Senior Golden Sneakers

Replies

• NikonPal
    NikonPal Posts: 1,346 Member
    Yesterday was a busy one… won’t bother to re-hash…but it was a good day. As for this morning…all the usual from gym to lunch prep… Weather is cold but beautiful (warm walking in sun) and just finished eating lunch. Jean has taken her friend to the hair dresser and should return soon for an outdoors walk. Here are pics of weather, lunch (Wild caught haddock, broccoli florets w/ splash of soy, squash, garlic/herb riced cauliflower, lemon) and a bit of humor.

9bpmxitdzawq.jpg

b2y5lgxnpt6a.jpg

o562bn1rxwtj.jpg

Lin – Glad U liked lunch. As you can see from above – Jean is at it again… but this should be a quick 1 hr deal. She is a VERY good hearted woman, but her husband is a real #&^*… :D . Then time for fresh air! Did you enjoy - “The Wind in the Willows”?

Sandy – So how did that Ninja chicken breast turn out? Don’t blame you on the delivery charge plus tip… no point in wasting money for things you don’t need immediately. As for a part time job, I did some freelance for a while – but thinking of getting something on a regular basis for a few hours 10-15 max. No interest in an office environment – been there done that… LOL

Jackie – Love the lunch! Haphazard would be half my lunches – never know til I start putting things together. The important thing is – it was tasty. When I changed a lot of eating habits a long time ago, I found it easier and more enjoyable to have meals look appetizing and not like some kind of diet. But again, this is something I enjoy doing – Jean wouldn’t care how I served a meal to her. We actually laugh about it. I do enjoy when she makes a request for something special.

I agree that Spode can be expensive – it was amazing when Lennox closed their store last month at the mall…nothing was held back and prices eventually dropped to 90% off!!! But we really had no use for more than a couple items. We have some beautiful / elegant china but rarely use it. Told Jean our daughter can sell or keep after we croak :D .

Gotta run – just heard Jean pull in…. ps Sandy – just saw your new post and glad that the chicken turned out “great.” Going to check out that Ninja… :)

Happy healthy Friday to all. Bob

• jwubben6600
    jwubben6600 Posts: 1,677 Member
    Cloudy and cool today. I have much to do and things keep malfunctioning and breaking! In an old house, I know one needs to expect that. However, it always happens in groups. We are currently experiencing a plumbing group breakdown! The hot water heater replacement went great and from beginning to end, was only a two hour job. Now just the toilet in John’s little bathroom is leaking and needs replacing. Not a very glamours upgrade but necessary.

Yes, the blue lens for computer use is not as helpful as one would hope. Some but not entirely solving the problem of computer stressed eyes. Our son says it is the most current job related ailment, along with carpel tunnel issues.

Tonight is pizza night. I am trying the cauliflower crust and veggie toppings. I know that sounds awful but I think it will taste better than it sounds. John is ready for a change in weekend menu. Back in the olden times...when our kids lived at home with us, we had weekend hamburgers and chips with dip. Today that sounds delicious but we would be in the hospital after we ate. I don’t think I can digest beef any more. There are other interesting menu options however.

I have been decorating for thanksgiving and autumn. I somehow could not get it together for Halloween. I usually really enjoy that and Katie and I have several Halloween costumes. It takes extra effort to enjoy these holidays when it is just the two of us. So we will celebrate and share with you sneakers.....
    Patsy☘️

• linder4866
    linder4866 Posts: 11,356 Member
    edited October 2020
    Good afternoon. Bills are paid and supplies lined up in anticipation of working on another Christmas card design. The front of the card has 5 layers as well as some stamping. These will take a while! There is a Halloween parade this evening. I don’t think I will be outdoors to watch as I am not putting candy out at the end of the driveway, although the organizers said no treats are needed.

Today The Shows Must Go On debuted another show, “Midnight Tango.” I had not heard of it (oh and yes Bob, I did like “The Wind In The Willows.”)

Short blurb about the show: This weekend’s show has now been confirmed as Midnight Tango. It’s a production that boasts brilliant dancers from across the world, with Vincent Simon and Flavio Cacace – of Strictly Come Dancing fame – creating the production.

I have watched a bit of it but I am not in the mood for lots of tango dancing. A little bit was fine. I might watch a bit more later, or not.

I will admit I do online jigsaw puzzles each day. I have been trying to gather Golden Pumpkins in order to receive lots of coins (for purchasing puzzle packs) as well as a few free puzzles. I have spent too much time on it and it ends on November 1st. It isn’t counting up all the pumpkins I have received. It seems to reset each day. Unfortunately a pumpkin is one of five or six different possibilities when you finish a puzzle. No way I will ever get 10 of those in a day. I surrender!

I did this puzzle today and it was fiendishly difficult.

n8mbzk8zzj6j.jpeg

But I liked it when completed. Speaking of puzzles, I did purchase a quite inexpensive puzzle which may hit the trash bin soon. The pieces do not lock into place, and they are pretty much interchangeable, which is highly frustrating. No way to know in many cases if you have a piece in the proper spot. I have shifted and shifted pieces and have totally lost interest in this EASY puzzle. I will not purchase this brand again.

Also eating up my day, grocery orders. Haaaa. I tried to place a Walmart order and apparently my store is busy as they had some delivery slots for a different location over the weekend. That was odd so I have a slot on Monday morning. I may change my mind and cancel the order as several things I wanted changed to Out Of Stock and had to be removed from the cart when I checked out. I do have a little Amazon order in for tomorrow morning.

Exciting day yes? Oh and I tried to trim my hair. Disaster! Oh my, it looks worse. 🙃🙃

Bob, good luck in finding a part time job. It would be nice to have something you like to do that brings in some $$. Love the broccoli. 🥦. I like it with 🥕🥕.

Jackie, it was kind of you to spend time with your older friend. It is hard to drink tea with a mask on though. Just kidding. Are you feeling things are more cozy now? Or are you still deciding which items you want in your rooms? The Zoom meeting I attended the other evening was in Hygge. And in essence, I like being cozy and comfortable but I don’t think I will have four white candles lit, wool blankets, etc. Not strict rules I guess. One library had hygge evenings a winter or two ago. They have a nice fireplace and people were to sign up and come in to sit in front of the fire and they would have some low key activities. Never got there. It was too cold outside to go out at night!

Anne, a happy day for you and Jilly. Say, did the curtain rod get all sorted out? I may have missed what you said about that.

Sandy, wahoo, it will be a lovely Halloween for you. Soup sounds good and costumes, what fun. By the way, nitrogen in my tires. Yes, I purchased my tires at Costco and they only fill tires with nitrogen. Seems they don’t go flat as quickly or often as with air inflation. And I had no choice. Anyway, they have changed things, so what hasn’t changed right? Instead of a technician, they have self service nitrogen filling stations, you have to do it yourself. Outside in the weather. I am not thrilled with using old arthritic hands to do this. The guy showed me how but I am not confident I will perform the task with ease. So this ends the story of the nitrogen.

Patsy, hello. How did the work on the house go the other day?

I picked up my library books and wahoo, the newest Louise Penny book is in the stack. I will start to read it this evening.

Best wishes everyone. Hi Barbie, Buzz, Jeri and Diane.

Lin
    👍🏻❤️

• Gawanne35
    Gawanne35 Posts: 2,670 Member
    edited October 2020
    You shouldn't have said the word chips PATSY. You've got me yearning for an English chip! It's so cold here today that a chip sounds just the thing for a dark and frosty night! I shall forthwith go and make me some fat, plump, chunky chips!

I know what you mean about old houses as well. I don't know who is the most decrepit, me or the house. Actually it is a perfect Halloween house. Old and cobwebby, no decorating need be done here.
    The night before Halloween when graves give up their dead, - what a load of cods wallop, or is it? said she peering shortsightedly over her blankie. Bean will protect me.

Bean is looking very pretty. She shed her Pomeranian ruff during the heat of summer, but now it's growing back, a veritable scarf against the chill.

I guess tomorrow night will be a good night to read "The Monkeys Paw"!

Michael was over and we had quiche, mashed potatoes, and Brussels sprouts for lunch. And here I am making chips. Why am I on a fitness site, lol.

Yours plumpily, not much skeleton here sigh,

Anne wooooooooooooo 👻

PS.
    Just noticed LIN who's younger leaping in before me. Hi Lin, no just the plaster still drying out according to Mark. Hope I get the curtain rod back before Christmas!
  • Gawanne35
    Chips are GOOD! Ask Bean!
  • Sandydur
    Sandydur Posts: 9,266 Member
    When you say chips Anne, do you mean our french fries? Here is a picture of my Ninja dinner. Chicken wings air grilled and french fries air crisps! So delicious and healthy!
    wkbwft5shlx0.jpeg

Have a good night’s sleep.
  • pinkperil
    pinkperil Posts: 5,072 Member
    edited October 2020
    Oh no, near midnight again. 🙀 🎃
    One of those days! I held off walking the dogs until the chimney sweep had been and that visit didn’t go well. As he pulled the brush and rods back down he found shreds of the liner caught round it and announced that it’s breaking up and will have to be replaced. Meanwhile don’t use the fire! It’s the chimney that is in the dining room and next week the electrician should be back to fix an electric panel heater to the wall so not a disaster but I did sigh at the thought of yet another expensive job needing to be done. That chimney was lined about 10 years ago so I think I was conned and a cheap Chinese replacement was installed so the chimney sweep who is also the smithy who installed my new log fire earlier this year but not the tattered one, said he will get me one made in Germany. After all that I took the dogs on to the moors thinking there was only a hint of rain in the air but five minutes into our walk we were all getting soaked as the wind picked up and torrential rain fell. I stopped off at the farm shop on the way home and dripped my way round their narrow aisles for a couple of items so when I got home it was already past 1pm so too late to cook a meal... back to a snack and hot evening meal!
    Not much achieved after that although my neighbour popped in having just got home from a family visit to Portsmouth and gave me a bag of goodies from an Ikea store they stopped off at so I have Swedish meatballs, smoked salmon, a tin of cinnamon oat biscuits and a couple of jars of marinated herring in dill sauce to enjoy.
    This afternoon George and Betty were each given a small Yak Snack which is a grain and gluten free Himalayan bar made from 100% milk. It’s somehow processed into a solid chunk and George finally stopped chewing his about 8 o’clock but Betty didn’t collapse in a heap until about 5 minutes ago.

Lin, ignoring the lumpy bumpy walls I do find my bolt hole cosy and am considering hanging the curtains back up if I can attach the pole to a wooden batten that’s been left above the window. Could be a job for tomorrow! The log fire throws out so much heat no blankets required but I do often light a scented candle.
    A beautiful cat in your latest jigsaw. It’s got that inscrutable expression so many cats display. Not so sure about today’s teapot. It could be one Anne and I would have seen being sold in past street markets where as fast as one was sold with a lot of noise and flare another would appear from under the counter, in other words mass produced!

Bob, like you I try to make a plate of food look appetising but find I can get more creative with salads whereas I have a tendency to tip steamed veggies straight out of the colander and where they land they stay! I’ll have to see how creative I can be with the Swedish meatballs once I break open the pack.

I’m working back 5 hours and thinking it might be about now you’re enjoying a bowl of chunky chips Anne. A dash of sea salt and malt vinegar?

Patsy, I heard on the radio yesterday that another modern job related ailment is something called video conference fatigue because people find having to concentrate is tiring! I have to say I laughed out loud... what is society coming to? Completely different to the eye strain and repetitive strain injuries your son mentioned.

Sandy, I daren’t go back a page but remember you are enjoying your Ninja. I might yet be tempted. Have fun at the Halloween party... looking forward to photos.

Must get to bed.
    Jackie

PS a heartwarming story you might have missed.
    https://youtu.be/JS0q6AW35OM
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 17,131 Member
    :)Jake decided to risk his life to get his hair cut. He went to the stylist recommended by a good friend and was happy with how she cut his hair and happy with all the cleanliness protocols in the shop. He is very happy. I just keep letting my hair grow longer and trim the bangs when they get below my eyebrows.

:) It has been terribly windy all day. Bessie will walk in the wind for only a few minutes but Shasha is happy to go on her usual long walks.

:) We eat a big planned meal together about 11 AM. The rest of the day is "find it and fix it". Today Jake fixed roasted veggies in the NInja Foodi for lunch.

:) All I've done for Halloween was to dance some dances to Halloween theme music this morning. Jake sent an electronic Halloween card to his daughter and her family.

<3 Barbie

• Gawanne35
    SANDY, English chips are the same cut but much wider and big and solid like the English who in my day deplored skinny, wimpy, so called French fries.

Ha JACKIE I remember those street markets well and weren't they FUN! "Spivs" selling "china", happy days!
    Oh no! Another problem. It's like falling dominoes, one thing followed by another! Sympathy sent and I'm learning, - don't change a thing in this old house!

Tomorrow our electricity bill goes up yet again so I'm busy doing the weekly wash today. Not saving much but a few more cents added to the rapidly depleting bank account from teeth extractions and other expenses.

Happy Halloween everybody from the wicked witch of the north Anne and her black cat, whoops, black DOG, (sorry Beanie) JillyBean. 🙃🐶👻🎃🕷
  • pinkperil
    Did I say it never rains but it pours? Well last night we had yet another storm crash in off the Atlantic and at some point the ladder that had been left against the back wall got blown sideways until it hit the guttering down pipe. You can guess... wall brackets pulled out so the pipe separated halfway up at a join allowing water to pour out but luckily straight into a drain. My neighbour caught me climbing the ladder to put things back and suggested we go to the local builders yard Monday and buy new sections and she’s right so only a temporary fix done. Absolutely right Anne, it’s not necessarily wise to tinker with these old buildings!

The pooches have been walked to the next village and round a field but time going on and lots to do so I’m afraid it’s another cooked evening meal for me. Oven cooked chicken with rice and steamed veggies so healthy at least.

I’m cross that total lockdown is being discussed when we have few cases of Covid in Cornwall but guess Boris has run out of ideas.

Must get on so wishing everyone a safe and healthy Saturday.
    Jackie
  • linder4866
    edited October 2020
    Hello. I have been busy for a while. My tiny grocery order arrived shortly after 6am. A bit earlier than the expected 7 - 9 am scheduled time. 😂🤣😂 Laundry is chugging away, I mixed up a container of cold brew tea, watered my little plants and sorted through the remainder of the mail from yesterday’s delivery.

Jackie, oh no! Not another problem. Ack. Houses can be quite unpredictable but storms don’t help a bit. My home is much younger than yours (and Anne’s) but it is also poorly constructed so I have many issues here as well. So far just trying to skate by without having repair personnel in my house. May not get by with that much longer. 🤞🏻 You are a busy person so perhaps evening meals will just have to work for you. Oh, I went back to that photo from yesterday, surprised I found it, and it said the teapot was made in about 1880. Staffordshire? Place or pottery name? How long will it take to get the new chimney liner and can it be replaced in the winter?

Anne, the electricity rate is going up? I don’t think they really tell us anything. Suddenly the rate is just different or there is a surcharge or something. A surprise, not a great one of course. Well dear wicked and your tiny black dog, have a wonderful day.

Patsy, I did not see your post yesterday. Bad MFP! I am sorry for your house breakdowns as well. I am glad John is surviving all of this. Cauliflower crust with veggie toppings sounds wonderful to me! I hope it was a delicious meal.

Sandy, your air fries look good. No comment on wings. I like air fries and hash browns from my Breville oven (on air fry setting). These appliances are very handy and produce some healthier options.

Barbie, I hope Jake stays well after his trip for a haircut. Enjoy the rest of your day.

My favorite Bond actor gone now. Well as I look back, the films probably couldn’t have been made these days as they were so politically incorrect. But I enjoyed them and I very much loved reading the original Ian Fleming books.

w4hwuv5aprha.jpeg

A morning teapot.

“ ... Ringtons centenary edition teapot, made in England but by whom I am unsure, their 2003 coronation anniversary teapot was made by Wade......”

92k7lefthk7d.jpeg

rqrbksfyin19.jpeg

Lin

• Gawanne35
    JACKIE! I'm appalled at your bad house luck! Please, please don't climb ladders! I don't want the house bad luck transferring to you! I'm doing my very best to behave myself so I know it's hard not to fix these problems ourselves but I'm learning that the Bean is more important to me than a wonky old house! I'm pretty sure I could fix the curtain pole bracket but If I end up in the virus riddled hospital having a bad hip fixed who knows what would happen to Bean. I'm pretty sure she'd miss me, and that goes for George, Betty and Brady. Please take care!
    A very concerned Anne.
  • Gawanne35
    Just heard another icon has died. Sean Connery - THE James Bond. I liked him, Anne.
  • linder4866
    Well, a slow day in store for me now. I was lazy and instead of going downstairs and getting my little step stool, I climbed up on a chair. My knee buckled and I took a tumble. Swollen big toe, unhappy ribs and hip and a good whack on the back of the head. Luckily my house is carpeted. Moving the ice pack from the toe to the ribs. Darn it. Glad I have most of my planned chores finished.

Next time, I will go for the step stool.

Good grief.

Lin
  • pinkperil
    The best James Bond of all to my mind. He did turn into a rather crusty old Scotsman grumbling about Scotland’s independence while living in the Bahamas enjoying tax breaks but I’ll forgive him that!

Anne, I was only up 4 rungs of the ladder and very careful not to push my luck. The funny thing is, when Debbie was putting the ladders up the wall to take the old paint off she asked if I minded walking under it and I laughed as I’m not superstitious but then I’ve had a wall collapse, a shredded chimney liner and now the broken down pipe. Better the cottage is taking the bad luck, not me! 🙃😉

Lin, before Robbie the smithy discovered the liner was shot he was telling me his partner wants to move to Scotland so their property and business is up for sale. I asked if he could recommend anyone to re-line the chimney thinking he would have moved away but he said he would do the job as he didn’t think they would go before next year and anyway he likes me so wants to help. I did laugh and said I’d give him a hug except one of us could be contagious!! It’s sad that the work a smithy does is a dying craft so it’s going to be difficult to sell the forge as a going concern even though he is always busy making wrought iron gates, fences and weathervanes for customers. I’m sure if he can find the time it will be done before Christmas.
    Staffordshire both a place and potteries once upon a time before cheap imports put them out of business... the sort that was sold in the markets!

Rugby match 2nd half started so back to watch.
    Jackie
  • Gawanne35
    And now LINS taken a tumble! Oh LIN! My knee keeps buckling today for some unknown reason and I had to be careful climbing the basement steps with the washing. Bean wants to go out but I don't want to be mishap No. 3. Safer to ignore her and stick my nose in my book.
    Could Halloween have anything to do with this, but I'm not superstitious- so far!
    Lin stay safe!
    Anne.
  • jwubben6600
    jwubben6600 Posts: 1,677 Member
    Good morning all! It is a foggy, boggy day here. And I have to say, we also continue the sad tales of aging house problems. We have drainage issues so we will limp along until a solution is identified. I keep saying to myself...every problem has a solution. Sometimes an unhappy solution but.....

Anne, I have the same concerns about our dear Katie and any disaster that sees either John or Me in the hospital. Yet we must try to solder on, there is no choice in our case. Very little in the way of hired help around here. Which is odd because all we hear is how people are losing their jobs etc. etc. Rant alert!

Oh dear! James Bond gone? He had a charming accent and his flirty smile caused many a female heart to flutter, no matter his age or loss of hair. He will be missed as a legendary entertainment icon.

The pizza was, how can I say this...HORRIBLE! ☠️ It was really not a good mix and we gave up and ate a cheese sandwich. Sounded like a good idea at the time.

I know how terrible it feels when our homes don’t feel like they are providing shelter any more. It makes me want to think about other options. I know John would be devastated. So we must find more help for him. He liked the young plumber who put in the hot water heater. Allowing workmen
    to do work around here is difficult for John, but he will reluctantly agree. compromises will allow us to stay here. We see some major drainage issues coming soon. Embrace the change that is inevitable.

Must clean the bathroom, cook something with pumpkin for Halloween, find some funny Halloween music. Like the Monster Mash. Remember that little ditty?
    Booooooooooooooooooooo😱👻👻👻👻👻👻👻👻👻👻
    Patsy☘️

• Gawanne35
    PATSY, would it work if you explained that plumbers, gardeners, cleaning ladies and things that go bump in the night NEED to earn a living and rather than John growing old he would be wanted and helping the young earn much needed cash? He could supervise and impart wisdom and knowledge.
    I've got to hunt out Barrie and see if he will clear my drive this coming winter. I always did it myself until I hit eighty. Think I still might be able to do it on a good day, but I've promised my sons I will behave myself!
    Yes, we pet owners must stay healthy for our beloved furries. Katie would be heartbroken if you two ended up in the hospital - just like my Jill.
    I expect to have drainage issues soon from the old oak tree who likes to wriggle her roots into our outlet pipe. We managed the summer with no more floods but I suspect, come spring and new growth she will be exploring cracks again.

Did you dear friends like me think the senior years would be peaceful, sitting in our rockers, doing our knitting, reading our books, reminiscing with old friends in perfect houses? HAaaaaaaaa!

Anne 💜💜💜💜💜💜
  • Sandydur
    Sandydur Posts: 9,266 Member
    qo7ef5tbx20c.jpg
    Happy Halloween! Full Moon! Blue Moon!! Enjoy!!

Oh no Lin, are you sure you shouldn't go to urgent care?? I hope you didn't break anything.
    I have used chairs many times and we should know better but the main thing is that you are okay.

Jackie, oh no to you as well. You have had three things go wrong so maybe that is the end of it!! I am glad you won't freeze and you have another fireplace in your living room correct??
    I watched the video and although I had to put on closed caption because of heavy accents it certainly was heartwarming story. Thank you for sharing.

Anne, I am glad you are listening to your body and not taking chances with your buckling knee. Just be careful with Jilly today, she is all black and could be confused for a black cat.
    Here in the states most people keep their black cats indoors on Halloween because people can be cruel.

Barbie, I am sure Jake was very careful and most places are being extremely careful. Our State is back to no indoor dining and small crowds. People are refusing to abide by the governor's order and keeping their restaurants open. I see a big surge of Covid cases and deaths because people are selfish.

I am so happy the sun is out for the kiddos to have their Halloween egg hunt. Enjoy your day and be careful of things that go bump in the night!!!

Sandy
    One Day at a Time
  • NikonPal
    NikonPal Posts: 1,346 Member
    Different kind of Halloween. Watched TV and didn’t go to gym until 9am. Just ate lunch: Jumbo shrimp, Fresh baked haddock, herb & garlic riced cauliflower and squash.

dgmw46g0h104.jpg

um4fzu2wxmnx.jpg

Normally – it would be Halloween pizza celebration etc at daughters house with grandkids – but with the virus this year we will be doing a backyard viewing of their costumes (we never know what they will be and they enjoy the surprise). Then we plan a 1 hour pit stop to hear an outdoor band at ice cream stand (same as last time where $ goes to missionary work). We had planned to get a couple Hazmet suits to wear for the kids, but wasn’t worth the expense under the circumstances.

qmc27wtdzm7o.jpg

Patsy – Enjoy your pizza. I have made my own and bought frozen. In both cases not half bad, but I warn friends not to expect it to be as good as whatever their fav reg pizza is. But I do like it.

Lin – Sounds like you have been very productive and have some work-in-progress as well. Good going! As for a part time job…thanks. In my youth I was never that picky, just happy to have a job and get a paycheck etc… Started as a kid mowing lawns, delivering newspapers etc and had 3 jobs at once while in high school (need cash to spend on girls LOL).

I am a HUGE Sean Connery and Bond fan. My all time fav Connery movie is THE MAN WHO WOULD BE KING…. And he was my absolute favorite Bond… no one can compete when you take into consideration when it was made. Hate when people tear apart old movies etc. using todays political correctness etc. My goodness people need to recognize times and just take things as a part of history to understand, but not erase. Heck, Blazing Saddles would never be made today either, most likely. Glad he had a long life. I also thought that movie was the best for Michael Caine as well.

Anne – Congrats on the perfect Halloween home. Hope the goblins and dead didn’t haunt you too much last night.

Sandy - Crispy wings are the only kind I like. YUM. Love your Halloween pic. I am going to keep a Halloween egg hunt in mind for next year. Sounds like fun!

Gosh – it’s 3pm and I still need to shower etc. TTYL Bob