Do you think rest is healthier than exercise if you don't sleep very well

I wonder if it's worth waiting until my sleep gets better. Do you think it puts extra stress on an already stressed body or could it help heal. Running and light weights is what I do at the moment

Replies

• helengains
    helengains Posts: 129 Member
    Thank you. I feel it's holding me back
  • lessismoreohio
    lessismoreohio Posts: 910 Member
    I think this is an excellent question.

I was sleep deprived yesterday due to getting back home at 1:00 am Tuesday from a quick trip to/from California. I debated going to the gym last night (light weights is what I do), but decided on an early night. I'm glad I did, and I'll be going to the gym this evening after work.
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    edited September 2017
    IMO Exercising helps me to sleep and better.

But if you are tired by all means sleep first. I can't exercise without adequate rest.
  • helengains
    I'm going on anxiety medication and wonder while my body gets used to them should I hang fire. Not sleeping also makes me wonder if it's worth waiting. I don't particularly want to take these but I've hit a point where I need help. Exercise is something I'd like to keep up as long as I can but wonder if rest is better tonic for my tired burnt out body. Thank you for feedback it's appreciated
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    helengains wrote: »
    I'm going on anxiety medication and wonder while my body gets used to them should I hang fire. Not sleeping also makes me wonder if it's worth waiting. I don't particularly want to take these but I've hit a point where I need help. Exercise is something I'd like to keep up as long as I can but wonder if rest is better tonic for my tired burnt out body. Thank you for feedback it's appreciated

Something gentle like walking or swimming might be good for your mental health as well.
  • helengains
    Thank you. Yes I love walking and do lots most day's. My goal was to do weights but wondering if I should put weights on hold until I get used to these.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    I worked out very sleep deprived when my son was a baby. It was hard.. and I definitely had to be mindful of injuries (I was lifting). But I felt well enough to do it. So it will depend on how you function under lack of sleep.
  • helengains
    Thanks for sharing. I somehow function kind of ok some day's. I'm feeling tired now though. I'll see how things are tomorrow I think and go from there
  • H_Ock12
    H_Ock12 Posts: 1,152 Member
    If you need to rest, then rest...but don't let being tired become an excuse not to workout. In all actuality, there will be days that you may need to do less weight/reps/miles, but it's still worth it to put in the effort and do what you can.
  • helengains
    Thank you. Yes I think some effort is better than zero. Just aware that my body is tired. Everything has caught up
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,400 Member
    What does your doctor say?
  • canarysal
    canarysal Posts: 118 Member
    Exercise can be relaxing and relieve stress/help you to unwind. You have to listen to your body but sometimes exercise may help. I sleep well after evening workout.
  • helengains
    Thank you. My doctor hasn't mentioned anything but today was day I was issued them. I'll mention next week. Your comments have helped thankyou
  • Anamatronic
    Anamatronic Posts: 17 Member
    I have anxiety and suffer from insomnia to the point I would lay awake to 3 or 4 in the morning and have to get up at 7 and it's horrendous trying to cope the next day. At one point I was relying on sleeping tablets which I know is awful and moreover as I was tired I was making poorer meal choices as I was to worn out to cook a decent meal. I have to say I think my increased physical activity has done wonders for my sleeping, I sleep much better on days I've been to the gym. I'm not saying you'll be the same but I have found that exercise really helps sleep as it tires me out so much. I've started to establish a much healthier sleeping pattern and tend to fall asleep for 11/12 most evenings.
  • lauracups
    lauracups Posts: 533 Member
    I've done some of my best hikes on only 2 hours of sleep (not by choice ) then slept great the next night. Listen to your body. Low impact exercise can help with stress, less stress , more sleep.
  • helengains
    Thank you
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,706 Member
    I actually sleep like a log if I've done some decent exercise that day.
  • Daniellemh33
    Daniellemh33 Posts: 13 Member
    Some things to help with insomnia that have worked for me are:
    Melatonin 3 mg before sleep.
    Getting sunlight in the morning or using a light box.
    Limiting food 2 hours and water 1 hour before sleep.
    Avoiding TV, iPhone use an hour before bed.
    Only have caffeine in the morning.
    Download apps to help you sleep. Examples Sleep Cycle, White noise, Relax Melodies, Relax & Sleep Well