Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Is CICO the new Keto?

Replies

• kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    So I clicked through on the yahoo link posted later in the thread, and if it's any consolation, most of the comments below the article are pro-CICO and pointing out the obvious fallacies. I mean there's some derp down there of course, but the majority sound like our people.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    The article makes perfect sense. The "nutritionist" has something to sell, so it's basically an ad piece.

She is scarily a dietitian according to the article.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    The article makes perfect sense. The "nutritionist" has something to sell, so it's basically an ad piece.

Dr. Oz and Dr. Mercola are doctors too. Titles don't mean anything. Dietitians can be woo peddlers too (as evidenced by that article). What a load of *kitten*.

[ETA:] And I thought Intermittent Fasting was the new Keto. It has just about the same amount of magical pseudoscientific woo claims going for it.

Daily Fail love the 5:2 diet though, the "doctor" (who is a doctor but has actually been a journalist for most of his career) is on their payroll I think. So they're all about singing that particular fads' praises.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Unsurprisingly, Dave Asprey (Mr. Bulletproof Derp, errrr, Coffee) shared this on his website also, with his own take on how "CICO doesn't work". It was shared and widely mocked/derided in a couple of the evidence-based FB fitness/nutrition groups I follow.
  • VintageFeline
    sijomial wrote: »
    AnvilHead wrote: »

Dr. Oz and Dr. Mercola are doctors too. Titles don't mean anything. Dietitians can be woo peddlers too (as evidenced by that article). What a load of *kitten*.

[ETA:] And I thought Intermittent Fasting was the new Keto. It has just about the same amount of magical pseudoscientific woo claims going for it.

Daily Fail love the 5:2 diet though, the "doctor" (who is a doctor but has actually been a journalist for most of his career) is on their payroll I think. So they're all about singing that particular fads' praises.

@VintageFeline

When the 5:2 diet came out the Daily Mail were very much against it - well thought out editorials like ohmygodyougonna die if you don't eat for a few hours!
    And then as the popularity increased they flipped their stance and were all for it and serialised the book.
    It's all about headlines and readership.

As for the CICO "article" I was quite reassured they had to go all the way to the other side of the world to find a dietician quite so dopey.

The pictures were really helpful, now I know what fruit looks like! ;)

Ah. I don't follow DM that closely, my contempt is too strong but I do enjoy their daily completely contradictory diet articles from various trainers and nutritionists. Nearly all of them utter nonsense.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    I don't see what's so horrible about the article. In many cases, it's very similar to many MFP threads (maybe THAT'S what's so horrible about the article) - most of the points made do have some merit, but the lack of context is the problem.

Yes, there are some buzzwords/clickbait/hot buttons in there to generate reaction, but that doesn't invalidate the points being made. Chances are, the people who did the interview and edited the article don't know enough about health/diet/weight loss to know (or care) when they are misleading vs misinforming vs helping vs hurting the reader.
  • VintageFeline
    jjpptt2 wrote: »
    I don't see what's so horrible about the article. In many cases, it's very similar to many MFP threads (maybe THAT'S what's so horrible about the article) - most of the points made do have some merit, but the lack of context is the problem.

Yes, there are some buzzwords/clickbait/hot buttons in there to generate reaction, but that doesn't invalidate the points being made. Chances are, the people who did the interview and edited the article don't know enough about health/diet/weight loss to know (or care) when they are misleading vs misinforming vs helping vs hurting the reader.

Can you elaborate? Hard to counter/agree without specifics.
  • brendanwhite84
    brendanwhite84 Posts: 220 Member

Ah. I don't follow DM that closely, my contempt is too strong but I do enjoy their daily completely contradictory diet articles from various trainers and nutritionists. Nearly all of them utter nonsense.

As much dislike and contempt as I have for vocal Fat Activism, I will give FAs one thing in that there is a diet industry out there that profits from intentionally confusing the hell out of what is basically a settled issue in science.

Bugs me like crazy.
  • bmeadows380
    bmeadows380 Posts: 2,981 Member

I read his blood sugar diet book and tried it for all of 2 days - found out real quick that it was not sustainable in the least. It did get me looking more into the fasting craze going on now and led to some more reasonable information on all the buzz concerning insulin levels.

The book had a few decent low calorie recipes in the back though - so I didn't throw it in the garbage just yet lol
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    edited November 2017
    jjpptt2 wrote: »
    Sure. Let's see...

Quotes are from the article, not from this thread.
    'With calorie counting, you can make many mistakes,' she told Daily Mail Australia.
    'When people calorie count, they often stop counting nutrients and instead just look at the numbers.
    'This can mean they end up eating junk food, provided it meets their calorie allowance for the day.'
    A bit presumptuous perhaps, but not wrong.

Ms Cohen also said that when people 'undercut' their calories or eat less, their bodies go into 'starvation mode where your body just starts to eat muscle'
    Clearly clickbaity, but not factually wrong, at least in terms of the effects of a calorie deficit on muscle mass.

'It's ironic, because a diet like the CICO diet tries to encourage balance, but it really doesn't,' she explained.
    'Instead you become obsessed with numbers - both the numbers of calories and foods and the numbers on the scales. You might feel guilty when you eat the wrong thing.
    Again, a bit presumptuous, but still a valid concern for some.

CICO might be weight loss 101, but it's not sustainable. People who cut calories and lose weight think they'll be able to eat normally again afterwards, when it actual fact cutting calories means it needs to keep happening.
    'Such an approach might work temporarily, but it's got a pretty high rebound rate.'
    Again, the lack of context is the problem here. If people don't learn portion control, then yes... eating "normally" will be a problem, and lead to the high rebound rate. If people do learn as part of the process, they will be in a better position to succeed long term.

Thing is, the exact same things can be said about HER approach. The issue with this article is that, like many media pieces, it doesn't provide anything useful and doesn't "debunk" anything real. A gross misrepresentation of the issue discussed. That's why it's horrible. It's basically just words stacked next to each other that provide no value other than ad revenue. Things being "technically true" does not mean anything. Most known quacks say things that are technically true deliberately miss the context, so why would a quack be dismissed but this article not?

Right, but that's not really the business of media, is it? Media doesn't exist to educate. Not even the news educates any more (if it ever did).

What are realistic expectations here? Should Cohen have turned down the interview with the assumption that a internet article wouldn't serve the masses well? Should the interviewer/editor have done a more thorough piece that included context and a more well-rounded conversation of the issue(s)?

ETA -

Just to be clear, I'm not saying it's a good article. But I don't think it's some horrible piece of fiction, either. I think most of the points have validity to them, but the complete lack of context makes the article largely useless.
  • ryenday
    ryenday Posts: 1,540 Member
    edited November 2017

I read his blood sugar diet book and tried it for all of 2 days - found out real quick that it was not sustainable in the least. It did get me looking more into the fasting craze going on now and led to some more reasonable information on all the buzz concerning insulin levels.

The book had a few decent low calorie recipes in the back though - so I didn't throw it in the garbage just yet lol

Sustainable is in the eye of the beholder.

If the only thing to critique about a diet is sustainablity then that is a non issue imo because sustainability for me is 5:2 or blood sugar diet NOT daily calorie restriction. But I don’t think that just because something is not sustainable for ME it won’t work wonderfully for the next person.
  • bmeadows380
    I just saw an article repeating the same thing about CICO today on a US national news network. I couldn't read the whole thing, it was so ridiculous - the opening line basically said CICO was old fashioned.......And then at the end, recommended people shoot to control portion sizes and aim for about 1500 calories a day. Got news for them: 1500 calories a day is a deficit for me!
  • bmeadows380
    ryenday wrote: »

Sustainable is in the eye of the beholder.

If the only thing to critique about a diet is sustainablity then that is a non issue imo because sustainability for me is 5:2 or blood sugar diet NOT daily calorie restriction. But I don’t think that just because something is not sustainable for ME it won’t work wonderfully for the next person.

because of course 5:2 diet or limiting yourself to 800 calories a day for 8 weeks is not in any form daily calorie restriction....

great. 5:2 works for you. Wonderful and I'm happy for you. It doesn't work for me, and I found my health taking a serious nose dive when I tried it. Sustainability is a major part of weight loss success - I know this from hard history. If I can't keep it going, I'm going to fail.