Senior Golden Sneakers

Replies

• NikonPal
    NikonPal Posts: 1,346 Member
    A quick hello/goodbye – Haven’t even been to the gym yet! Got up at 4am and went back to bed for a minute (I thought).

Latest start in recent memory! Then I figured it out… so I will leave you with a meme I just concocted for now. LOL

cufw5bwi7mtx.jpg

NEED COFFEE! Back later. Have a great day! Bob
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,878 Member
    :'( Sorry to hear of Buzz and her struggles.
  • Gawanne35
    Gawanne35 Posts: 2,670 Member
    edited November 2020
    My mom was born on a Friday, November 13th. Way back when. 1904. Anne.
  • Sandydur
    Sandydur Posts: 9,002 Member
    Happy Friday! :) Actually Buzz mentioned you all by name so she hasn't forgotten you. Her problem was just saying she didn't know who she was so not sure what she meant by that but she was in good spirits. I asked if she was walking and she said only to the bathroom. Feel free to call her, she would probably be happy to hear from any of you.

My laundry is started and it is a cold day today so I think I will be staying in and staying warm.
    I have a return from Amazon but asked Bryanna if she would take it to Kohl's for me. I had a problem with a bathroom sink drain plug, the water took forever to go down the drain. I tried to get it out to clean by searching youtube but it wouldn't come out and I dented the little silver cap. I ordered two new ones that were pop up and had little bucket type things to catch debri but they were too big. I asked for a refund and they gave it to me and told me to keep the plugs. Tried another size but again too big so this time I have to return. I ordered one more but a different type. I got down under my sink and took a pipe out that was disgusting and cleaned the other pipe from the drain as best as I could. I tried to get the plug out again and low and behold it came out. So now I just ordered a plastic type with the silver top and hope it works, it is coming today. Funny how when you live alone you can figure out DYI projects. I might get as good as Jackie. lol

I am not really superstitious when it comes to Friday the 13th. but my mom had other's that I still laugh at. Like if your left palm itches you will get money, if it is the right you will have to pay out money. No shoes on the table and never eat standing up because it is bad luck.
    Gosh, I still miss my mom and she died in 1992.

Have a great day and let's all pray Buzz makes a comeback because she is one tough cookie.

Sandy
    One Day at a Time
  • linder4866
    linder4866 Posts: 11,047 Member
    edited November 2020
    I did try to call Buzz this morning. Phone rolls to voice mail just like each of the past 5 days. But I am glad you were able to speak to her Sandy. She knows we are thinking of her. ❤️❤️

I need to work on cards the remainder of the day. No more phone calls! Need to start addressing the Thanksgiving cards and also need to assemble the 12 cards I started that are taking up work space.

Wishing everyone well. It is so wonderful to have friends even if we cannot meet in person. Thanks!

So here is an antique teapot. No additional information given. Oriental style.

jdabs22ciwyb.jpeg

A fun puzzle from last evening.

8bb5qybrmhw1.jpeg

Lin 🙋🏼‍♀️
    ❤️❤️

• jwubben6600
    jwubben6600 Posts: 1,677 Member
    Hello everyone! It is so nice to be able to chat with you again. I have become so attached to you all. It truly is a sort of family for me. It is interesting, John always wants to know how everyone is doing and what adventures everyone is involved in. He considers himself a member of the golden sneakers. I am his designated reporter and messenger.

The weather is awful here. Cold, windy and lots of rain. Katie ran out for a quick squirt out in the back yard and then said he has no interest in being in that horrible weather. No argument from me!

Not sure why things went crazy for me at MFP. It has happened a couple of times before, each time I have to change passwords and sort of rejoin. So HELLO dear ones! I am back, just like that preverbal bad Penny.

I have tried calling Buzz a couple of times recently. No answer or voice mail. I think the meds are causing her some issues. I remember my brother had problems coming out of a mental fog because of the meds. Alarming for us, but if she doesn’t seem anxious or in pain, we can feel comforted by that .

Try as I might, I am superstitious about Friday the 13th. ☠️I always try talking to myself about how dumb that is. But I am not listening. 😱All day long I will be watching for disaster. So far...so good!
    Patsy☘️
  • NikonPal
    It’s late in the day… so I’ll just share today’s somewhat different lunch and skip the blow-by-blow events …. Jean and I were gone from the house a lot today – sometimes together – sometimes not.

FRIDAY LUNCH (332 cal.) Haddock, Fried, 3.4 oz Organic Spring Mix, peppers, cucumber, red onion, pimentos, riced cauliflower, lemon, Reduced sugar ketchup, balsamic spray and radish.

tdb5q340cqfw.jpg

Lin – Loved your bit of nostalgia. I think the older we get, the more frequently we think of, appreciate and reflect upon bittersweet times – I like to think mostly of the “sweet”. Perhaps that is why I always liked those words of William Wordsworth “Though nothing can bring back the hour Of splendour in the grass, of glory in the flower, We will grieve not, rather find Strength in what remains behind; In the primal sympathy Which having been must ever be…” I can also relate to your educational pursuits. I married as a teen etc. and didn’t complete my BS until my 30’s and MS in Health Services Management in my early 40’s. So enjoy those memories! I agree on not passing along my cat story – not sure what I would have done had I known it would be more than a few months – all and all – no regrets.

Jackie – You have a clear understanding of the cat situation: “It takes years of patience and sometimes they never learn to trust so then it’s a matter of being content to feed and house the poor creature without any expectations.” It took a long time and it was a different pace for the relationship to grow. She is a cute cat and never been a problem. The older she gets the closer she has become. Hope you got that sunshine and how wonderful your neighbor offered to help. We love all our neighbors, but once lived in a neighborhood with “fake” people and I really don’t do “fake.” LOL.

Anne – Enjoyed reading about Tabitha and totally agree that in most cases it all works out in the end with most pets. I only had 1 bad experience when my daughter was “very” young. I agreed to take a dog from a casual acquaintance. I did all the duties (walking, feeding etc). Turned out the dog had a temper (biting, growling etc.) and just couldn’t have it in the house. Turned out the acquaintance failed to mention the dog had been abused by her boyfriend and seemed to have issues with males. Live and learn.

Sandy – Very sad about Buzz and very kind of you to reach out. So sad when dealing with people going thru rough times that impact memories and overall cognitive matters. By the ages of everyone here, I pretty sure we have all experienced it on one level or another. I try to do my best in those situations, knowing my turn will likely come if I live long enough. I know people in their 70’s already having problems and others in their late 80’s as sharp as at age 70.

Anne – Just read your last comment – it flows to exactly where I was headed in my response to Sandy. Gotta make the most of each day.

It’s 6pm and time to think of something for dinner… Enjoy the evening! Bob

• pinkperil
    pinkperil Posts: 5,072 Member
    Nearly midnight again so I won’t ramble in!
    Early fog lifted so I managed a load of washing before hanging it outside and walked on the moors with George, Betty and a few sheep.
    gasn8pb165ys.jpeg

On the way home I stopped off at the farm supply shop to stock up on pet food and once back changed into old jeans and fleece jacket, picked up a paintbrush and joined my neighbour painting the back wall. Six hours later we had finished and my fingers are crossed the paint dries because we are expecting yet another storm overnight.

When I spoke to Buzz a while ago she told me the strong painkillers were often leaving her feeling sleepy and confused so I’m hoping that is what’s affecting her at the moment although it’s a shame if she didn’t get to move to more independent living as she wanted. I’ll keep trying to speak to her over the weekend... thanks for confirming her phone numbers Sandy.

So good to see you back with us Patsy. Let’s hope the gremlins have run away. Luckily the date hadn’t registered with me as I worked outside today and yes, walked under the ladders several times in spite of the 3 “events” that occurred after doing so a couple of weeks ago. I’m not superstitious either! 😳

Bob, The isolation that comes with lockdown has certainly fogged my brain at times and I’m aware how quickly things can deteriorate if not regularly exercised. I like to kid myself I’ve many more years before any real adverse affects; trouble is the years are whizzing by at such a rate old age is rushing towards me. Perhaps if I dodge at the right moment it will miss and pass me by. Meanwhile I will follow Anne’s outlook and enjoy every precious moment.
    I meant to ask Bob if your meal of so few calories earlier in the week, less than 300 I seem to remember, was a fasting day? It looked so wholesome it encouraged me to think about returning to a once a week fast.

Loved the musicians in your latest jigsaw Lin! A heavy design in teapots though that I’d imagine would be awkward to pour from once topped up with tea.

Time for bed and I’ll check to see if the rain has arrived yet as I let George and Betty out for a last sniff about.
    Jackie 😴
  • pinkperil
    Awoke to wild weather that’s so windy even George didn’t want to venture into the garden. Betty knows she has to go before I give her breakfast so the thought of food got her out for a very quick visit. My neighbours have just offered to take George for some fresh air so he’s gone with them while I catch up with some small indoor jobs.
    Friday 13th caught up with Debs my neighbour after finishing our epic wall painting. She drove to the local store, forgot she was in her partner’s car and didn’t put the handbrake on because it’s automatic in hers. Put one leg out then the car began to roll back and she was thrown out before it hit a Mercedes! The other driver couldn’t have been nicer and was more concerned for her so they’ve agreed to deal with damage without involving an insurance company but I can tell she’s very shaken as well as having a nasty scrape on one leg and lots of bruising. She’s now waiting for 2nd and 3rd unlucky events!

Gosh, lunchtime already so I’ll heat up some summer soup from the freezer that is a mystery flavour at the moment!

Happy Saturday and stay safe.
    Jackie
  • Gawanne35
    edited November 2020
    We've reached freezing point this morning. 0 C. And tomorrow a high wind warning. I've just text Mark to put his garden furniture in storage!

Today it's bright and sunny and Mikes coming over for lunch. Thought I'd go for a British meal today to line our stomachs against the chill. Fried onions, bangers and mash, gravy and loads of veggies.
    All the various groups here are in trouble sort of. The Mennonites for carrying on as normal, church etc, the Hindus for enjoying the festival of light, and the rest of us for being just plain cussed. Which means of cause possible lockdown imminent.

And guess what. A message just flashed that JACKIE has arrived so i will sign out and see if her paint dried,

Wear your heaviest shoes tomorrow if out in the wind and it's in your area!

Anne.

Oh my JACKIE, poor Debs!! Your wind comment makes me think Bean better have her leash on tomorrow in the garden in case she gets blown away! We got through the 13th okay, but with a mother and an ex both born on Friday 13th. One in November 1904 and t'other in February 1936 I'm hoping any bad luck departed with them! Not that I wouldn't risk it if I could have Mom back!

Well must away and peel the potatoes, clean the veg etc.

Happy November 14th all. My Mother in Laws birthday. I miss her. Very fond of her.
    Anne.💨 🍂🍁💨🍂
  • linder4866
    Good morning. No great weather news here. Overcast, cold and rain/drizzle in store today. At some point next week, some lovely weather is expected. 🤞🏻🤞🏻

Back to working on the cards, all the pieces are stacked up. I put together one this morning and it was less than perfect which annoys me. Taking a break but must get back to it while my eyes are fairly fresh.
    👀

Here’s some Noritake China posted on a collector page.

ehfao9blx6us.jpeg

Anne, enjoy your nice warming lunch today. No one really knows what to do. I am sorry for our leaders trying to help people survive and thrive. Massive job.

Jackie, I am very sorry to hear of that frightening accident. At first I thought you were going to say she fell out of the car and was hit by another one. Oh, I am sure she is very shaken up. I hope she can heal up quickly. Accidents take some of your confidence, at least for a while. And the sheep done seem too interested in you in that photo. I guess that is good! Lovely place to walk.

Bob, so nice that you caught your own haddock. 🤣😂🤣😂🤣

Patsy, very glad you are back. I hope you made it through Friday the 13th without incident. I never really give it much thought. Just another day but I posted a photo yesterday with many black cats. A friend said that was too much for her. It frightened her on Friday the 13th to see black cats. Oh my. Well, I left the photo where it was. She didn’t need to see it more than once. 🙈

Sandy, movie tonight?

Waving to Diane, Jeri, Barbie, Buzz and the rest of the Sneakers.

Wishing everyone well.

Lin🙋🏼‍♀️
    ❤️❤️

• Gawanne35
    edited November 2020
    Tell her black cats are good luck in Britain LIN. Which tells your friend it's all superstition doesn't it, lol.
    My Becky was an all black cat and she made my life very happy. She was the one thrown in the icy river in a sack with three other kittens who didn't survive. Some boys told the police and they hauled the sack out of the river and took her to my vets. My dog Jenny had just died and the vet asked if I would take her and so I ended up with the gentlest of all my lovely cats. Loved her dearly.
    Anne.
  • pinkperil
    The weather deteriorated even more while George was being walked so he came home soaked through but very happy. He’s had a rub down with a thick towel and eaten lunch and I was about to finally make the crab apple chutney when a friend I’ve known all my life phoned for a chat. Her husband had been in hospital until recently with Pneumonia and Sepsis and is very lucky to still be with us. Several weeks in intensive care with no visitors allowed due to Covid so a fraught time for the family but going in the right direction now.

No Anne, not all the paint dried overnight and although that wall is sheltered from the worst of the weather the air is so damp I’m thinking it could take days. Fine so long as no one touches it or worse, leans against it. Bangers and mash! Perfect for a cold day so I’m sure you and Mike will enjoy yourselves plus of course little Jilly who I’m guessing might get to eat a tiny piece of sausage!

You’re so funny at times Lin and I did laugh about the black cats and your friends response. As Anne says, they are considered lucky here but for all that shelters often struggle to rehome them due to their colour. My dear black fluffy Boris was the most amazing and intelligent cat. Gone are the days George would show the sheep too much attention so over time most have got to know he and Betty don’t chase.

At that point I heard cats squabbling outside my kitchen door so went to investigate and found Brady with his tail fluffed up and a neighbour’s cat indulging in a loud discussion. Brady’s now in and I’ve put the kettle on for a cuppa. Gorgeous tea set Lin and so delicate. Wouldn’t last long with me doing the washing up! 🤭

Jackie
  • Sandydur
    Sandydur Posts: 9,002 Member
    edited November 2020
    Happy Saturday!! :) Chilly day here with rain expected. We are still having movie night so I hope it doesn't storm. Tonight's dinner is Mexican which I really don't care for but I ordered hard shell tacos with ground beef, lettuce and tomato. I asked Sue to ask them to leave off the cheese as I am not doing dairy. I hope it sits well.

Jackie, what a horrible experience for your friend. I am sure she is in pain but hopefully she will make a speedy recovery. I am glad the Mercedes guy was helpful and not angry, I remember an accident I had when much younger and the guy screamed at me and made me cry. Another guy who witnessed the accident told him to back off and was a comfort to me.
    BTW I still don't think it was my fault, I was making a left turn looked both ways and this guy came from no where speeding and hit me. He was angry because it was a vintage car but it was still an accident. Cats fighting is a terrible noise as is when a raccoon gets a critter. FYI, I called Buzz around 8pm my time which would be 9pm her time so she was probably lying in bed.

Anne, omg, your story broke my heart, who could be so cruel as to toss kittens in a bag into a river?? I am so happy one was saved and lived with you and got all the love needed.
    Have fun with Mike and enjoy your bangers which I assume is sausage from Jackie's post.

Lin, our Governor is taking all kind of flack for wanting a 30 day shutdown in several counties, mine being one of them. I would rather shut down and stay home then have this virus continue to kill so many people. The numbers are astounding. You reminded me I have to get my Thanksgiving cards ready for the mail this week. Thank you.

Bob, love your graphics once again. Yes, I hate dementia and/or Alzheimer's it is just so sad.
    My favorite uncle had it and didn't know me which broke my heart. He was always like a father figure to me, since my own wasn't very fatherly.

Patsy, I am so glad you are back and hope you don't get cut off ever again. We would miss your wonderful remarks and whimsical ideas.

Have a great day, I do not know where this day is going but it is zooming.

Sandy
    One Day at a Time

• pinkperil
    A sunshine and showers Sunday so it was a case of trying to time walkies between the wet stuff but that meant a shortened stroll. I did get the pooches up on to the moors for about half an hour but after not walking at all yesterday I will have a lot of catching up to do in the week.
    My crab apple chutney is finally simmering on the stove and as usual I’ve taken a recipe and added my own mix so instead of sultanas I included sweetened dried cranberries... we shall see if it’s edible because I haven’t diced the crab apples as they are so small.

Sandy, that was a horrible experience for you with that man screaming at you. You must have been terrified. I’m not suggesting it makes a difference but the Mercedes Debs rolled back into was owned by a woman who apparently said it’s only a car when Debs kept apologising. My only confrontation with a woman driver who hit me wasn’t so civilised! Apparently it was all my fault that she had crossed into my lane without looking!!
    With the 5 hour difference I’m restricted to a smaller window to call Buzz but in the past phoning about 3pm used to find her. If she is on stronger medication she may well sleep daytime now but I’ll keep trying.

Lunchtime for me so I’ll heat the remainder of the soup I found in the freezer that turned out to be courgette and mint then if it’s not too cold will plant spring bulbs in pots for small Christmas gifts. Kitchen windows are steaming up which suggests the temperature is falling.

Stay safe and warm friends.
    Jackie 🥰
  • Gawanne35
    Horrible day outside! A stay inside day! I ordered for the very first time three books on Amazon. Quite a lot of questions to fill in before getting access. That was yesterday afternoon. Just found a message saying one of the books will arrive today, the other two later in the week. Wow! No delivery charge being a new customer and actually cheaper for the three than trekking to the bookstore. No wonder businesses are going out of business. Naturally I'm pleased to have something to read on such a horrible, wet, windy day.
    Back later unless I've got engrossed in a book!
    Anne the bookworm. 🐛🐶❤️
  • linder4866
    Hello. A good day to stay indoors.

And here’s a Sadler teapot for today.

9lxpk1l0o9la.jpeg

Another teapot I would probably break. 🙃

Back later.

Lin 🙋🏼‍♀️
    ❤️❤️
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,878 Member
    :) I read books from my library or from Paperback Swap (an online book swapping site). Right now I am on the waiting list at the library for two newly published books that would otherwise cost me almost thirty dollars each. I am both patient and frugal with books. Not buying books also cuts down on the "stuff" I own.

:) We have wind and rain here, too. Yesterday Jake taught me how to use his new battery operated leaf blower and between us we cleaned up a great deal in our yards and blew off debris from our neighbours' driveways, as well. I hope last night's wind didn't blow it all back again.

<3 Barbie
  • Gawanne35
    Yes....... about wind and leaves. I'm so glad the monster vacuum took most of ours away, because the remaining leaves are now fluttering down.
    Books! I don't drink, I don't smoke, books are my secret vice. I love rooms full of shelves and real books. No matter if I never read them again, I just enjoy the cosy look and feel of books and cosy armchairs on cold blustery winter days which I also love IF I'm looking at the rain a-beating and the wind a-howling from inside! Just lacking a roaring fire alas. I think this maybe comes from a comfort feeling in early childhood. Safe in front of the fire with Peter Pan and roast chestnuts if VERY lucky.

Which makes me think how very lucky we are today! No struggling to the stores! Groceries delivered exactly as you want them and a veritable Aladdin's cave awaiting with the touch of a button now and again! Now if we all stay safely home reading books we will be out of this lockdown which starts tomorrow in no time at all.

Anne 🐛📚🔥

• NikonPal
    Yesterday was very busy, but had some morning fun at gym. It was their 2 yr anniv since opening. I was given a free Tee and had pic taken as entering building (wearing hat /glasses). Discovered I made the top-10 list for check-in’s (423) and wouldn’t have been more but they weren’t set up for Medicare “Silver Sneakers” program the 1st 5 months. I mocked myself with a post to Jean from the movie “The Jerk.”

wlh2041e9gju.jpg

Jackie – What a great first pic of the day for me to see…. It screams “Today is Sunday” with the sheep and backdrop. Six hours of painting…you are a hard worker!

As for Buzz those strong pain killers can do a number and at the same time be a blessing depending upon circumstances. I agree on the “independence.” Always believed in giving elderly as much as possible. My dad never would have done well in any kind of restriction and often said if we found hime dead mowing the steep back hill on our property – he died happy. Jean’s uncle is 89…lives alone…has multiple medical issues but would never want to be controlled in any way. I could go on a rant – because I have seen too many “young people” try to dominate the final years of old parents when those same people only want to live their lives to the fullest. Agree with your thoughts on lockdown and time passing quickly – with a focus on enjoying “every precious moment.”

With regards to my meals and calories – 90% of “every” main meal (lunch/dinner) I eat is under 300 calories. I use a food scale for everything. Amazing the volume of food you can eat depending upon selection (I enjoy the challenge of creating highly nutritious meals that satiate and assure no hunger pains. Any snacks I have are also nutritious (almonds, apple, cheese etc.). Even vegetables can be so different when looking at carbs/calories etc. Of course my big "treat" is Rebel Ice Cream - a low carb, healthy fat and zero sugar chocolate or cherry-chip indulgence.

w19jcnh4o8qj.jpg

That doesn’t mean I don’t eat - I have “fasted” every day since 5/2019 and keep a 16/8 low carb intermittent fasting lifestyle. It is simply not eating for 16 hrs and NOT starvation by a long shot. I abstain eating for 16 hrs (8hrs of which is simple bedtime) and have an 8hr window of eating (12:30pm – 8:30pm usually). I focus primarily on nutrition and avoid processed carbs. I am never hungry. I’ll stop here before I start to blather on.

Anne – It was also very cold this morning when I left for the gym… a balmy 36 degrees and there are warnings of high winds. Sorry for all you are going thru with various groups. For me it all boils down to the risk groups that we know exist and the protections needed for those in the “high risk” category vs. some healthy 25 yr old. We have always been highly “hygienic” in our behaviors, so that wasn’t much of a change.

Lin – Glad you are back at the cards. Love the Noritake China ( we either have or had some Noritake – now I have to double check later and will post a pic back to you). The easiest haddock for me to catch come from a pond called “The Fish Cove” LOL.

Sandy – I think we all are experiencing that chilly, off-and-on gloomy/sunny/rainy weather pattern. I miss our deck and grilling LOL. LOVE Mexican food. Italian is my #1 – but Mexican is #2 for sure.

Dementia and/or Alzheimer’s is certainly horrible and sorry you had to go thru all of that. No matter who or when death can be so heartbreaking. A personal friend wrote yesterday that Friday the 13th “came with a lot of heartbreak as Hospice is now involved with…” her husband’s care, but that he was in good spirits and all they wanted was “prayers for a comfortable peaceful transition to the waiting arms of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.” My friend is 68 and her husband is in his early 70’s. This all happened with the past year. Fortunately, they own and board horses so the virus didn’t impact their main enjoyment. -- OK enough of "downer" talk LOL.

Time to get cleaned-up. Heading out for a bit with Jean. Like Anne – I am hoping for some good reading time this afternoon or early evening.

Best to all – Bob