“Normal” Vegan Recipes

mamabear1114
mamabear1114 Posts: 140 Member
Okay not even trying to be ugly or condescending about this, but vegan recipes scare me. I’m not the most adventurous eater and a lot of the recipes have ingredients that I have no idea what they are/where to get them. Over the last couple months I’ve really been trying to incorporate more plant based foods into my diet and get a little more creative in the kitchen. I’ve tried replacing one meal a day as a vegan meal and I’m slowly trying to transition. Does anybody have some “beginner” level vegan recipes to share? I also feel I should mention I don’t have a lot of nifty kitchen tools that some vegan recipes require like food processors and things like that so please keep that in mind. Thanks for sharing, happy eating!

Replies

• estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,285 Member
    You can do a lot with rice (or some other grain) and beans (or split peas or lentils). Add seasonings and/or tomato sauce and you're usually good to go.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,953 Member
    The first "normal" vegan meal that comes to mind is pasta in tomato based sauce. Risotto is another good one.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,953 Member
    If you like Asian food, it's also very easy to vegan as it tends not to have dairy, and you can sub out any meat or eggs for tofu or seitan. So you can whip up some great fried rice, or noodle dishes.
  • tess5036
    tess5036 Posts: 942 Member
    Couscous made with a vegetable stock and veggies stirred in.
  • EHollander89
    EHollander89 Posts: 169 Member
    http://vegweb.com/recipes/lime-peanut-noodles

I really like this recipe! I made the sauce in my blender (recipe said to use a food processor), but you could probably mix by hand if needed.
  • LarryRacesBikes
    LarryRacesBikes Posts: 17 Member
    Check out the website: https://www.onegreenplanet.org/foodmonster/ and the accompanying app Food Monster. They have terrific recipes. I am very frugal but decided to subscribe. I have found the trick is getting your larder stocked and ready to transition to a Plant Based diet. Simple things like coconut yogurt which is simple to make, couscous, quinoa in addition to brown rice. Plant Based diets can give so many more taste options than meat based. Something as simple as a baked sweet potatoe topped with beans can be very satisfying, over time you can learn to doctor them up a bit. As I live in San Francisco I found Amazon Fresh is a great way to get the basics (canned beans, couscous, flours etc) and cheaper than going to the market, though I will always go to market for my fresh Produce.
  • rarintogo
    rarintogo Posts: 5 Member
    Love all the ideas especially using the rice cooker for other foods besides rice. I have sub cauliflower for rice for years in my cooking and don't miss the starch, virtually undetectable in cabbage rolls..
  • beth98012
    beth98012 Posts: 3 Member
    There is a book called Supermarket Vegan. The recipes are all normal ingredients you can find at the grocery store you shop at.

• maryjennifer
    maryjennifer Posts: 124 Member
    Here are some great vegan recipes from buzzfeed that are easy to prepare for beginners: https://www.buzzfeed.com/hannahloewentheil/28-vegan-recipes-for-every-night-in-february?utm_term=.jdVvMLP3D#.islRK1a7g
  • caiteh86
    caiteh86 Posts: 243 Member
    This is one of my favourite vegan recipes, I'd definitely say it's "beginner" level:

https://jessicainthekitchen.com/coconut-chickpea-curry-recipe/

The only tweak I made was that I added a couple tbsp of natural peanut butter to it...because I'm obsessed with peanut curry. It was DELICIOUS. Didn't even eat it with rice...not necessary.
  • Gbyy23
    Gbyy23 Posts: 1 Member
    A simple teriaky bowl. Use white steamed rice as the base, stirfry broccoli with mushrooms, and slightly fried tofu with soy sauce. Add some terriaky sauce on top. Its so easy to make and my favorite.
  • alviaud
    alviaud Posts: 7 Member
    Hi. I started vegan 6 weeks ago and I feel great. I used to think tasty food was long to prepare and head busting. Now I whip up delicious meals in 5 to 10 minutes. I've tasted things I'd never eaten before. Foods from all over France and the world, always yummy and colourful. :p