Contingency plan when the munchies hit!

Hi all & happy Friday

Quick question.. what do you eat/ do if you’re super hungry after you’ve eaten your days kcal.

The munchies hit and so I’ve just eaten 2 wholemeal crisp breads and a tsp honey but now I’m over my goal :-/

All ideas, tips welcome xx

Replies

• RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Did you eat your exercise calories if you exercised?

Save some calories for afternoon/evening.
  • GlorianasTears
    GlorianasTears Posts: 212 Member
    Eat kale chips or seaweed from the Asian markets. Or if all else fails eat your snacks but make sure you either increase your steps throughout the next day or you do some cardio. Also add more veggies to your meals and have something that has fat in it a user then you will feel satisfied for longer <3
  • LondonWinter18
    LondonWinter18 Posts: 6 Member
    Plan better.
    In what way? I’m new here so any tips helpful thank you
  • LondonWinter18
    Herbal tea, ice water with lemon, slices of cucumber, take a 30-minute walk outside, meet a friend at a coffee shop and don't order a pastry, air popped popcorn (my husband likes that butter flavored powder you can sprinkle over it), scramble an egg or two (74 calories each) and maybe add in some steamed broccoli, an 8-ounce can of Coke Zero. Then I chalk up any slight overage for the day as no big deal and aim for a better result the next day.

Thank you! I will try these ideas x

• Maxxitt
    Maxxitt Posts: 1,281 Member
    I experienced munchies beginning a deficit eating program and discovered that leaving 150 calories for evening snack and also spacing protein intake (aiming for 125g a day) through the day helped. I also found that hot drinks, like broth, almond milk with added cinnamon and cocoa powder, tea all of which are very low cal. etc also helped. Good luck!
  • LondonWinter18
    Maxxitt wrote: »
    I experienced munchies beginning a deficit eating program and discovered that leaving 150 calories for evening snack and also spacing protein intake (aiming for 125g a day) through the day helped. I also found that hot drinks, like broth, almond milk with added cinnamon and cocoa powder, tea all of which are very low cal. etc also helped. Good luck!

Thank you!
  • LondonWinter18
    Some days you can't win, such as today. Study today, and figure out why you got to late afternoon and were already over your calories.

I don't know your situation. My solution to this problem would be to get on the treadmill in my living room and earn a small meal in the next hour. If you can do some vigorous exercise, you can get your calorie totals back to green and deserve a small meal.

Ahh ok thanks for the ideas.

Happily it’s nearly midnight where I am not afternoon and I’m still well under maintaince so it’s not a total write off :-)

• Falklang
    Falklang Posts: 220 Member
    hroderick wrote: »
    diet soda, no flames please. it works for me, has zero calories and is convenient

I'm actually using diet soda real effectively on my plan :) But yeah as Jerome has said, try to learn from today and plan better, because if you have logged correctly, eaten high fiber foods and are eating enough calories you shouldn't really be feeling the munchies. Also you may be just thirsty so chug down some water and wait 15 minutes.
  • melissa6771
    melissa6771 Posts: 894 Member
    edited January 2018
    @LondonWinter18

Some days you are just hungrier. That's normal.

Find low calorie snacks that won't put you way over. 3-4 Scrambled egg whites with diced ham and veggies is a lot of food for low cals and mostly protein. Carrots, celery, cucumber with low cal dip or hummus. Air popped popcorn with a bit of salt or Kernel seasons on it. Kernel seasons comes in all kinds of fun flavors. An apple with a tablespoon of all natural peanut butter or an ounce of low fat sliced cheese. Sugar free hot chocolate. Halo top ice cream. Whole wheat sandwich thin or two slices low cal bread with 1 tablespoon of all natural peanut butter and some polaner all fruit. Unsweetened Apple sauce heated with a sweetener and some cinnamon. Tastes like Apple pie. Vanilla Greek yogurt with mix ins, either blueberries and a few chopped walnuts, or a couple chopped walnuts, coconut flakes and mini chocolate chips, or a tablespoon of nature valley protein granola. Pure protein bars

All of the above are 200 calories or less.

I am typically hungrier at night so I start eating later in the day. I drink a protein coffee in the morning and then eat at 1,4,7 (300-350 cal meals) and a snack at 10. This works very well for me. My 10:00 snack is usually a pure protein bar these days. Tastes Like dessert.
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Salad and a Pepsi Max. Can be high volume without many calories.
  • Jenniferakajacel311
    Jenniferakajacel311 Posts: 160 Member
    Try increasing your protein intake throughout the day.
  • Blythmag
    Blythmag Posts: 252 Member
    Pickled onions.
  • grumpopuppo
    grumpopuppo Posts: 90 Member
    Tea (or any other low cal hot drink), low cal vegetables, gum. Not living within walking distance of a store and likewise not having a car also helps. :D
  • LondonWinter18
    Thanks everyone! Ideas much appreciated :-)