Motivational Playlist Ideas

Looking to make an ultimate motivational playlist - what is that song that gets your blood and adrenaline flowing like you are in the lead and you only have ten feet to go? What is your 'eye of the tiger'?

Replies

• AshEvelynn
    AshEvelynn Posts: 205 Member
    Run Boy Run by Woodkid for me
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    Eye of the Tiger.
  • AshEvelynn
    Well played DX2JX2.....well played.
  • bebeisfit
    bebeisfit Posts: 951 Member
    Extraordinary by Liz Phair
  • AshEvelynn
    bebeisfit wrote: »
    Extraordinary by Liz Phair

Great addition!
  • JR188
    JR188 Posts: 14 Member
    Alive by POD
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,122 Member
    I like Highway to Hell by ACDC when I am running.
  • Phenomenal and Till I collapse by Eminem
  • jondspen
    jondspen Posts: 253 Member
    Depends on if I'm doing strength training or cardio/running. I try to keep my songs around 160 bpm for my runs, so lots of my "pump up" songs are too slow for my training cadence. Of course, Marine Corps running cadence songs still get me going...esp the ones from "Full Metal Jacket".

"I don't know but I've been told, Eskimo p***y is mighty cold"
  • muedra52
    muedra52 Posts: 11 Member
    Matthew Wilder, Break My Stride
    Billy Idol, Can't Break Me Down
    Macklemore & Ryan Lewis, Can't Hold Us
    Billy Idol, Dancing with Myself
    Katy Perry, Dark Horse
    Cake, The Distance
    Queen, Don't Stop Me Know
    Lady Gaga, The Edge of Glory
    George Michael, Faith
    Christina Aguliera, Fighter
    Nicki Minaj & Rihanna, Fly
    Kenny Loggins, Footloose
    Alicia Keys, Girl On Fire
    Pitbull, give Me Everything
    The All American Rejects, Gives You Hell
    Bill Conti, Gonna Fly Now
    Sia, The Greatest
    The Script, Hall of Fame
    Matchbox Twenty, How Far We've Come
    Joan Jett, I Love Rock N Roll
    A Flock of Seagulls, I Ran (So Far Away)
    The Pointer Sisters, I'm So Excited
    Elton John, I'm Still Standing
    Kelly Clarkson, Invincible
    REM, It's the End of the World As We Know It
    Kanye West, Jesus Walks
    Van Halen, Jump
    No Doubt, Just a Girl
    Pink, Just LIke Fire
    David Bowie, Let's Dance
    Calvin Harris, Let's Go
    Prince, Let's Go Crazy
    Bon Jovi, Livin On a Prayer
    Michael Sembello, Maniac
    Meghan Trainor, Me Too
    Eminen, Not Afraid
    Starship, Nothing's Gonna Stop Us Now
    Duncan Sheik, On a High
    Imagine Dragons, On Top of the World
    MIA, Paper Planes
    Katy Perry, Part of Me
    LMFAO, Party Rock Anthem
    Huey Lewis, Power of Love
    U2, Pride
    Pitbull, rain Over Me
    Pink, Raise Your Glass
    Fort Minor, Remember the Name
    Fatboy Slim, Right Here, Right Now
    Van Halen, Right Now
    Katy Perry, Roar
    Beyonce, Run the World (Girls)
    Jay Z, Run This Down
    Tom Petty, Running Down a Dream
    Taylor Swift, Shake It Off
    Walk the Moon, Shut Up and Dance
    Pink, So What
    The Rolling Stones, Start Me Up
    LEN, Steal My Sunshine
    Britney Spears, Stronger
    Kelly Clarkson, Stronger
    The Postal Service, Such Great Heights
    Bryan Adams, Summer of 69
    Rick James, Super Freak
    Eminem, Survival
    Destiny's Child, Survivor
    a-ha, Take On Me
    Calvin Harris, This is What You Came For
    Maroon 6, This Summer's Gonna Hurt Like
    Kesha, Tik Tok
    Eminen, Till I Collapse
    Mc Hammer, Too Legit to Quit
    Kanye West, Touch the Sky
    Pink, Try
    Arena rock All Stars, Tubthumpin (I Get Knocked Down)
    DJ Snake, Turn Down For What
    Chris Brown, Turn Up the Music
    Jason Derfulo, Undefeated
    Queen, Under Pressure
    Wham, Wake Me Up Before You Go Go
    Empire of the Sun, Walking on a Dream
    Katrina & The Waves, Walking on Sunshine
    Fun, We are Young
    Starship, We Build This City
    Billy Joel, We Didn't Start the Fire
    Queen, We Will Rock You
    Twisted Sister, We're Not Gonna Take It
    Katy Tiz, Whistle (While You Work It)
    New Radicals, You Get What You Give
  • muedra52
    muedra52 Posts: 11 Member
    Smash Mouth, All Star
    The Who, Bab O’Riley
    Joan Jett, Bad reputation
    American Authors, Best Day of My Life
    Bruce Springsteen, Born in the USA
    Bruce Springsteen, Born to Run
    Ben Rector, Brand New
    Sara Bareilles, Brave
    Red Hot Chili Peppers, Can’t Stop
    Kely Clarkson, Catch My Breath
    Kool & The Gang, Celebration
    Sia, Chandelier
    Dexy’s Midnight Runners, Come ON Eileen
    Beyonce, Crazy in Love
    Journey, Don’t Stop Believing
    Chris Brown, Dreamer
    Taio Cruz, Dynamite
    U2, Elevation
    Icona Pop, Emergency
    Janet, Jackson, Escapade
    Rachel Platten, Fight Song (Workout Mix)
    Katy Perry, Firework
    Sheppard, Geronimo
    Cyndi Lauper, Girls Just Wanna Have Fun
    Fitz & The Tantrums, Hand Clap
    Pet Benatar, Hit Me With Your Best Shot
    Daft Punk, One More Time
    Madonna, Open Your Heart
    Miley Cyrus, Party in the USA
    Janet Jackson, Rhythm Nation
    Katy Perry, Rise
    Real McCoy, Run Away
    Oakenfold, Starry Eyed Surprise
    Stronger, Kanye West
    Natasha Bedingfield, Unwritten
    Madonna, Vogue
    Prince, When Doves Cry
    Flo Rida, Wild Ones
    Prince, 1999
  • SoulOfALion5
    SoulOfALion5 Posts: 115 Member
    For walking or running (walking which I'm currently doing due to my weight but hope to build up to my running days that I used to do way back in my late teens and early twenties), I used no music, just the sound of nature got me thru. But when I weight trained, it took music. !!!
  • STEVE142142
    STEVE142142 Posts: 867 Member
    My favorite workout album is Bat Out of Hell by Meatloaf. If you were to look at my iPod it's the most played album and bat out of hell is the most-played song.

After that whatever you're into and whatever gets you moving as crazy as it sounds I listen to The Beach Boys and the Eagles.
  • nw623
    nw623 Posts: 38 Member
    I'm kind of late to the game. But for me, it really depends on what I am doing. For HITT workouts my playlist includes "Come with me Now" Kongos, "Rock Party Anthem" LFMAO, and "All Around the World" ATC.

For my other at home workouts I love "Highway to Hell" AC/DC, "Pump It" Black Eyed Peas, "Fortunate Son" CCR.

Whatever you choose, go for songs you like. It makes it fun that way and will make your workout way more enjoyable.
  • Amanda_B_0213
    Amanda_B_0213 Posts: 7 Member
    I go to Hip Hop when I want to get motivated. It was a good day by Ice Cube. Gets me in rhythm! :p
  • AshEvelynn
    I have got to check these out! Woo hoo!
  • DX2JX2
    jondspen wrote: »
    Depends on if I'm doing strength training or cardio/running. I try to keep my songs around 160 bpm for my runs, so lots of my "pump up" songs are too slow for my training cadence. Of course, Marine Corps running cadence songs still get me going...esp the ones from "Full Metal Jacket".

"I don't know but I've been told, Eskimo p***y is mighty cold"

Why 160? Normal recommendations are for cadence to be 170-180?
  • jondspen
    Most of the sites I have seen agree that 'elite' or 'top performing' runners run at 170-180. I am neither. In the Corps, I ran a slower cadence with a longer stride; it just 'felt' right to me, and we had no running coaches to give us insight into proper form, other than a DI with arms as big as my thighs threatening us with sever bodily harm if we didn't get our *kitten* in gear.

After some research, I found a few sites like this one that say average runners are in the 160-170 range. So 1, I'm trying to break bad habits and work on form, and 2, I'm training up for a sprint triathlon, so am trying to keep it slower but ensure I maintain the same tempo for the whole 3.1 miles now. I realize it's just a sprint, but as I move up in distance, I want to hold the reigns back and learn to pace myself for the long haul, esp. since I have a tendency to push hard at first, then crash later. I do expect my cadence to increase as I get use to longer run and my endurance/strength increases.
  • DX2JX2
    jondspen wrote: »
    Most of the sites I have seen agree that 'elite' or 'top performing' runners run at 170-180. I am neither. In the Corps, I ran a slower cadence with a longer stride; it just 'felt' right to me, and we had no running coaches to give us insight into proper form, other than a DI with arms as big as my thighs threatening us with sever bodily harm if we didn't get our *kitten* in gear.

After some research, I found a few sites like this one that say average runners are in the 160-170 range. So 1, I'm trying to break bad habits and work on form, and 2, I'm training up for a sprint triathlon, so am trying to keep it slower but ensure I maintain the same tempo for the whole 3.1 miles now. I realize it's just a sprint, but as I move up in distance, I want to hold the reigns back and learn to pace myself for the long haul, esp. since I have a tendency to push hard at first, then crash later. I do expect my cadence to increase as I get use to longer run and my endurance/strength increases.

It's definitely something you have to practice but it's pretty easy to get used to. I increased my 'natural' cadence from the mid/high 160's to the mid 170's in a couple of weeks for all slower speeds (I do hit 180 or above on faster runs). It will feel odd at first but you'll find the rhythm after a couple of runs.

You will feel a definite beneficial difference in the effort you expend when running and in the impact to your legs. Smaller strides/faster cadence allow you to run more efficiently. It's weird but you'll actually be able to relax your legs while you run and the low impact to your knees will make it feel like you're actually gliding over the ground instead of pounding it into submission.

It's simple enough to learn. The easiest way to get started is just to run in place at your desired cadence (very similar to a high knees drill though the motions won't be as exaggerated), after a couple of seconds gradually allow yourself to start drifting forward (your feet will naturally land below your center of gravity when running in place). That's the general image and feeling to keep in your head while you run. It'll seem inefficient at first but you'll quickly get used to it. When in doubt, just focus on small steps and light feet.
  • jondspen
    Just made up a new playlist and found out I misspoke (thought the songs I was using were slower that they are). If I don't have my headsets in and just singing to myself, I use Bowie "Modern Love", which is 184. It was Billy Idol "Dancing with Myself" that was 176. Thought they were 160 and 170 respectively, but looks like I moved up and forgot. Guess I started out with some 160 songs, but your right, it didn't take long to get into the 170 range a few years ago. Now surprisingly, was able to start again (2-3 months into training after a year+ off) and pushing 180+ pretty easily for most of the run. Can't keep it all the time, but a 2-3 min slow down to catch the breath after a hill or something, and I'm back up there. Chopping my stride helps, but I just mentally pick a little slower pace (170 or so) for 1 song, then pick it back up after a few min.