2»

Replies

• sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    This is awesome. Thanks for sharing!
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited May 2017
    I don't understand the part about the thermic effect of digesting protein. If that's the case why wouldn't the low carb group lose more than the non low carb group under controlled circumstances... same cals etc? Like I understand they were all capped at 100g protein but if one were to consume MORE protein in relation to the same cals wouldn't they have a deeper deficit over time?

AnvilHead's answer is right on, but to make it more simple still, low carbers don't eat more protein than non low carbers who are focused on getting adequate protein (and maybe not even then). On low carb I eat my .8 g/lb of protein or LBM (close to the same thing), and that's what I eat when not low carbing.

Someone who does a strict form of keto might even eat less protein than a lot of non low carbers who are as focused on protein as seems to be common around here (keto's default recommendation is 20% protein, which is lower than the MFP default).

However, one reason some low carb v. low fat studies get messed up is that the "low carb" group has more protein when you look at the breakdowns.
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    Thanks guys! That makes more sense
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Excellent vid @AnvilHead :). I'm always so relieved somehow to find out I do know what I'm spouting on about and that I'm not just spouting nonsense or flat out misinterpreting things!!
  • __TMac__
    __TMac__ Posts: 1,665 Member
    Really good. Thanks for sharing that link. Confirms that it's all pretty simple; many of the things people get worked up about are just minutia.
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    From the comments here I am looking forward to having a spare 50 minutes to watch this. Thanks for the link.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,373 MFP Moderator
    edited May 2017
    This is more reason why I feel Dr. Schoenfeld is one of the best in the community. Great video.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Fantastic! Thank you for sharing.
  • Bob314159
    Bob314159 Posts: 1,178 Member
    Very nice - - watching now
  • ammo7
    ammo7 Posts: 188 Member
    I have been okay with the fact that my TDEE will be lower as I continue to lose some more weight - that makes sense to me purely because I will be less heavy, so my body is doing less work to move me around, and because of increased exercise efficiency. However, I was worried about what he was saying in regards to the "greater than predicted decrease in resting energy expenditure of 250 to 300 calories per day." That really does seem like a lot - I would appreciate if someone could link me to more information about this.

I am also confused about the point he was making with the Oprah Effect. It seemed to me that he was including it as anecdotal evidence that being in a deficit can have a huge negative impact on metabolism.
    But he did not address that those 10 pounds she gained would have comprised of increased water retention as she returned to solid foods; or the fact that a previously-obese woman who deprived herself of food for so long said she "returned to real food" which could easily have meant that she returned to her old habits that led to that obesity (plus maybe even a massive increase in food to satisfy cravings after so long!) which would have had a big impact on the scale.
  • Okiludy
    Okiludy Posts: 558 Member
    Great video, thank you for posting.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    ammo7 wrote: »
    I have been okay with the fact that my TDEE will be lower as I continue to lose some more weight - that makes sense to me purely because I will be less heavy, so my body is doing less work to move me around, and because of increased exercise efficiency. However, I was worried about what he was saying in regards to the "greater than predicted decrease in resting energy expenditure of 250 to 300 calories per day." That really does seem like a lot - I would appreciate if someone could link me to more information about this.

I am also confused about the point he was making with the Oprah Effect. It seemed to me that he was including it as anecdotal evidence that being in a deficit can have a huge negative impact on metabolism.
    But he did not address that those 10 pounds she gained would have comprised of increased water retention as she returned to solid foods; or the fact that a previously-obese woman who deprived herself of food for so long said she "returned to real food" which could easily have meant that she returned to her old habits that led to that obesity (plus maybe even a massive increase in food to satisfy cravings after so long!) which would have had a big impact on the scale.

Have a search for adaptive thermogensis to answer your first question.
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    I watched it all last night... nothing I didn't already know but it's such a great compilation. If ANYONE took 50 minutes to invest in that video they would be very well served and it would save them months, maybe years, of trial and error... or worse; giving up. Thanks again!
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,971 Member
    edited May 2017
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    More in depth discussion of TEF here from another source (Lyle McDonald): http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/metabolic-rate-overview.html

A very good explanation in this article of what accounts for "metabolism" (including, RMR, TEF, TEA and adaptive effects).

Makes it clear why no single approach to diet/exercise to achieve weight loss will work for everyone.

Thanks for the link.