Senior Golden Sneakers

Replies

• tlp8rb
    tlp8rb Posts: 556 Member
    Another week has flown past, another month, year, decade. Time goes so fast.

I see lots of familiar names in reading back a few weeks. Sandy, of course, but then we've remained Facebook friends since we first connected here. I see she shares things here never mentioned on Facebook and I understand.

I tipped the scale at 200 pounds the beginning of April and saw a picture of me walking in our yard (taken by our game camera) and was shocked. I knew I had gained weight again but didn't realize how much. This seems to be the only place that keeps me honest, so I am back. This morning my scale said 194.9 so I'm moving in the right direction. AND, I was able to comfortable wear some size 16W jeans a friend passed along. They are my favorite brand and I still have three pair hanging in my closet that are a size 12. I could wear them sone upon a time. If I can get down to 170, I will be wearing them again.

We've had way too much rain here in Missouri but have also had a few days in the 80s. I have both hummingbird and oriole feeders in the yard. I've seen an oriole twice in a week but the hummers are visiting daily. The bigger birds (Cardinals, Blue Jays, Red-winged Blackbirds, Yellow-bellied woodpeckers) are devouring my suet blocks. I have about a dozen still stashed away and when those are gone, the suet feeders are coming down. At $1.39 a block (I put out four a week), I'll soon be in the poor house.

Anyway... it is good to be back and I will do my best to check in here a couple of times a week.

Connie - Pomona Missouri US
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,904 Member
    <3:) f Hi Connie, I recognized you immediately and am glad to see you here again. I don't post often because my days are so similar that I feel like there is no new news. I gained some weight at the beginning of the pandemic due in part to the bread maker and Ninja Foodi that my husband bought and used to make too many entertaining meals and loaves of bread.

<3 Barbie
  • Sandydur
    Sandydur Posts: 9,025 Member
    Happy Monday! :) Welcome back Connie and join us on the pound a week topic to keep yourself honest.
    I am still here from 2009 and continue on the weight loss journey. I am holding my own at this point but wouldn't mind losing another few pounds.
    We discuss almost anything these days except politics, we all want to remain friends although I think most of us share the same views. I probably say too much but I trust these ladies and they are kind enough to listen to me. Be sure to share a picture of your gorgeous fur baby, these ladies are all animal lovers.
    I have no time to chat as I have to leave by 9:15 to pick up one friend to meet the other two friends.
    Wish me luck and I will try to check it. Enjoy your day.

Sandy
    One Day at a Time
  • jacAth3
    jacAth3 Posts: 1,682 Member
    Sandydur wrote: »
    Loving Call the Midwife!!

🥺😢 tissues at the ready!
  • jacAth3
    Disturbed sleep left me feeling jaded this morning so a slow start. I was dreaming I was trying to leave early from a job I was employed to do because I needed to get to hospital but when I left the building I was met with steep dangerous ramps and steps to clamber over and found myself lost. Gosh, a psychologist would have a field day with that!

I drove to the moors with George and Betty so we could walk in sunshine to the top and just as I was about to turn back saw a lady with her little chihuahua that I’ve often chatted to in the past, walking towards us. She drove a pink car that I always looked out for but it turns out she part exchanged it for a more modern vehicle, this one blue, so no wonder I missed her, although she told me she always waved if she drove past! We had a good natter comparing notes on where we had heard the cuckoo in the past week and occasional sightings of returning swallows so a pleasant stroll and we agreed we should meet for coffee one day. Oh-oh, coffee means cake!!

Yesterday’s painting jobs were finished so finally the pots and brushes are back in the garage but I have ordered a tin of pale Aqua colour to paint over the feature wall in the snug because I can’t get on with the mauve I chose after the builders left… looks too much like a boudoir!! The stoves were also cleaned out and their door glass cleaned so hopefully no more cold nights that require a log fire.

My weight seems to keep creeping up so I’m going to have to give myself one 500 calories fasting day a week which has worked in the past. Also, I hadn’t been walking as far this Winter because it was so wet and I know that doesn’t help.

Lovely to see old familiar faces back with us. I’m not on Facebook so rely on sneakers to keep me up to date.

A few clouds about but I’ll don a fleece jacket and get the rhubarb I brought back from the allotments planted.

Good luck Sandy but more important, have fun!
    Jackie
  • JillyBurg7
    JillyBurg7 Posts: 473 Member
    Hello Connie, we have evolved into a friendship group these days but the Pound a Week post is extremely useful in keeping me in check. Just Jackie, me and Sandy at the moment but do please join us on it.
    I've had to give up on the birds for now. The price of good seed is so expensive but also because the bird feeder was attracting the hawks after the feeding birds.
    Sunny here right now, but rain expected soon! I wanted to finish digging up the day lilies. Washing instead.
    Anne.
  • linder4866
    linder4866 Posts: 11,072 Member
    edited April 2022
    Hello everyone. A very cold, overcast and windy day. A freeze warning has been issued for tonight. It didn’t seem like a great day to go shopping for containers so maybe another warmer day.

I am crushing boxes again today. It is recycling pick-up week. Also starting to line up things for the annual paper shredding and used electronics drop-off at my credit union. That is coming up soon.

Sandy, hope you are enjoying your trip and that everyone is feeling well.

Jackie, aha, when someone gets a new car it throws you off noticing them. Glad you reconnected. Sorry for the nightmare. We won’t analyze it. Just glad it is over. Wahoo, some painting completed and aqua paint ordered. I hope it is exactly the shade you want. Did you notice Dan posted a note to check out the Etsy store, several new paintings were added. Do you think he is working full-time now as a croupier? The only tomato seedlings that are thriving in the little peat pellet things are the seeds I got from Ukraine along with the flower seeds last summer.

Anne, making progress on the veggie garden. Maybe MJ could find a packet of beet seeds to purchase for you? A little bit of clearing out the garden space at a time is just right by the way.

Barbie, we do not mind if your days are similar, it is always good to hear from you. ❤️

Connie, welcome back. Yes, we talk about everything as friends here, except as noted, politics. Looking forward to seeing you.

Hello to Diane and Joy.

Lin🙋🏼‍♀️
    ❤️❤️

l0d7ohluug6o.jpeg
  • JillyBurg7
    Well, we did get out in the garden, Jilly Bean and I, and we dug up a few more lilies. Then it rained but a little more is done of a marathon task. Mary Jo has found a packet of beet seeds in her enormous collection LIN. These lilies are well and truly rooted and I hope I can get rid of them before the warm weather arrives properly because we will be getting Lins weather as it sweeps across the country soon.
    So you can see BARBIE that not much is going on in my life these days. That is, I enjoy my life, but not exactly newsworthy.
    Your dream JACKIE is similar to one I often have. I'm
    trying to get home from a big city trip, but everywhere I turn I'm sort of trapped and I'm trying to climb up walls etc to see over and get my bearings but I can't find the road home. I'd rather not have a psychologist analyze me!
    ANNE
  • jwubben6600
    jwubben6600 Posts: 1,677 Member
    Cloudy and breezy today. I think I see some showers coming as well. We had a weird thing this morning…a lot of jets were flying in formation. It looked like they were doing some sort of performance. There was nothing going on to warrent a military jet performance. There is no big airport here on the coast. So what was all that about? Katie barked endlessly in her special alarm bark. My ears are still ringing.

I think this forum is a sort of diary/chat with friends/opinion/movie and book review. I certainly don’t lead an exciting life but I am a chatty person. I love to share my crazy thoughts. If allowed I might be sharing my political views and news. When our dear Buzz was still with us, she and I were the political bell ringers. However, there are many topics to share that are less Inflammatory. To that end, I stepped down off my soapbox.

Anne: your digging up of day lillies is interesting. I love mine and have been known to gather a big bunch to bring inside. I stopped when I discovered they are filled with very tiny little ants. Growing veggies is such a wonderful activity. John has no interest at all. I am not that great at gardening but I love flowers of all kinds. being outside activates your immune system. My gran used to say if you are very quiet and still, you can hear things growing. I think that may be true!

Jackie: there must be some universal fear in human beings. That dream or a similar one haunts my dreams as well. Aqua is a lovely calming color. Paired with your other color scheme, it will be stunning!

Ooooooops! Once again the dryer and laundry is calling me.
    Patsy☘️🌷🌷🌷🌷
  • JillyBurg7
    I haven't totally murdered the day lilies. They grow down the side of the house as well and quite a few houses have them in their front gardens. Its just that these in the back garden had spread so far and wide they were coming up in the lawn and killing all my other flowers. ANNE.
  • jacAth3
    It’s a beautiful sunny day so washed bedding was out to dry by 8am and we were on the moors before 9am. From a distance I recognised Heather walking Bella and the 2 Whippets she takes out occasionally, but they were too far away to call to. Bella looked very happy on an extended lead that allowed her to skip about.
    Once I had climbed to the top I found a large granite rock to sit on and enjoy the view while George and Betty ran in circles then we walked back to the car and home.
    jbo8yd89xaza.jpeg

More seeds have been sown in trays and the strawberry plants dug up from the allotment are now settled in their new bed. A collection of old plastic containers, bowls and leaky watering can are stacked ready for a trip to the tip but that probably won’t be until Thursday as I’ve a hospital appointment tomorrow to check for melanomas.

I agree that becoming lost dream is quite common and when it, or something similar, occurs I assume my life is perhaps not as in control as I like to think! Another one I used to get regularly was watching from the ground, a plane tumbling out of the sky that I knew was full of passengers but there nothing I could do to stop it crashing!

On a cheery note my Aqua paint has been delivered so I’m ready whenever the rainy weather returns! 😄
    Now I just need a new box of doggy poo bags to arrive as I’m getting dangerously low. It might require small freezer bags until they get here!

I was chatting with a friend on the phone earlier when Brady brought in a tiny field mouse so I quickly took my jacket off, threw it over the little creature and carried it outside to shake into bushes. My friend thought I was crazy but I told her it would be far worse to watch Brady play with it!

Anne, I have a similar problem as your Day lilies with Crocosmia that spreads everywhere. It was already well established when I moved in over 3 years ago so I will never clear it all; just do my best to lessen the clumps.

Lin, I will check Etsy to see what new pictures Veronica has painted. I did suggest she add the one she created in her art lesson so if she did, I’d better buy one!

I’m going to use my rechargeable grass edge trimmer to tidy a couple of areas while it remains warm.

Jackie 🥰
  • JillyBurg7
    Well, I've just had a shock and it may shock you young things as well with shades of things to come.
    I've been measuring my BP and if I'm doing it right I appear to have come down quite a bit. So, being of an enquiring [translate, nosy] mind I looked on the internet for what is a good reading for someone of my years. Apparently once you hit 85 you are considered 0LD-OLD! What! me! My Mom was old-old. She didn't think so. At 90 she would say "WHEN I get old". And then the bright young thing who wrote this geriatric article added fuel to the fire by saying that it had to be taken into account that the old-old are forever wetting their knickers or tottering off to the bathroom numerous times during the night which lowers their BP apparently.
    Pardon my English but..... the cheeky little s-d!!!!!
    So excuse me, but I laughed so hard at this article, I have to go to the bathroom!!!!!!!!
    ANNE.
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,904 Member
    :) I was up, as usual, at 4:15 AM and out with the dogs by 4:30. They did their business and wanted to chase the bunny that lives out in our big field. It is good exercise for me to hold tight to their leashes when they get so excited. Then we came in so I could make breakfast for the dogs and Bernie, the cat, and me. Each of us eats exactly the same breakfast every morning so the process requires a ritual but no thinking or decision making. I make sure that Bernie doesn't steal the dog food and then spend some time on computer tasks while I eat my own breakfast and take my two morning pills. I record my steps from yesterday on two walking sites--right now on one site, I'm walking the Appalachian Trail and on the other walking north to south on the east coast of Australia so I have a daily geography lesson. At 5:45 my friend. Sharron, arrived walk with the dogs and me. It is finally light early enough that we can go out without our flashlights. Bessie likes only walking in the big field behind the house so we wandered around there so we wandered around so the dogs could sniff and search for the bunny. Today Bessie was ready to go back into the house after about 30 minutes. Then Sharron, Sasha, and I could go for a walk around the neighborhood. At that early hour we saw no one except a puppy out in his yard without his person. This is a great time of year because the flowers and trees look different every day so there are great delights. I got home by 7:30 so I had time to talk to Jake for awhile before we got busy with our chores.

:) I go for my mammogram today. I don't like my routine interrupted and I don't like taking off any of my clothes. Otherwise, it will be no big deal.

<3 Barbie
  • Sandydur
    Sandydur Posts: 9,025 Member
    qcnzx3r403hl.jpeg
  • jacAth3
    Anne, when I worked in the community I met lots of young at heart seniors who referred to others as “the old girl” or “old man”. Yesterday on the radio, a news story referred to an elderly lady of 70 and you can imagine how I shouted at the presenter! It’s all a state of mind as far as I’m concerned because some can be “old” at 40. One of my neighbours just hit 50 and has the weakest bladder so if she joins me walking on the moors has to find a discreet gorse bush to hide in!! 😉

Jackie 🥰

• JillyBurg7
    Yes JACKIE, too true. We called the old at 40 "creaking gates".
    So.....
    Gather ye rosebuds whilst you may,
    Old time is still a-flying,
    And these same flowers that bloom today,
    Tomorrow will be.......rushing to the bathroom!

PS. Arn't gorse bushes thorny !!!!!!! ?

I would love to know how old the guy was though who called us "mature" ladies the old-old! LOL.

Anne.
  • linder4866
    Wow Sandy! Looking good!!

Lin
  • jwubben6600
    jwubben6600 Posts: 1,677 Member
    Oregon spring weather here…raining and hail in the sunshine! We used to say that meant that the devil was beating his wife! Horrible saying but growing up in a genuine misogynistic world, I didn’t even notice.

Yea folks we have entered a new era. John called a company to come clean the gutters and replace liners. For years he did this himself, standing for what seemed like hours on a tall ladder. To my mind, at some point it is okay to have some help with all the tasks of living on a rural property at our age. In truth, I am alone on this topic here. However the energy and strength reserves are not as they used to be.

Ordered a new front door mat from Amazon. It was a fun project. There were so many funny saying on front door mats. John liked the one that said “welcome! but that would depend on who you are and how long you stay!” There were dozens of funny but rather cheeky quotes on the mats. We close a plain cocoa mat, by the way.

It is Katie grooming time again. I am waiting for the delivery of the calming herbal chews for her. Grooming is always traumatic for her. It is also time to trim those toenails. Oh my!

We eat the same thing most mornings as well. Not what I would choose but what is quick, healthy and handy. Katie eats he same as well but is open for any and everything. John is our late sleeper. He is also the night owl, as you might guess. He fixes his own breakfast cereal and banana. Nothing very exciting here in the AM.
    Patsy☘️🦮🎶🎶🎶🎶🎶🎶🎶🎶🎶🎶🏋️‍♂️

• linder4866
    edited April 2022
    Hello Sneakers! It was a very cold morning with a freeze warning coming true. I had hoped it would warm up and I would be able to work outside for a while. It didn’t get too warm but the lawn service company that works at the townhouse complex near me was working there all day, stirring up dust, pollen and all sorts of great stuff. So I did not try to work outside, I am hoping tomorrow will be better. And the weather will apparently be quite good, the best of the week.

I did some paperwork today including finally finding a way to renew a membership without agreeing to an automatic renewal and I did not give up my credit card number. That was the best thing I think I did today. Oh, and I finally got my Fitbit syncing again with MFP. Removing the device and then adding it back took a while and about three tries to actually get it back on my MFP account. So yesterday apparently will never show up in my history but that’s okay.

I don’t eat the same thing every day but I would say I have just a few choices. Meals are no longer like a huge buffet of selections. Will breakfast be a hot cereal or yogurt with fruit? 😃

Patsy, I am very glad to hear that you are hiring some help for chores and maintenance.

Anne and Jackie, yes, old is not a particular age but the medical people put people into cohorts and those are usually based on age. Please don’t get into any fights over the issue. You are not old.

Barbie, I hope your trip for your mammogram went well and I am sorry about having to undress. That is something I prefer to avoid if possible. I don’t even like to have to drive to the hospital to have vials or blood drawn.

Be safe everyone. They said upwards of 60% of Americans have apparently had Covid now!

Lin🙋🏼‍♀️
    ❤️❤️

wi6a2c4ca33j.jpeg
  • jacAth3
    edited April 2022
    Good morning. That cold wind from the east has returned so layers required to walk the pooches. We stayed on local roads which were relatively quiet but when we got home a neighbour let her dogs out off lead that rushed at Betty and George. It was the first time I saw Betty react in an aggressive manner, no doubt because she was scared but when I allowed George’s extendable lead to run as long as needed, he soon saw them off! 😆
    I popped them into my car and drove to the pet store in town for supplies and am now going to shower, wash my hair and drive to the hospital for my strip search. This time I will wear loose clothing for a quicker turn around because I’m aware the doctors are rushed off their feet and tend to fidget if I’m slow pulling leggings on!

Our catkins are out everywhere so the pollen count is high and although I’m not normally a sneezer, lots of ah-tissues going on!

We’ve another Bank holiday coming up, this time May Day, so I will stop off on my way home to buy fresh produce so I don’t have to shop along with crowds of visitors at the weekend.

Good luck Anne with your GP visit. You’re definitely going in the right direction,

Patsy, I will never forget what a nightmare it was to groom George when first adopted so feel for you. I laughed with his groomer last Friday as we realised it’s taken 8 years to get him comfortable enough to stand still for most of the trimming. He still hates his face being touched!

Lin, breakfast for me rarely changes; just more porridge during winter months. Another pretty teapot that looks familiar to those my elderly relatives used. (Haha, I’m calling them elderly when they were probably a similar age to mine!)

A great photo Sandy. Are you winning? 😁

Have a safe day everyone.
    Jackie 🥰