Losing weight after 40

I've never had issues losing weight. After kids I came back down to my goal weight - 122 (I'm 5'3"). I've recently gained a few pounds - ok more than a few. I can't believe how difficult it's been this time. I guess my body has changed enough that what I use to do before isn't working any more.

Replies

• jwat90
    jwat90 Posts: 178 Member
    I'm 45 and it's definitely harder to lose this time around. I have finally lost 20 but have about 40 more to go. Feel free to add me. We can encourage each other.
  • ConnieAGinther
    ConnieAGinther Posts: 515 Member
    Feel free to add me as a friend.
  • gmack49767
    gmack49767 Posts: 3 Member
    I'm 43 and looking to lose 50 pounds looking for some friends to help, please feel free to add me gmack49767
  • lo72ri
    lo72ri Posts: 4 Member
    Im 45 looking to lose 30 lbs
  • Rich71bat
    Rich71bat Posts: 195 Member
    I'm 46 and it's definitely harder to lose weight as you get older!! Feel free to add me
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,122 Member
    edited September 2017
    There are plenty of success stories from over 40s, it might sound harsh but @JeromeBarry1 has hit the nail on the head it has nothing to do with age or your body, your TDEE will come down a little with age (the amount of calories your body burns over the course of a day) but you just need to eat a little less than you used to or move a little more and you are still able to lose weight.

Check out this thread, if they can do it, you can http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10047153/55-65-year-old-womens-success#latest
  • I am 53 and losing easily once I removed most of the barriers! Lost 80 lbs and have another 40 or so to go.
  • browntracy72
    browntracy72 Posts: 24 Member
    First congratulations for making it this far. Your journey is tough, I know. I am running this same marathon with you. I am soon to be 45 and I have been struggling to lose weight and inches. My thyroid and my adrenals stopped working 4 years ago due to extreme stress. I have now regained the power over these two organs and have lost at least 6 pounds. Please add me if you want, I could use some encouragement. Have a blessed day.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Don't worry, wait another decade and you will find it much easier like I did.

PS - it's not your age that is the problem.