Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Things that affect CICO

Ainadan
Ainadan Posts: 158 Member
Ok, so an assumption that I wanted to start out with is that calories-in, calories-out (CICO) is the only way to lose weight. This is not up for debate in this thread. However, I wanted to discuss things that may make a difference in either the CI side or the CO side and help an individual lose weight.

For instance: More sleep leads to more energy which means you may workout or move around more, which increases in calories out.
Or: If you eat healthier foods you are more satiated on fewer calories, so you eat less (fewer calories in.)

What are some things that you think affect weightloss because they may affect CICO?
Note, this doesn't mean that any of these things are universal, because again, CICO is what actually changes things, but I've noticed people have some things which help them achieve their calorie and activity goals.

Replies

• lessismoreohio
    lessismoreohio Posts: 910 Member
    I think drinking my 7 glasses of water per day and staying hydrated helps with my CICO. Perhaps allowing for more efficient use of calories.

I know that there is not universal agreement on good calories versus bad calories with respect to CICO. This being said, for me, I believe that some foods are harder to digest and process the calories and thus have an impact on CICO and weight loss.

If a food is harder to digest, then it will have a higher TEF and will have a positive impact on weight loss. It's what so funny when people (not you) say that fast food is hard to digest. IF that were true, then fast food would aid in weight loss. Reality is that the impact of "harder to digest" foods is minimal. Yes chicken has a higher TEF than pasta, but in a well rounded diet the difference is not enough to consider.

Thank you for this insight.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Autoimmune issues or poor health can affect things. Eating for energy or affected appetite, malabsorption, nutrient deficiencies, poor sleep, lack of energy (less movement), affected hormones... poor health, even if not an autoimmune issue can make losing harder for me.

Food choices. For me carbs cause hunger, fat and protein are satiating.

Also in food choices, some foods will lower CI or raise calories out due to the type. Protein is more thermogenic than fat which is more thermogenic than carbs. Those with insulin resistance may have hormones that affect fat loss or storage and appetite, so choosing lower carbs may help with that.

Some supplements will affect CO in small ways, such as caffeine. Small is the key word there.

Activity and exercise will increase CO. No question there.

Stress and fatigue. Seems to lower CO a bit.

Gender. Dammit.

Size and age, although age seems to be partially affected by healthy and activity; menopause too.

Proper hydration and electrolytes will probably have a small impact on CO and CI.

Meal timing might make a small difference for some people - probably mainly those with IR issues too.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,373 MFP Moderator
    edited September 2017
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    Autoimmune issues or poor health can affect things. Eating for energy or affected appetite, malabsorption, nutrient deficiencies, poor sleep, lack of energy (less movement), affected hormones... poor health, even if not an autoimmune issue can make losing harder for me.

Also in food choices, some foods will lower CI or raise calories out due to the type. Protein is more thermogenic than fat which is more thermogenic than carbs. Those with insulin resistance may have hormones that affect fat loss or storage and appetite, so choosing lower carbs may help with that.

Some supplements will affect CO in small ways, such as caffeine. Small is the key word there.

Gender. Dammit.

Size and age, although age seems to be partially affected by healthy and activity; menopause too.

Proper hydration and electrolytes will probably have a small impact on CO and CI.

Meal timing might make a small difference for some people - probably mainly those with IR issues too.

Carbs are more thermogenic that fats. The breakdown is protein is 20 to 25%, carbs are 5 to 6%, and fats are 2 to 3%.

Diets high in fiber and protein tend to have the greatest satiety on most people, which makes compliance much easier. But ultimately, things that increase EE are protein (minimally), muscle (4 to 6 calories a day, but can have an impact if enough is gains), exercise calories, and changes to NEAT. So if you get out of your desk more, park further away, etc, you will see increase to EE.

Also, you can help reduce impacts to EE with things like resistance training (helps sustain muscle) and occasional diet breaks; although for the latter, it's been awhile since I have seen some good data on that. I can definitely help with compliance.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    I think the following impact:

under eating impacts CO.
    The nutrient value of the foods as well. I have more energy on days I've eaten nutrient dense foods. CO and CI
    Mental place..if you aren't ready to do this you will obsess over food and what you think you can't have..

For example people who eat a VLCD won't have the energy to move as much and those who aren't satisfied will search for more food
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    psuLemon wrote: »
    nvmomketo wrote: »

Gender. Dammit.

Carbs are more thermogenic that fats. The breakdown is protein is 20 to 25%, carbs are 5 to 6%, and fats are 2 to 3%.

My mistake. Thank you.

• ZaryaZarina
    ZaryaZarina Posts: 9 Member
    PCOS lowers your BMR, sometimes by hundreds of calories.
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18678372
  • pamfgil
    pamfgil Posts: 449 Member
    Exercise for me is essential to keeping a deficit, it gives me more energy so I do more during the day. I'm lucky in that my response to exercise is either less appetite, or at least no increase in appetite
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    I think drinking my 7 glasses of water per day and staying hydrated helps with my CICO. Perhaps allowing for more efficient use of calories.

I know that there is not universal agreement on good calories versus bad calories with respect to CICO. This being said, for me, I believe that some foods are harder to digest and process the calories and thus have an impact on CICO and weight loss.

It also means more trips to the bathroom and thus more walking.