Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Body Image or Health? what is the more important for you?

Replies

• heiliskrimsli
    heiliskrimsli Posts: 735 Member
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    TheRambler wrote: »
    all health here. I have my annual physical next Friday and the only numbers I'm excited for are: blood pressure, blood sugar, cholesterol and other blood levels. If the focus is health, the weight will follow suit (or so in my experience).

This is not true for me.

First of all, even when I was fat my tests (including the things you mention) were fine. So focusing on those things would not have been useful. My weight itself was the risk factor.

This is what I meant about smoking and alcoholism. Not having an actual diagnosable problem yet doesn't make the situation a healthy one.
    Second, I ate a pretty healthy diet (but for calories) when gaining weight, and yet I got fat, so the weight did not follow suit.

Thus, IMO, it's reasonable to be specifically concerned with weight when trying to focus on health. Not only concerned with weight, but concerned with it, yes.

I think a healthy diet also means the right calorie intake to maintain a healthy weight, not just what types of foods. The nutritional value of the food is definitely a part of having a healthy diet. I just think that maintaining a proper level of calorie intake is an inseparable part of having a healthy diet.
  • heiliskrimsli
    bizgirl26 wrote: »
    Health first ... I know a lot of thin people that have health problems ( high blood pressure, high cholesterol etc.. ) .Even my dad died at age 51 and he was thin . Of course I want to look good but what does that all mean without your health ?

This is like saying smoking isn't a problem because there are non-smokers who get lung cancer.

While it is true that there are thin people who get high blood pressure, high cholesterol, heart disease and who die young, that does not in any way indicate that being overweight or obese isn't a health problem.
  • crazyycatlady1
    crazyycatlady1 Posts: 292 Member
    edited April 2017
    Being fat is unhealthy. Being anorexic thin is unhealthy. But you can aso be normal weight and be unhealthy.

Biggest Loser trainer Bob Harper has one of the fittest bodies anywhere and yet he got a heart attack in February and had to quit eating his paleo diet which caused his high cholesterol. He said he's switched to a Mediterranean diet which is lower in red meat and saturated fats.

So, diet is crucial in determining your health as verified by blood tests. But there's nothing good about being fat, even if your labs are good. Personally, it's not a question of either/or. I choose to have a great body that's in great health.

I find it interesting that there's been no discussion about this on the boards (that I've seen at least), especially with the large group of paleo/low carb/keto followers here.

Did he have high cholesterol before the heart attack? I don't really follow Bob Harper or BL, so don't know. I also wonder if it increased. I know some people's do with those diets, and some don't.

My understanding is that whether sat fat affects your cholesterol (a somewhat separate issue from whether it is a health risk if consumed in excess, as it could well be even if it does not) is genetically determined and only true for a minority of people. It's true for my father (he controlled his cholesterol by reducing sat fat), but doesn't seem true for me -- my cholesterol numbers have always been good and improved from the already good numbers when I lost weight even though I increased meat and therefore sat fat somewhat when doing so. But then my sat fat never was terribly high and I eat lots of fiber, vegetables, fish (probably a good omega 3-6 ratio), all of which tend to be helpful.

It's also quite possible to follow a paleo diet without sat fat being high, depending on what your protein/fat sources are, and probably the same with keto, although I haven't done it (and I think paleo is unscientific and cuts out healthy whole foods, so not promoting it one bit).

From what I've read-he's actually a former vegan who made the switch to a more paleo type diet (and was promoting it as the 'healthy' way to eat/lose weight). He's now on a Mediterranean plan post-heart attack. He has a family history of heart problems, so I wonder if going the paleo route exasperated that?

eta: it looks like his mom had a heart attack at age 70, and Bob is 51 years old, so while it's in the family, he had his heart attack quite a bit sooner than his mom.
  • bizgirl26
    bizgirl26 Posts: 1,808 Member
    bizgirl26 wrote: »
    Health first ... I know a lot of thin people that have health problems ( high blood pressure, high cholesterol etc.. ) .Even my dad died at age 51 and he was thin . Of course I want to look good but what does that all mean without your health ?

This is like saying smoking isn't a problem because there are non-smokers who get lung cancer.

While it is true that there are thin people who get high blood pressure, high cholesterol, heart disease and who die young, that does not in any way indicate that being overweight or obese isn't a health problem.

That isn't what I meant . I know being obese or overweight is a huge health problem , I just meant that being skinny doesn't guarantee that you don't have any problems.
  • Traveler120
    Traveler120 Posts: 712 Member
    edited April 2017
    Being fat is unhealthy. Being anorexic thin is unhealthy. But you can aso be normal weight and be unhealthy.

Biggest Loser trainer Bob Harper has one of the fittest bodies anywhere and yet he got a heart attack in February and had to quit eating his paleo diet which caused his high cholesterol. He said he's switched to a Mediterranean diet which is lower in red meat and saturated fats.

So, diet is crucial in determining your health as verified by blood tests. But there's nothing good about being fat, even if your labs are good. Personally, it's not a question of either/or. I choose to have a great body that's in great health.

I find it interesting that there's been no discussion about this on the boards (that I've seen at least), especially with the large group of paleo/low carb/keto followers here.

Did he have high cholesterol before the heart attack? I don't really follow Bob Harper or BL, so don't know. I also wonder if it increased. I know some people's do with those diets, and some don't.

My understanding is that whether sat fat affects your cholesterol (a somewhat separate issue from whether it is a health risk if consumed in excess, as it could well be even if it does not) is genetically determined and only true for a minority of people. It's true for my father (he controlled his cholesterol by reducing sat fat), but doesn't seem true for me -- my cholesterol numbers have always been good and improved from the already good numbers when I lost weight even though I increased meat and therefore sat fat somewhat when doing so. But then my sat fat never was terribly high and I eat lots of fiber, vegetables, fish (probably a good omega 3-6 ratio), all of which tend to be helpful.

It's also quite possible to follow a paleo diet without sat fat being high, depending on what your protein/fat sources are, and probably the same with keto, although I haven't done it (and I think paleo is unscientific and cuts out healthy whole foods, so not promoting it one bit).

From what I've read-he's actually a former vegan who made the switch to a more paleo type diet (and was promoting it as the 'healthy' way to eat/lose weight). He's now on a Mediterranean plan post-heart attack. He has a family history of heart problems, so I wonder if going the paleo route exasperated that?

eta: it looks like his mom had a heart attack at age 70, and Bob is 51 years old, so while it's in the family, he had his heart attack quite a bit sooner than his mom.

Yeah, and increased risk is usually classified as when a 1st degree male relative gets a heart attack before 55 or 1st degree female relative before 65. So considering his mum had hers later, it appears that his diet played a huge role. You'd think he'd have paid more attention to his cholesterol. And when he did a 1-2 yr vegan stint back in 2010, he said his cholesterol dropped 100 points. He started doing paleo since then and on his post-heart attack interview on Today show, he said his cholesterol was in the high range. And usually that's driven by LDL cholesterol.

That shows he's always had a genetic predisposition to high cholesterol and should have paid attention to his diet. Instead, he went paleo since then, and last year on a Rachel Ray show, he was promoting bulletproof coffee (with butter and coconut oil), as a 'preworkout'. That's pure saturated fat! So yeah, his paleo diet, which is by definition high in saturated fat, high in meat, low in carbs, may very well have done him in. I have a similar tendency and my cholesterol shoots up when my diet is high in saturated fat and meat and went down to normal when I quit paleo and started eating more starches than meats and fatty foods. I'm glad he's on the mend though.

Many on paleo have a tendency to disregard and flat out dismiss the cholesterol & heart disease link (it's common on paleo forums like Mark's Daily Apple, when SOME people report increased LDL after switching to paleo, they're told LDL is irrelevant and doctors and Amer. Heart Assn are clueless!). I hope in the future after Bob fully recovers, he'll educate people about what he's learned about the impact of diet based on his experience.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    It's better to be healthy, but being overweight and especially obese are risk factors that increase your likelihood of developing a health issue, so it's not one or the other.

Just not being overweight isn't the only thing important for health -- I think fitness/exercise/activity is extremely important, as well as some other things (sleep, stress management, not overdoing caffeine -- I don't drink but would add not overdoing alcohol and of course not smoking, smoking), eating a reasonably nutritious diet, cultivating human relationships and various other lifestyle thing, etc.

I think it's funny but human that people can be really obsessive about the importance of some factor due to health, but ignore others. I'm definitely in this category, and also will admit that while I do care about being healthy and think I do overall focus on it, I'm hypocritical (I am bad about both sleep and caffeine) and care about other things (what kind of exercise is fun, how I look) as a motivating factor more directly than health. (Health to me is hard to make a motivator unless you have a scare or have people around you with a scare -- for many of us increasingly common as we get older -- since it is so easy to take for granted or put off worrying about, especially when younger.)

All of this. Though unlike lemurcat, I'm pretty persnickety when it comes to sleep and caffeine management since I have to be to manage my migraines (there's that health issue again). I'm not always the best when it comes to managing stress, though.

I agree with the overall thrust of this post, however. "Health" is about more than just an overweight/normal weight dichotomy.

I'd like to add that "health" is a moving target and the damage done by being overweight doesn't always show up at any given moment. Perfect bloodwork doesn't always tell the whole story. Heart disease can take a while to develop. So can joint damage.
  • STLBADGIRL
    STLBADGIRL Posts: 1,693 Member
    From my observation, people tend to think if you are slim or a healthy physical size than you are healthy inside and if you are obese the assumption is that you are unhealthy.
  • MichelleWithMoxie
    MichelleWithMoxie Posts: 1,819 Member
    I think they're equally important. Mental and physical health go hand in hand for me.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    all health here. I have my annual physical next Friday and the only numbers I'm excited for are: blood pressure, blood sugar, cholesterol and other blood levels. If the focus is health, the weight will follow suit (or so in my experience).

This is not true for me.

First of all, even when I was fat my tests (including the things you mention) were fine. So focusing on those things would not have been useful. My weight itself was the risk factor.

This is what I meant about smoking and alcoholism. Not having an actual diagnosable problem yet doesn't make the situation a healthy one.
    Second, I ate a pretty healthy diet (but for calories) when gaining weight, and yet I got fat, so the weight did not follow suit.

Thus, IMO, it's reasonable to be specifically concerned with weight when trying to focus on health. Not only concerned with weight, but concerned with it, yes.

I think a healthy diet also means the right calorie intake to maintain a healthy weight, not just what types of foods. The nutritional value of the food is definitely a part of having a healthy diet. I just think that maintaining a proper level of calorie intake is an inseparable part of having a healthy diet.

Yes, I agree with that. But in this conversation people seemed to be separating "nutrient-dense diet" or whatever from calorie control. I totally think that when considering whether a diet is healthful being calorie-appropriate is a key part of it. My diet was too many calories, so wasn't truly healthful even though if I'd described the foods I ate (and what I mostly did not eat) lots of people would likely think it was healthy.

That's why I don't think you can say that "weight will follow suit" or even really separate the two questions.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    It is important to get to a healthy weight for me and be healthy. I don't care what I look like so much as how I feel and function and reducing future health risks.

I was underweight and got sick often. I was uncomfortable, cold and tired often. Not really healthy or happy with my body.

At a healthy weight I felt good. I was productive and energetic. I did not get sick as often. I felt pretty good about my body.

I was obese and rarely got sick however I was in pain most of the time, out of breath, not sleeping well, tired, low energy, overheated. So not officially sick but not good health either. It was hard to feel good about a body that was not healthy. Continuing on that path would have been bad for my future health.
  • heiliskrimsli

This is not true for me.

Yes, I agree with that. But in this conversation people seemed to be separating "nutrient-dense diet" or whatever from calorie control. I totally think that when considering whether a diet is healthful being calorie-appropriate is a key part of it. My diet was too many calories, so wasn't truly healthful even though if I'd described the foods I ate (and what I mostly did not eat) lots of people would likely think it was healthy.

That's why I don't think you can say that "weight will follow suit" or even really separate the two questions.

Weight does follow suit if you consider that the proper amount of calorie intake is a fundamental part of a healthy diet.

That's my point. It's not separate. It's every bit as important as what you eat. If people are separating that, then that's a misconception that should be swiftly corrected. It's why when someone asks me about eating healthy I always talk about getting the proper nutrients in the proper amounts and making sure not to eat an excess of calories.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited April 2017

This is not true for me.

Weight does follow suit if you consider that the proper amount of calorie intake is a fundamental part of a healthy diet.

That's my point. It's not separate. It's every bit as important as what you eat.

Yes, agreed, but pretty sure that's not what The Rambler was saying in the post to which I responded. He was (I think) making the oh so common point on MFP that if you just focus on eating clean or nutrient dense or some such that you won't be fat/will lose. That does not always follow, and focusing on calories/weight loss is not choosing being thin over being healthy, but is an important part of it.

(I think you and I are in agreement here, no?)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,879 Member
    "Skinny" doesn't make me think healthy...when I hear the term skinny, I generally think underweight...which isn't healthy. Skinny also isn't fit.

Generally, when you're doing things to improve your health like eating well and getting in regular exercise, you're going to be both healthy and also look the part. I'm by no means super lean, but I'm healthy and I look like I workout and I look fit.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Unless I win the lottery, I can't do anything about my body image, so I guess I have to go with (physical) health. Although that doesn't matter much either since I got talked to by my doctor for being fat even though my health was "normal" in testing.

I'm assuming mental health isn't part of the health answer. If it is, I stand solidly with it.
  • heiliskrimsli

This is not true for me.

That's my point. It's not separate. It's every bit as important as what you eat.

Yes, agreed, but pretty sure that's not what The Rambler was saying in the post to which I responded. He was (I think) making the oh so common point on MFP that if you just focus on eating clean or nutrient dense or some such that you won't be fat/will lose. That does not always follow, and focusing on calories/weight loss is not choosing being thin over being healthy, but is an important part of it.

(I think you and I are in agreement here, no?)

Yeah. He's missing half of the factors in the equation, therefore the results will not be as expected.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,257 Member
    edited April 2017
    I don't see how you can separate the two as these are linked. People can over obsess over body image to the point where this becomes unhealthy.

It's a matter of mitigating risk factors. Obesity increases risk as does eating too much of any specific food. Certain elements carry more risk than others.

Aristotle put it best with the Golden Mean, but there are several variations on this theme.

Personally I focus on performance and this drives body image and creates a positive feedback loop.
  • HazyEyes93
    HazyEyes93 Posts: 89 Member
    You know what? I'm going to be completely honest here. I am 100% doing this for looks at this point in time. I have other reasons, but my driving force every day is feeling sick when I look in the mirror.