Do Really Need Breakfast?

Replies

• Theo166
    Theo166 Posts: 2,564 Member
    ferd_ttp5 wrote: »
    Do I really need breakfast early in the morning even i'm not hungry like in my other meals at lunch and dinner. I'm stay at home this summer and I'm trying to experiment on meal and snack times.

I suggest you read up on intermittent fasting.
    The 8/16 version may work very well for you and any resource on it will elaborate how breakfast is not required.
  • janjunie
    janjunie Posts: 1,200 Member
    My breakfast consists of a cup of coffee. I don't eat anything solid until lunch time and my body seems pretty happy with this.
  • MichelleWithMoxie
    MichelleWithMoxie Posts: 1,819 Member
    Nope! I typically don't eat my first meal until about 11am, and am up at 4 or 5am M-Fri. It makes it much easier to adhere to my calorie goals.
  • amandaeve
    amandaeve Posts: 723 Member
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    ljlt6mhchbu3.jpg

Note that by "Advanced" in the middle section, he's speaking of bodybuilders who are at/near their genetic potential and/or highly competitive elite athletes. Basically, if you have to ask if you're "advanced", you're not.

And by "extreme fat loss" in the left section, he's speaking of people who are already very lean and trying to reach extremely lean bodyfat levels (like competitive bodybuilders in pre-contest prep). Having an average (or below) physique and trying to fit into your summer bathing suit or wedding dress isn't an "extreme fat loss" goal.

I've been playing with this for myself. I am nowhere near "advanced". In the last 2 years I've gone from 25% fat to 35% fat despite spending one year of that lifting specifically to gain muscle mass. My trainers argued that my not eating breakfast was the culprit for loosing any muscle mass gained. My whole life I ate a decent sized breakfast first thing, so maybe that makes a difference. Due to my schedule, these past 2 years I've been eating breakfast about 3.5 hours after waking with 2 of those hours being exercise. Currently, I'm eating breakfast first thing again. I definitely feel less hunger throughout, but only time will tell if there are other benefits.
  • livesinpjs
    livesinpjs Posts: 27 Member
    I drink a Slimfast shake for breakfast. I am not ready to eat after my coffee and this is the best way to start my day with protein and all the other nutrients until I want food.
  • moonstroller
    moonstroller Posts: 210 Member
    See what works best for you. Eat breakfast for a few weeks, and then go without breakfast for a few weeks. You'll discover what your body prefers.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    I rarely eat until afternoon. If I get hungry I do, but it's rare.
  • Sp1tfire
    Sp1tfire Posts: 1,120 Member
    Nope you don't need it. I usually eat breakfast, but some mornings I'm just not feeling it. Listen to your hunger cues.
  • Silkysausage
    Silkysausage Posts: 502 Member
    I wouldn't hit my macro's if I didn't! My breakfast consists of either 2 warm protein & fruit muffins with low fat natural yoghurt & chocolate whey or hot porridge/almond butter/sliced peaches & chocolate whey....coming out at a whopping 41g protein. This fills me up till 1pm when I get me some meat & carbs.
  • PrincessMel72
    PrincessMel72 Posts: 1,094 Member
    If I'm hungry after my morning coffee, I reach for a high protein greek yogurt to keep me satisfied on 100 calories till lunch. I'm on 1200 calories so I have to be careful anyway and I'd rather save calories until later meals
  • midlomel1971
    midlomel1971 Posts: 1,283 Member
    It just depends on the person. I am ravenous the second I wake up. I have to eat or I feel sick. And I wake up early 5:30 (or earlier if I'm hitting the gym) I know other people who are very fit who don't eat a thing before lunch.
  • ESinc1118
    ESinc1118 Posts: 19 Member
    I don't think so..for me, if I eat any sort of breakfast other than coffee, I'm a) uncomfortably bloated and stuffed, no matter what/how much I eat and b) significantly hungrier the rest of the day, as well as sluggish. If I don't eat breakfast I can go until 11 or even as late as 2, depending on the day, without needing anything, and sometimes just a small snack. It feels like if I start my day eating, then my day is all about eating, as opposed to waiting until I actually feel hungry and feel room in my belly, on those days I tend to eat much less.

I read somewhere that the whole notion of needing breakfast actually came from a medical study in the 90's funded by a big breakfast cereal corporation. The study basically just proved that you could lose weight while eating a breakfast, but the group in the study that skipped breakfast actually lost more weight, but that wasn't what the cereal company was looking for, so they just cherry-picked the fact that breakfast didn't seem to prevent weight loss. I'll try to find a link for you.
  • svhare39
    svhare39 Posts: 6 Member
    Not necessarily! If you work out in the morning, it it pretty crucial to get your nutrients within the window of your post work out. However, if you are choosing to not workout in the morning, breakfast isn't as essential. It can help with your overall energy throughout the day but is not "needed".
  • amyk0202
    amyk0202 Posts: 667 Member
    I would say no, it's not "needed", but I just read this article today: cnn.com/2017/05/19/health/weight-loss-circadian-rhythms-drayer/index.html that basically says that people who eat breakfast lose more than those who skip it.
  • CiaIgle
    CiaIgle Posts: 72 Member
    I reduced 26 kilos in the assumption that "breakfast is the most important meal".

It also was the biggest challenge I had, having a strong breakfast with a whole day ahead on deficit.

Now on maintenance I am playing with the meals, and basically now I am skipping bf (one skim milk latte at most) and then some food around 3 hours after wake up. Is working very well, so I have A LOT more calories for the rest of the day.

My personal conclusion: do as you wish, but if I knew this, I would surely had a better journey if I didn't follow that advice.

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    edited May 2017
    I have my first meal when I get hungry... whenever that is. Which is usually by 8am.
  • _piaffe
    _piaffe Posts: 163 Member
    Never thought so. Was more into coffee and something small - yogurt. Then took up intense cardio and had to play around with intake to fuel workouts.

Before a morning spin class -> banana, then big breakfast (500-600 calories).

If I'm training at noon or in the evening, I always make overnight oats. Have noticed a big difference in my performance. Oats alone -> 600 calories. Then post-workout snack.

I am no longer "afraid" of spending calories at breakfast, which was (I think) driving my fasted approach. I was banking for the evening binge. What I've noticed? If I fuel WELL in the morning... no evening binge!
  • mazdauk
    mazdauk Posts: 1,380 Member
    I need breakfast or I get cross and take bites out of small children :D
  • CiaIgle
    CiaIgle Posts: 72 Member
    mazdauk wrote: »
    I need breakfast or I get cross and take bites out of small children :D

As far a you fit your macros, I see no problem :smiley::smiley::smiley: