Does anyone track calcium?

If so please message me. DGeigley

Replies

• Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Most foods in the supermarket don't list calcium (or other minerals or vitamins) in the nutritional information, let alone most MFP food database entries (which are mostly entered by users with even less data at hand).

Any tracking of calcium would be way off.
  • IsabeausRose
    IsabeausRose Posts: 129 Member
    I'm adding a calcium supplement to my diet next month and will be adding it to my daily nutrition tracker.
  • Trex5009
    Trex5009 Posts: 171 Member
    I get my calcium goal and exceed it daily
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Orphia wrote: »
    Most foods in the supermarket don't list calcium (or other minerals or vitamins) in the nutritional information, let alone most MFP food database entries (which are mostly entered by users with even less data at hand).

This is my thought on the subject.

I just track it by blood labs that I get annually or biannually but not my oral intake. Some research indicates there is a relationship between calcium, magnesium, Vitamin D3 and Vitamin K2 levels.

nutritionaloutlook.com/jointbone-health/bone-health-cofactors-new-science-vitamin-d-k2-magnesium-and-zinc
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    On the advice of my PCP I take a supplement and I keep in mind how much I'm eating, but I don't track it here.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    I do track calcium and supplement daily. I am in the beginning stages of menopause.. and osteoporosis is prevalent among the women in my family.
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    I do. I drink calcium and Vit D enriched orange juice, eat yogurt and a cheese stick every day. And I do weight bearing exercises.
  • cmtigger
    cmtigger Posts: 1,450 Member

I just track it by blood labs that I get annually or biannually but not my oral intake. Some research indicates there is a relationship between calcium, magnesium, Vitamin D3 and Vitamin K2 levels.

nutritionaloutlook.com/jointbone-health/bone-health-cofactors-new-science-vitamin-d-k2-magnesium-and-zinc

This wouldn't be accurate for some people, like those with parathyroid issues that cause blood calcium problems.

I track my calcium, and if the entry doesn't have the correct information I look for a new one or make my own. In spite of what another poster said- it is on nutrition labels.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    cmtigger wrote: »

This wouldn't be accurate for some people, like those with parathyroid issues that cause blood calcium problems.

I track my calcium, and if the entry doesn't have the correct information I look for a new one or make my own. In spite of what another poster said- it is on nutrition labels.

If counting works for you then doing it makes sense for you.

It is not count of inputs that matters the most to me but the net of what gets absorbed. The scales do my net calorie count and lab results count things like.calcium results.
  • cmtigger

It is not count of inputs that matters the most to me but the net of what gets absorbed. The scales do my net calorie count and lab results count things like.calcium results.

I don't think you understood my post. Calcium levels in blood aren't any indication at all of what you are eating or absorbing if your parathyroids aren't working correctly.
  • cmtigger

Also, are you aware that if you aren't getting enough calcium your body pulls it from your bones to keep the level steady in your blood?

Are you getting dexa scans too?
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    I do as I have early onset osteoporosis

I create my own entries using USDA information.

Wow, that's awesome! It didn't occur to me you could take MFP to that level!

I was way off with saying you can't track it.