Flu and exercise

I somehow caught the flu and had missed 2 workouts due to sore throat and fever. I been taking medicine and I feel a lot better now and I feel good enough that I want to workout. How soon can I workout after catching the flu? Can I still workout with a flu if I don't have a fever?

Replies

• macgurlnet
    macgurlnet Posts: 1,946 Member
    I would wait until you feel good enough to go about your normal day without being tired or taking any medicine before you work out.

And avoid going to the gym until you've been symptom-free for a week or so - sharing germs isn't good!

~Lyssa
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    macgurlnet wrote: »
    I would wait until you feel good enough to go about your normal day without being tired or taking any medicine before you work out.

And avoid going to the gym until you've been symptom-free for a week or so - sharing germs isn't good!

~Lyssa

Especially true at the moment given the strains that are causing an epidemic and a lot of deaths. That is of course if it's the flu and not just a cold, flu regardless of strain, takes a good week to get over at best.
  • pamfgil
    pamfgil Posts: 449 Member
    See how you,feel, and go a lot lighter than you usually do, although if only keeping symptoms at bay with medication, then wait
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Please don’t go to the gym. If you must do something, walk and do body weight exercises outside where you won’t infect others.
  • I was planning to just workout at home and maybe go back to the gym on Monday or just sometime next week.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,974 Member
    There is a nationwide flu epidemic going on.

Contagion can last anywhere from a few days to a few weeks. Do the others at your gym a BIG favor and stay away for at least for a couple of weeks whether you "feel better" or not, so that you are less likely to spread the disease unintentionally.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    When I had the flu, I was in bed three days before I could even walk to the mailbox. If you've been fever free without medication for 24hrs, you should be ok to try light exercise. Start easy and see how you feel. Do you not have a cough? I coughed for months after the flu and couldn't do much more intense than walking for a while. I did lift, but coughed in between sets, trying to catch my breath.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Yes, wait it out and don’t risk exercise. The flu can be very dangerous. Even when you feel better, it will probably take a few days after that for your body to fully recover.