WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR AUGUST 2017

Replies

• Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Heather: Every state in the US has its own school calendar. My DGD will be going back soon in Illinois, but in Oregon school doesn't resume until after Labor Day in early September. :flowerforyou: Enjoy your cruise! :bigsmile:

Lanette: I'll join you in praying that everyone's AC works and no fires break out. I'm hoping for a reasonable breeze to help us stay a little cooler, but not a blow-drier breeze. :noway:

Joyce: My husband has no love for horses. :noway: His family had them when he was in grade school and he was kicked, bitten, and stomped as a child. He's always thought he developed diabetes because of injuries from being stomped. :broken_heart: He was also exposed to polio at the local swimming pool when he was young. That is his other theory for his many autoimmune problems. No one else in his family has them. He's had a heavy burden healthwise. :sad:

Allie: It sounds like things are finally moving ahead. Good luck with getting everything you need from all of this. (((HUGS))) Prayers for Aunt Margaret in Heaven and the family that is still here. :broken_heart::heart:

Happy August, everyone! I've been working on a bump in my weight, and it is still there. I'll keep at it and will back where I want to be eventually. We are facing extreme heat for the next few days. I've already closed the blinds on our East facing windows. They're honeycomb blinds and have some ability to mitigate temperature.

I took the dog to the Vet yesterday because he has been losing weight and looking ratty. He has been sleeping in the garage since the fireworks on the fourth of July and it has put him into a depression. He has a course of medication to take for the next couple of weeks and I moved his dog bed next to my side of our bed. Poor little guy. This all started because he kept us awake into the wee hours of the morning crying when people were setting off fire crackers at the Fourth of July. This year they kept it up for most of a week. We had to get sleep to stay healthy, so we moved him into the garage. Next year we'll leave town or board him at the vet. :ohwell:

Katla in beautiful NW Oregon

Nothing is impossible, the word itself says 'I'm possible'!" -Audrey Hepburn

• Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Happy August 1st! :)
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,433 Member
    yo peeps -

sorry for your loss grandmallie
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Pip

If you would like to send your MS Ride kerchief in my direction I would love to sign it for my sister. She has MS and was recently informed she can no longer live on her own. Things are in the works to have her move from Columbus, Ohio over to Fishers, Indiana where my parents, single sister and married brother live. My parents have secured her an apt. As soon as they get the medical coverage and new doctors set up they will get her over there and set-up home health care for part of her day. She does not want to move and has resisted it for several years. Unfortunately neither her ex husband nor her two adult children will do anything towards her care. Sad situation but being nearer family will give her a better life in the long run. So message me for my address! Thanks for all you do for MS.

Cheri
    in steamy College Station, Tx
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
  • ryenday
    ryenday Posts: 1,540 Member
    @cityjaneLondon what is stewed fruit? Sounds intriguing.

@Machka9 great outfit and I Love, Love, Love the hat!

@DanaReel180 please say hi to Dolly!

@lhannon062709 - hi, I'm a Texan here too. You are very strong and courageous and I'm pulling for the success of the new combo. Are you a bitter supertaster? I just found out that I am and finally I understand that these veggies that I think taste frankly poisonous just taste differently in my mouth. That was such a relief - to know I'm not just hard to please and picky - but these bitter veggies really don't taste the same to me as many people. I would read the phrase "pleasantly bitter"" and wonder who was out of her mind, me or the writer who honestly seemed to find something pleasant about bitter.
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,124 Member
    edited August 2017
    ryenday - My DH cooks some kind of fruit a few times a week, which we have almost every night for dessert. We have it with a bit of homemade yoghurt. It could be apricots, pears, apples and blackcurrants, or plums. He uses a fruit juice, a sprinkle of Stevia and sometimes a tiny bit of sugar for the very sour fruits like gooseberries or rhubarb. We love it and it makes me feel I am having dessert. I dock myself 130 calories for it. With the pears I often have calorie free caramel sauce. :D Makes it yummy.

PS - do you have an easier name?

Love Heather UK xxxxxxx
  • ryenday
    ryenday Posts: 1,540 Member
    edited August 2017
    Heather, I don't really know what it would be called, but I'd love to try some - I have never "cooked" fruit except apples for pie, roasting pineapple on the grill and making lemon or lime curd.
    I cook most all our dinners, but only simple stuff, roasts, grilled or roasted veggies etc. lol my meal plans are generally meat and potato (veggie actually rarely potatoes nowadays) with occasionally fruit or nuts for deserts. Otherwise I just have leftovers or make a smoothie.

Rye in TX

• cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,124 Member
    edited August 2017
    Oops! Had a drink this evening which was not in the plan.
    DH suddenly realised that I was planning to give the new cleaner a key so she could come in for the twice when we are away. He was not happy with that at all. :o He went into a sulk. I then explained that we have to pay her whether she comes in or not. Shock, horror! We trusted our previous cleaner with the key, but he is not comfortable with the new one, despite excellent references. I said I was perfectly happy with her not coming, but our contract with the cleaning firm says we have to pay her. Plus I think that is only right and proper. He disagreed.
    Hence the drink. :o:(
    Oh well, he will get over it. Personally I am happier with her not coming in, but I do think she should be paid. Perhaps she could come and water the garden. :p

Love Heather UK xxxxxxx