New Research on BCAAs-Don't waste your money.

Options

Replies

• AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »
    BCAA's may be a waste of money but my watermelon flavored powder makes my water taste great and so I am drinking more water which is a good thing. Also it seems to give me the energy to get through my workout. I sip on the water with bcaas while working out. Since I am also on a currently on a cut I'm probably not getting all my aminos from food so that's another reason to supplement with it. I also drink protein shakes and eat protein bars to get more protein.

If it works for you great but you do realize that most bcaa's only give a small portion of essential amino acids right?

...and without the rest of the EAAs, BCAAs do nothing. It's like trying to build a house when you have all the nails and tools you need, but no wood. Not going to get very far.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    BCAA's may be a waste of money but my watermelon flavored powder makes my water taste great and so I am drinking more water which is a good thing. Also it seems to give me the energy to get through my workout. I sip on the water with bcaas while working out. Since I am also on a currently on a cut I'm probably not getting all my aminos from food so that's another reason to supplement with it. I also drink protein shakes and eat protein bars to get more protein.

The bold is a placebo effect. If you want to have quick energy during your workouts then go for glucose.
    You aren't fuelling your workout from sipping BCAA drinks.
  • Lean59man
    Lean59man Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    For quick energy during a workout drink a cup of coffee.

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »

The bold is a placebo effect. If you want to have quick energy during your workouts then go for glucose.

I think some BCAAs have caffeine throw in them.. which might be the cause for energy.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options

I think some BCAAs have caffeine throw in them.. which might be the cause for energy.

At least there's some benefit if they have caffeine mixed with them.

Of course, the only benefit stems from the caffeine itself. The BCAAs are still as useless as they ever were.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »

At least there's some benefit if they have caffeine mixed with them.

Of course, the only benefit stems from the caffeine itself. The BCAAs are still as useless as they ever were.

In the video Norton discusses that there might be a recovery benefit from BCAA... so if you are dieting and lift a lot of volume (like you do in PHAT), then there might be a benefit.
  • LauraHerman1
    LauraHerman1 Posts: 10 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    "psuLemon wrote: »
    if it works for you great but you do realize that most bcaa's only give a small portion of essential amino acids right?

My supplement has 4 of the seven essential aminos plus L-glutamine and no caffine. It works for me since I am on a cut and not eating that many calories. Also as many have already stated I'm getting the other essential Aminos from my food. It works for me.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Placebo effect.
  • Lean59man
    Lean59man Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    If you want all the essential amino acids eat eggs.

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    "psuLemon wrote: »
    if it works for you great but you do realize that most bcaa's only give a small portion of essential amino acids right?

My supplement has 4 of the seven essential aminos plus L-glutamine and no caffine. It works for me since I am on a cut and not eating that many calories. Also as many have already stated I'm getting the other essential Aminos from my food. It works for me.

even on a cut you should be getting all you need from food...

Getting in enough protein while on a cut is one of the most frequent pieces of advice given...helps keep you feeling fuller long etc.

PS it works for the company you are throwing money at too...besides you can get watermelon flavour water flavour cheaper.
  • LauraHerman1
    Options
    Lean59man wrote: »

I do eat eggs every day.

Also I get plenty of protein, about 150 g a day.
  • psuLemon
    Options

I do eat eggs every day.

Then there is absolutely no need for BCAA's then. You are eating more protein than required, even during a cut. During cuts, it's recommend at 1.5-2.2g/kg of weight. And the higher end is based on if you are fairly lean and fairly active.
  • broseidonkingofbrocean
    Options

I do eat eggs every day.

Like others said you are getting enough from your diet. Now if they make you think that they help you during your workouts, keep taking them. Assuming you aren't on a budget. You'll always get the "waste of money" lecture here but who here doesn't waste their money on something irrelevant. I personally take them and will continue to. They end up being a fairly cheap supplement for me, I buy 90 servings for around $50 and mix a single serving in a half gallon of water.
  • LauraHerman1
    Options

I do eat eggs every day.

Like others said you are getting enough from your diet. Now if they make you think that they help you during your workouts, keep taking them. Assuming you aren't on a budget. You'll always get the "waste of money" lecture here but who here doesn't waste their money on something irrelevant. I personally take them and will continue to. They end up being a fairly cheap supplement for me, I buy 90 servings for around $50 and mix a single serving in a half gallon of water.

Thank you for that. I bought a container from Vitamin Shoppe for $20.00 and it's 45 servings. One serving is 10g and I use one serving a day mixed in 24 ounces of water.

• LauraHerman1
    Options

I do eat eggs every day.

Then there is absolutely no need for BCAA's then. You are eating more protein than required, even during a cut. During cuts, it's recommend at 1.5-2.2g/kg of weight. And the higher end is based on if you are fairly lean and fairly active.

I am lean, 101 pounds at 5' tall small frame and I am active. I work out 4 to 5 times a week lifting and twice a week cardio for 30 minutes. So 1.5g per pound works out to 150g a day which is what my trainer recommended on this cut to help prevent muscle loss. Also why she recommended taking essential Aminos.
  • mmapags
    edited October 2017
    Options

I do eat eggs every day.

I am lean, 101 pounds at 5' tall small frame and I am active. I work out 4 to 5 times a week lifting and twice a week cardio for 30 minutes. So 1.5g per pound works out to 150g a day which is what my trainer recommended on this cut to help prevent muscle loss. Also why she recommended taking essential Aminos.

Did you read the research posted at the beginning of this thread?

ETA: There is also another research paper posted as well as an article by Alan Aragon, one of the foremost leading experts on fitness nutrition. All agree that BCAAs have no effective impact. I've seen and heard some trainers says lot's of things that don't jive with science over the years. Both here and in gyms. Maybe you should forward those links to your trainer and have a conversation.

If you get placebo value, fine. And the $$ are not that much. Personally, I just don't see any reason to take anything that is making a substantial difference. The only workout supplement I take is Creatine and that has lots of research proving it's effectiveness.
  • mmapags
    edited October 2017
    Options
    From the Alan Aragon article.
    What happens if I’ll try to use BCAA on high protein diet?

Unless you’re specifically planning on going on a low-protein diet, all it will do is either a) stimulate appetite, since BCAA has been successfully used for this purpose to treat anorexic patients, b) give your body a little bit of extra work in processing it & whatever flavoring & other compounds it might contain, c) add extra calories to your diet, or d) all of the previous. Don’t forget that if your diet has sufficient protein, it has sufficient BCAA; 18-25% of the high-quality protein in your diet is BCAA. I suppose you could take it for a placebo boost if you really want that.
  • LauraHerman1
    edited October 2017
    Options
    mmagags wrote:
    Did you read the research posted at the beginning of this thread?

ETA: There is also another research paper posted as well as an article by Alan Aragon, one of the foremost leading experts on fitness nutrition. All agree that BCAAs have no effective impact. I've seen and heard some trainers says lot's of things that don't jive with science over the years. Both here and in gyms. Maybe you should forward those links to your trainer and have a conversation.

If you get placebo value, fine. And the $$ are not that much. Personally, I just don't see any reason to take anything that is making a substantial difference. The only workout supplement I take is Creatine and that has lots of research proving it's effectiveness.

Yes I read the research. It concludes "We conclude that dietary BCAA supplements alone do not promote muscle anabolism." I'm not stating that. Just saying they make my water taste better so I drink more and it seems to help me get through my workouts, It works for me and is fairly inexpensive so I will continue. I wasn't asking for advice. I as just making a statement that it works for me. Why does everyone on here have to be so argumentative?
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    i can make water taste better by adding things that are significantly cheaper (lemon, inflused fruit) rather than supplements that have no proven efficacy...
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    also we argue - because what you are posting is counter to the entire thread...aka, the uselessness of BCAA's if you have sufficient protein in your diet...nothing that you have contributed has actually challenged the science behind the research