I want to get thinner AND keep my glycogen reserves

Is it possible to restrict my calorie intake below my maintenance requirements in order to lose weight, and to simultaneously keep my blood sugar stable through maintaining a glycogen reserve? I have Hashimotos .

Replies

• lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    It seems like that would best be addressed by your doctor.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Just eat less calories than you burn and don't reduce carbs
  • Rusty740
    Rusty740 Posts: 749 Member
    I think you might be interested in this study https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5028075/ that had the following nutritional requirements.

carbohydrates 12%–15%, proteins 50%–60%, and lipids 25%–30%. These patients were instructed to eat large leafy and other types of vegetables and only lean parts of red and white meat, avoiding goitrogenic food. The following items were also excluded from the diet: eggs, legumes, dairy products, bread, pasta, fruits, and rice.

as compared to a low-calorie, non-restricted diet. Although it would have been nice if it lasted longer than 3 weeks and if they'd used DEXA instead of impedance for body fat, but maybe there's some hope here.

Here's the conclusion.
    A dietary plan based on the reduction of carbohydrate content and free of goitrogenic foods leads not only to a decrease in body weight, but also determines a decrease in fat mass and a significant drop of sentinel autoantibodies in Hashimoto’s thyroiditis. So, future studies could shed new light on the probable synergism between ChREBP-LXR, environmental contaminants, regulation of lipogenesis, and autoantibody production. Do not underestimate the value of the levels of anti-microsomal Abs, still not considered relevant in screening for autoimmune thyroiditis, the dietary regime described in this study could be implemented for the treatment of patients with autoimmune thyroid because of the possibility to reduce the inflammation state in general and of the thyroid gland in particular, and consequently of the levels of autoantibodies, information this surely important in the assessment of these patients and for the prediction of the course of the disease.

• miteyme
    miteyme Posts: 21 Member
    Rusty740: That looks interesting. It looks like a low calorie, high protein and low carb diet is worth a try. It said that cooked goitrogenic leaves like kale, stopped being goitrogenic too. I am sorry lettuce is a goitrogen, I did not know that. And whats with eggs?
  • miteyme
    miteyme Posts: 21 Member
    I just tried changing the protein values in my plan to 55%, with a concurrent decrease in carbs. I don't dare try that diet - I might never go the toilet again!
    It resembles an Atkins diet in many ways.

Anyone else out there in the ether willing to give it a go?
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Your body can make all the glycogen and glucose you need. You could restrict carbs to almost zero and still have full glycogen reserves.

I have eaten low carb for a few years. At the moment I am doing an almozt zero carb challenge and my energy us steadier than ever. I have found that when I rely on fats for fuel rather than carbs, my energy does not go up and down with meals. I prefer it.
    (And I too have hahi's).
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    I had to use up my glycogen reserves over ten days to prepare for surgery. I did it by being on a medically supervised VLCD liquid diet.

I imagine preserving your reserves would mean doing the opposite.

When I was T2 diabetic my highest sugar numbers were first thing in the morning. My liver was responding to a fasted state. So I'd say frequent small meals including fat and protein should help. A midnight snack say, of cheese and crackers should help too.