HATE TEA

2»

Replies

• kcl113
    kcl113 Posts: 4 Member
    An appropriate time and steeping temperature is essential to avoid bitterness. The time and steeping temperature are different depending on the type of tea. White needs a lower time and temp than green which needs a lower time and temp than black. Honestly, if it's possible, the best option would be to try teas at a teahouse so you can have good quality tea by the cup to see if there's any you like. That said, the "health benefits" of tea aren't really great enough that you need to drink it if you don't like it.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    jgnatca wrote: »
    Try the fruity herbal teas like Red Zinger by Celestial Seasonings. Flavour it with an artificial sweetener. Here in Canada we have tea stores that offer samplers like David's Tea.

Especially if you HATE TEA, I suggest getting small samples so you aren't out of pocket.

This^

Get a box of Celestial Seasonings herbal tea sampler or fruit tea sampler. These are all herbal, you can try a bunch. If you don't like them singly.....mix and match these with "plain" black or green tea. Be careful not to steep too long, or use water that's too hot. Green tea (for example) will get bitter when you use too hot water.

Stash, Twinings, and Bigelow also have sampler packs. The trick is finding a grocery store with a large tea selection. In my area that's Woodman's.

I hate plain camomile, but really like Twinings Winter Spice (seasonal). It's camomile, apple, cinnamon, and cardomom.

• Cold brew your tea. Just fill a jug of water and add 1 tea bag (green, black, flavor of your choice) per cup of water and leave it in the refrigerator over night. It can be refrigerated for about a week.

In the morning, you'll have delicious, non-bitter tea.
  • melissaulmen
    melissaulmen Posts: 123 Member
    Not sure if there are any health related benefits (sorry I did not read all of the previous comments) to this tea but I think it is yummy.

Passion Tea Lemonade - Starbucks Brand
    I brew the tea, add fresh lemon juice and some stevia. Let cool in the refrigerator, serve over ice. It does not taste like tea, but if you are looking to increase your water intake and want something not so boring this would work.

I also find that the Yogi Tea's are very flavorful. I always add lemon juice to them.
  • whitpauly
    whitpauly Posts: 1,483 Member
    I honestly don't like tea either, I've tried but no
  • extra_medium
    extra_medium Posts: 1,525 Member
    There's no reason to drink tea if you don't like it. Problem solved
  • Sp1tfire
    Sp1tfire Posts: 1,120 Member
    I found that I enjoy it WAY more cold.
  • melissaulmen
    melissaulmen Posts: 123 Member
    So I just re-read my previous post, and wanted to add something about the lemon juice.
    I rarely have fresh lemon juice.
    I get frozen lemon juice, it is by the frozen orange or apple juice. It comes in a bottle. Closest I have found to fresh squeezed. It also works great to add some flare to H2O.
    I also use True Lemon packets.
  • canarysal
    canarysal Posts: 118 Member
    So why drink it then? It isn't a magic potion and drinking tea or not drinking tea really won't make a difference.
  • rlr5072
    rlr5072 Posts: 22 Member
    I wouldn't force it if you don't like it, but I understand, as I usually don't like tea myself, but enjoy it in the winter/when I have a sore throat. It took me awhile to find the right fit for me - herbal blends seem more enjoyable to me than black or green ones. I've found TAZO passion and wild orange to be the only brand/flavor I really enjoy. I take mine with agave nectar to give it a little bit of sweetness without the grittiness of sugar - it seems more smooth that way.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    1. Don't drink it if you don't like it. It's not made of magic.
    2. Try fruit teas.
    3. Try drinking it super weak.

I tried tea for a long time before I found one that I actually like. There's a lot of different fruit teas, and my particular favorite is a blackberry tea with cinnamon. And I still drink it ultra weak.
  • Speziface
    Speziface Posts: 1,687 Member
    I drink a lot of water, but also enjoy a nice cup of tea, and like to try different varieties. Good Earth makes a sweet and spicy blend that's pretty good; it's got a touch of natural sweetness to it as well.

Hit up the tea aisle, buy a box of something that looks interesting, and give it a chance. Worst case is you don't like it and can leave it in kitchen at work.
  • cassyk55
    cassyk55 Posts: 1 Member
    I steep organic green tea daily. Organic is less bitter. You can add a tiny bit of natural honey. I did not add anything but water. Many health benefits to it. I drink 2 to 4 daily.
  • BodyByButter
    BodyByButter Posts: 563 Member
    edited September 2017
    Oh boy, there's a lot going on in this thread. Please allow me to clear up a few things.

"Teas" can be made out of anything. You can make a "tea" out of old shoelaces steeped in water.

If you are looking for health benefits of actual tea (i.e. camellia sinensis) - the type of tea you think of as black tea, green tea, oolong tea et al. you will NOT find those benefits in Celestial Seasonings. Those are all herbal "teas" - which are fine, but they do not contain any actual tea (camellia sinensis). There are other plants that provide a caffeine kick similar to what you get from camellia sinensis leaves: guayusa, yerba mate, yaupon (all varieties of holly).

Herbal drinks are fine if you like the herbs and what they do for you, that's another conversation. However here I am talking about actual tea, from tea plants. Hereafter "tea" is going to be that tea, ok?

If you find tea bitter:
    - Do not oversteep it. If you want a stronger tea, use more leaf. Don't steep it longer. This only causes bitterness.
    - Try whole leaf tea instead of tea bag tea. Tea bags are filled with "fannings" - the leftovers after the higher quality, whole or partially broken leaves are taken out. Breaking the leaves increases surface area and increases the odds it will be bitter.
    - Steep your tea at the right temp and for the right amount of time. Green tea is not supposed to be steeped at the same temperature as black, for example. Read the package.
    - An old southern trick when making iced tea is to add baking soda. I haven't done side by side comparisons if this changes bitterness or not but "they" say it helps.
    - Sweeten it and/or add milk. Heavy cream will curdle in very hot tea. Milk or half and half is a better choice.
    - Or, just keep trying it plain and develop a taste for it.

Sorry for the diatribe! I have a certification in tea (it's actually a thing, believe it or not).

• Falcon
    Falcon Posts: 853 Member
    I did not used to like tea either, but discovered I don't like putting milk in it. once i figured out how i like to drink tea, its easier to drink it. if the water comes to a complete boil. let the water sit for five minutes other wise it burns the leaves making it taste bitter.