Losing Weight Too Quickly?

I’ve lost 10.6 pounds in 20 days. My goal is 1200 but I usually eat around 1400-1700. I’m a recovering bulimic and I’ve stopped purging but still binge. I binged almost very day one week and still lost three pounds. I walk for several hours a day, and I don’t log all my walking, do you think that is causing the weight loss? I eat high carb vegan, and I can’t weigh my foods because I eat in a college dining hall. Am I overestimating my portions? The thing is I don’t feel hungry most of the time, I feel full after eating and they’re medium sized portions of veggies and grains. The cooks here also use a decent amount of olive oil. If this continues should I see a doctor? Like I’d love this trend to continue because I’d hit my goal weight in a few months but I’m worried it’s unhealthy. Thanks for your advice.

Replies

• Fitnessmom82
    Fitnessmom82 Posts: 376 Member
    I'm no expert on weight loss but maybe have your thyroid checked? It could be too fast. Happened to me many years ago. I dropped a ridiculous amount of weight without trying, very quickly. Other symptoms (that I stupidly ignored) were rapid heart rate, shaky hands, too much energy, difficulty sleeping. Good luck!
  • mcgin2sa1229
    mcgin2sa1229 Posts: 4 Member
    I’m in therapy twice a week, I have a whole host of other mental illnesses and am kind of a mess right now tbh. I started at 191 as a 5ft 2in female and now weigh 180.4. I was throwing up almost everything I ate and binging daily but I started vomiting blood and have not purged by vomiting in over two weeks. The binges are getting smaller but they’re still putting me over my TDEE (~2200 calories) most of the time. I don’t let myself go below 1200 calories and force myself to eat if I’m not there. The walking is sometimes to burn calories but I also have a really bad anxiety disorder and it calms me. I’m only taking a couple of classes right now and this is what I do to keep myself calm in my excessive free time. I’m seeing my GP next week to talk about this and a concussion I’m recovering from. I’ll see what she says. I also see my psychiatrist the first week of December. Thank you for answering and thank you for your concern.
  • steveko89
    steveko89 Posts: 2,215 Member
    Not knowing your height/weight/age/sex it's difficult to say with limited info. Given that you say at this pace you'll hit your goal weight in a few months I suspect you have weight to lose such that a high loss rate could be fine. 2lbs/week is typically cited as the maximum healthy loss rate, though given the margin for error on how much weight can fluctuate due to hydration levels and matter in your digestive tract, 10.6 probably isn't true fat loss (Could easily have been high by 2lbs on your initial weight and low by 2lbs on your most recent due to hydration). From a purely data-collection standpoint, I'm a fan of taking a daily scale weight and comparing the trends over time. Having your goal at 1200 is bare minimum and a pretty aggressive deficit unless you're very slight of build; 1400-1700 is probably eating at some semblance of a deficit.

Overall, three weeks isn't all that long to be tracking, as long as you don't feel as though anything wrong with your body I'd stay the course and see if it continues. If the trend continues and you think something else may be amiss then see a doctor.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    I’m in therapy twice a week, I have a whole host of other mental illnesses and am kind of a mess right now tbh. I started at 191 as a 5ft 2in female and now weigh 180.4. I was throwing up almost everything I ate and binging daily but I started vomiting blood and have not purged by vomiting in over two weeks. The binges are getting smaller but they’re still putting me over my TDEE (~2200 calories) most of the time. I don’t let myself go below 1200 calories and force myself to eat if I’m not there. The walking is sometimes to burn calories but I also have a really bad anxiety disorder and it calms me. I’m only taking a couple of classes right now and this is what I do to keep myself calm in my excessive free time. I’m seeing my GP next week to talk about this and a concussion I’m recovering from. I’ll see what she says. I also see my psychiatrist the first week of December. Thank you for answering and thank you for your concern.

Does your therapist know that you're trying to lose weight and using a calorie counting website?
  • mcgin2sa1229
    Yes and she was supportive. I tried intuitive eating like they originally wanted me to and gained ten pounds, which only made the bulimia worse. Restricting at a supposedly mild deficit has helped me stop vomiting because I feel in control of body and weight. Only now it may be doing too much of what I want.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Yes and she was supportive. I tried intuitive eating like they originally wanted me to and gained ten pounds, which only made the bulimia worse. Restricting at a supposedly mild deficit has helped me stop vomiting because I feel in control of body and weight. Only now it may be doing too much of what I want.

Cool, thanks for clarifying.

Three pounds a week is a lot. Is that what you lost in one week or what you're averaging?

If you are losing weight consistently, then your binges aren't putting you over your TDEE.

Would logging your walking be a trigger for you or is it an option to help you determine what your TDEE might really be?
  • mcgin2sa1229
    I lost 7.5 in a week and a half, plataueted for for a while, then dropped three pounds over one week.
    I set my activity level as “lightly active” in the counter so don’t log all my activity as some of it has to count for the baseline. Maybe I’m doing this wrong? Maybe I just have a naturally high tdee so the counter is off? I can start logging all my walking and eating accordingly and see if that slows the weight loss down to a more healthy rate, it won’t trigger me. In fact seeing the calories burned makes me happy.