make myself hungrier than I need to before I'm ready to start eating.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    ocrXfitter wrote: »

Interesting. I believe what I've read by Lyle McDonald mentions the use of BCAAs during IF. Regards, essentially what I want to do is not make myself hungrier than I need to before I'm ready to start eating.

I think in some of his later work (no idea where unfortunately) he concluded that is caused enough of a metabolic/insulin response to "break" a fast.

Nontheless, this is being pedantic. Personally I stick to black coffee and water until I break my fast.
  • ocrXfitter
    ocrXfitter Posts: 123 Member
    ocrXfitter wrote: »

I think in some of his later work (no idea where unfortunately) he concluded that is caused enough of a metabolic/insulin response to "break" a fast.

Nontheless, this is being pedantic. Personally I stick to black coffee and water until I break my fast.

Ah, thank you for that (no citation needed, I'll take your word for it). I just can't drink plain water that early in the morning LOL
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    It's not necessary at all. You'll be fine.