1g of protein per lb of body weight?

I have been looking online for the best amount of protein to be consuming and a lot of sites say 1g per lb of body weight and others say 1g per kg of body weight so it’s left me confused because there’s a big difference between the two. I weigh 128lb which is about 58 kg and I have been consuming 160g of protein a day, is this too much? Too little? What’s the adequate amount of protein I should be consuming? Thanks!

Replies

• Jonnydebrasco
    Jonnydebrasco Posts: 68 Member
    Yup what was said above is perfect!
  • kazane1
    kazane1 Posts: 264 Member
    edited December 2017
    Okay thanks for the help my target is is to bulk and build muscle and as I weigh 128lb would 150g of protein be okay or would that be too much? Also what is lean body mass? I’m currently eating in a surplus and I want to bulk and put on weight as well as muscle.
  • deputy_randolph
    deputy_randolph Posts: 940 Member
    I weigh 138 (currently) and generally eat around 150g of protein (in maintenance). My kidneys function perfectly.

I've found that during a bulk...I don't need to be so carb-phobic. During my last (most successful bulk), I was eating about 130g of protein and upped the carbs to 200+g.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,373 MFP Moderator
    edited December 2017
    Whether you are cutting, bulking or maintaining, there is a range that you aim for, understanding that you don't need to be perfect everyday. And depending on how lean you are, will determine where you should be. As you will note below, there is variation in the recommendations. But the video is a bit more geared towards bodybuilders/competitors. So at least 1.5 to 2.2g/kg

http://www.nrcresearchpress.com/doi/pdf/10.1139/apnm-2015-0549

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wC6aG4dlRZg

• kazane1
    Okay thanks all I think I’ll stick with 150g a day then I think this will work good and I stick to 70g of fat and then make the rest up with carbs. Hopefully these are the right goals for me to be hitting.
  • kazane1
    Just re thinking my intakes after reading what everyone has said and do you think 120g of protein a day will still be enough to bulk and put on muscle? I’m currently eating in a surplus eating, 3,170 calories. And at the moment I have been eating 160g of protein, 70g of fat and 475g of carbs. I think my protein intake may be a little high and would I benefit more from eating 120g of protein and then eating more carbs? It’s just because this app breaks down your macros using % at the moment I’m eating at 20% protein which works out at 160g of protein and when I change it to 15% it goes down to 120g so I’m kinda left between having to pick one of those options I think. Thanks for all the good input so far everyone!
  • JAYxMSxPES
    JAYxMSxPES Posts: 193 Member
    edited December 2017
    Honestly the research is all over the board when it comes to protein suggestions for resistance-training. I've read 1.3kgs / kg BW, 1.4kg's, 2.3kg's, 0.8gms / lb of BW, 1gm / lb; it's pretty crazy if you start reading. It was something I thought would be fun to study in school and it was not. LOL! Generally speaking I would say that the .8gm to 1gm per LB is a good target.

If you're consuming 120gm's now, then you're probably fine. If you feel like you need a little more for some reason it's not going to hurt you, just don't dwell on the subject. Make sure your overall nutrition supports what you want to achieve along with your training protocol, focus on the big-picture.
  • pbryd
    pbryd Posts: 364 Member
    As long as you're somewhere between 120g - 160g then don't sweat it.

20g servings spaced throughout the day is good place to start.

40g per meal, 4x per day gives optimal results.

Source: https://www.strongerbyscience.com/athlete-protein-intake/
  • kazane1
    Thanks for the helpful advice everyone sorry I haven’t been back on here in a while but life got in the way recently but I really appreciate all your help and I will be using this advice
  • kazane1
    Okay thanks for the advice I’ll continue eating at 150g of protein then I think but you just said you go by the rule of 1g of protein to 1lb of body weight so as you weigh 190lbs shouldn’t you be eating 190g of protein not 250g ?