Decent 5k time

Replies

• lucykemp2712
    lucykemp2712 Posts: 7 Member
    The guys and girls in my running club who are the top runners are easily sub 20s. I think my best time was 25 something and I am an intermediate runner. But I hate 5ks as I have to push hard for the whole time so i don't do many hahahha Go to some local park runs and that should give you an idea. My local park run has a record of 15:14 and that was a guy in the 25-29 category!
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,249 Member
    In your AG you'd have to be going sub-20 to squeak into the top 3rd (keep in mind that many runners are hitting their prime in their late 20s early 30s -you're in a very competitive AG), 22 min would make you a middle-of-the-pack runner which is not a bad place to be.

• richardpkennedy1
    richardpkennedy1 Posts: 1,890 Member
    I broke 23 minutes today. Next stop 22:30
  • Ann262
    Ann262 Posts: 265 Member
    You have had some great responses here. I would get out there and run some 5Ks and you'll see what you need to aim for to get on the podium.
  • LeoT0917
    LeoT0917 Posts: 206 Member
    Hi runners. What's considered a decent 5k time in running circles? I'm a 32 year old guy who runs recreationally but I want to get into it competitively. My current best is 23:18 but I did run under 22 minutes when I was in my mid 20s and that's where I want to get to.

If you can get to under 20 min it's a good time. The world record for 50 yr masters bracket is 14:52.92 minutes.
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Elite men (some in your age group) are running in the 13-14 minute range. Sub-20 would probably get you a medal in local races, but for "big" races (thinking the BAA 5K that's run the weekend of the Boston Marathon) you would have to be sub-16 to medal.

That being said, the more you run, the faster you'll get (if you avoid injury). Check out training plans on Runner's World or other running sites--do some distance work, do some speed work, do some intervals. Losing 10 pounds can increase your pace by 20 seconds per mile.
  • richardpkennedy1
    Thanks for all the advice. Any thoughts on my ideal racing weight? I'm 5'7"
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member

The weight at which you feel most comfortable; racing, day to day and ability to maintain.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member

You might want to check out this website:

http://www.racingweight.com/

He also has a book called "Racing Weight" which has info on calculating your ideal racing weight and how to achieve it. It's for pretty serious runners who are interested in achieving their ideal racing weight specifically for peak performance. The "ideal" weights as recommended by the book are pretty low, just so you know. For example, as a 5' 0" female, the ideal weight recommended to me by the book is 95 lbs. I look pretty ghastly at that weight.
  • The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,982 Member
    lporter229 wrote: »

He also has a book called "Racing Weight" which has info on calculating your ideal racing weight and how to achieve it. It's for pretty serious runners who are interested in achieving their ideal racing weight specifically for peak performance. The "ideal" weights as recommended by the book are pretty low, just so you know. For example, as a 5' 0" female, the ideal weight recommended to me by the book is 95 lbs. I look pretty ghastly at that weight.

I am currently maintaining around my racing weight (5'10", 150 lbs). It should be noted that the advice on there is targeted towards maximizing RUNNING performance though, not aesthetics or balancing against other fitness goals. At my running racing weight, I'm faster, but that compromised my lifting performance and upper body strength.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Thank you @The_Enginerd. That was the point I was trying to get across, but you made it more clear!
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member

I'm pleasantly surprised that my racing weight is only 13 lbs less than where I am now (and is a weight that is totally achievable for me, fairly aesthetically pleasing (I actually think I still look a little fat at that weight) and is the weight where I was maintaining prior to tearing my ACL)--I wonder if this is because I'm old (47)? I didn't read the science behind it (only played with the estimator) but found it interesting that it doesn't use height in the algorithm at all...
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member

I am currently maintaining around my racing weight (5'10", 150 lbs). It should be noted that the advice on there is targeted towards maximizing RUNNING performance though, not aesthetics or balancing against other fitness goals. At my running racing weight, I'm faster, but that compromised my lifting performance and upper body strength.

As I recall he does talk about reaching weight being a goal race thing, so cutting to reach out in time for the goal race, recognising that is a bit low for normal life. Clearly there are some exceptions.

Even for short races not every race is the A race.
  • richardpkennedy1

It's pegging my ideal racing weight at 131 lbs. I haven't been that light since I was 20 years old! Currently at 141 with a bit of fat on my mid section.
  • DresdenSinn
    DresdenSinn Posts: 665 Member
    My best time last year was 00:24:04. I run the same event again Labor Day weekend. I'm 5'5" 147lbs 8%BF right now, I have a good balance of strength, power, speed and endurance ; )
  • richardpkennedy1
    My best time last year was 00:24:04. I run the same event again Labor Day weekend. I'm 5'5" 147lbs 8%BF right now, I have a good balance of strength, power, speed and endurance ; )

Was that over 5k?
  • DresdenSinn
    edited June 2017

Was that over 5k?

Yes that was a 5k (3.1mi)
  • richardpkennedy1

Was that over 5k?

Pretty good considering you have a lot muscle mass. How much can you bench press?
  • DresdenSinn

Was that over 5k?

Pretty good considering you have a lot muscle mass. How much can you bench press?

I don't try to put up more than 205lbs anymore on the bench press, my right shoulder is pretty wrecked from repetitive motion injury from years on my job. I still have a mean squat/deadlift of 375lbs though.

• bluedevil_61
    bluedevil_61 Posts: 6 Member
    In your AG you'd have to be going sub-20 to squeak into the top 3rd (keep in mind that many runners are hitting their prime in their late 20s early 30s -you're in a very competitive AG), 22 min would make you a middle-of-the-pack runner which is not a bad place to be.
    ^^ I agree.
    My best 5k was 18:50 when I was in my 30's. I placed 2nd in my AG. This was not a really large race though around 300 racers total.