Senior Golden Sneakers

Options

Replies

• Loveburg87
    Loveburg87 Posts: 452 Member
    edited January 2023
    Options
    SANDY have you enquired if they have a rental room/s at Babes rehab place for out of town visitors? I believe some facilities here have them, but not a hundred percent sure. Solve a lot of problem if so, although maybe not for the Neurologist, lol.

We’ve just had lunch, the short one and me. She’s gone for an afternoon nap and I’m wondering what to do now my soap opera days are apparently over. No doubt Mary Jo will breeze in like a ray of sunshine to liven the pair of us up. Otherwise maybe a bit of research on the internet. We shouldn’t get political on this post but I must say I’m horrified Mr Sunak is sending Challenger tanks to Ukraine! First, because it will expose how they are built and operate to a potential enemy but mainly because this horrifying war must end before we are all dragged into WW3. Sending weaponry to my aging mind just makes the situation worse and worse.

Sorry ladies,
    Anne. ❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️
  • jwubben6600
    jwubben6600 Posts: 1,677 Member
    Options
    Winter is certainly letting us know he isn’t leaving early around here! He is here for the long haul.
    It is cold dark and wet. Katie is totally bummed! It is miserable outside and no one will play ball with her. I have chores to do and John is clearing up a credit card tangle. They some how didn’t credit our account but cashed out check payment. Hummmmm!

We have a very funny family situation. Our grandson comes once a week to take the big trash cart out to the edge of our little road. He then comes back to bring it to our house and into the garage the next day. Our nearest neighbor is a longshoreman. He must stay ready to jump into his truck and meet the huge container ships as they pull into dock for unloading. He is dressed and ready for work at daybreak. As our grandson brings the trash cart back and forth, our neighbor always inquires about us and offers help when needed. Our grandson gets fussy because he feels this is his job and will provide any help to his grandparents! He is actually territorial about US! We are smoothing down his ruffled feathers because he is a sweetheart and we have a wonderful neighbor. So all is well. Just sort of. Funny situation.

Sandy: it is part of the human condition. We remember words that sting us but we often forget the kind words! It is something I deal with all the time. These are upsetting times for you right now and you are right, your are stressed and overly tired.I think you will feel much better once a routine is established concerning your visits to Babe and your other activities. We are thinking of you,

Jackie: that was great news…no poisons are used on the moors! I wish I could say the same about our area. I fear any dead bird or rodent could be poisoned and the cycle of poisonous animals would continue. We have a very bad policy concerning poisons and other chemicals in our soil and drinking water. It is shocking!

Anne: I heard a great talk on our public broadcast station on the newest info on brain health and exercise. Your walks are doing so much more for you than helping your weight loss. More important is what it does for your brain and other body parts…digestion, heart etc. even just 10 minutes a day!

Lin: yea! Saint Patrick’s day cards.
    Patsy☘️
  • linder4866
    linder4866 Posts: 11,078 Member
    edited January 2023
    Options
    Good evening. A long day of card making. I have enough finished to fill a small box to mail to charity on Tuesday. I have a card to finish to send to the young man in rehab and then maybe a break to read some books.

Patsy, sorry for the dreary weather. Poor Katie, no one to play with her. Very disturbing for a doggie with lots of energy. Speaking of chores, I need to start sorting out information for the dreaded yearly chore of Income Taxes. 🤦🏼‍♀️

Anne, did you have visitors this afternoon? I hope you have enjoyed your evening.

Sandy, people, oh my! I hope all is sorted out eventually and you are not driven to distraction!

Jackie, my gosh, the weather sounds frightful! I hope all was well during the evening and that you are having a good snooze now. Lovely picture. Of the birthday celebration.

Diane, are you still okay?

Barbie, thinking of you and Jake. I hope the weather is not running wild in your area.

Take care everyone.

Lin🙋🏼‍♀️
    ❤️❤️

Isn’t this cute?
    1ng81eqtrn75.jpeg

• Loveburg87
    edited January 2023
    Options
    Oh, I love the teapot LIN. First a teapot, then a milk jug, followed by a sugar bowl and to crown all a cup and saucer “hat”.

No visitors for us yesterday, but I sort of enjoyed a quiet reflective day. Went on the internet and learnt the little that is known about fungi. I know, I’m weird but I like fungi that grow on trees including my dying apple tree. I used to love to paint them. Apparently there are thousands and thousands of different species, 12,000+ alone in the UK. Wow. And many are not named yet.

Oh and I found out JACKIE that a new film is to be released. An eerie film set in Cornwall about your standing stones. “Enys Men” I believe it’s called and will be released around January 23rd I think.

Between an article on eerie things peculiar to the UK and fungi I forgot all about horrifying things going on in. the rest of our troubled planet.

SANDY, deep breath love. Your life is so changed it must feel overwhelming. There is one good thing about growing older, we can plead “oh at my age I simply feel I can’t cope with visitors, baby sitting, cooking copious Christmas dinners for family”, anything really that makes us break out in a cold sweat at the very thought. Older is not giving up, it’s a time to put our feet up (when we aren’t walking around the house which I’ve just done) and read articles on fungi, LOL, etc. A time for family who we’ve helped most of our lives to help us. Or repay as Michael puts it. Old age is hard to accept at first, but once accepted it can, with good health, be a very pleasant time indeed.

Anne.
  • Loveburg87
    Options
    If interested JACKIE and maybe LIN, try and find ENYS MEN, THE FILMS THAT FRIGHTEN US IN UNEXPLAINABLE WAYS. It’s a BBC article by Adam Scovell 3 days ago. I found it interesting anyway, weirdo that I am !

Anne.
  • Sandydur
    Sandydur Posts: 9,030 Member
    Options
    Happy Monday! :) I did sleep late again today, I am just so tired. It is a rainy, yucky day and a good day to stay home but I will be visiting Babe this afternoon, just moving slow. I returned a coat I bought after my visit yesterday and it has been years since I was in a mall. It was crowded and the second store I wanted to check seemed like miles away. It is not something I plan on doing again in the near future, I will continue to shop online.
    Since Bryanna is no longer available to clean my house I am having Cheryl's cleaning girl come here tomorrow to give me an estimate. I will start with once a month if reasonable and if necessary change it to twice a month. It is just too hard for me to vacuum and do too much bending besides hating to clean.
    I am going to my own doctor tomorrow morning. She had me keep a record of my blood pressure for the last month and I think I will end up on a pill.
    Wednesday and Friday I will be going to be at the kiddos for Max to get off his bus. Rob has to take Charlie for a covid shot Wednesday and a recheck of her tonsils on Friday.
    I will let Michele stay here but I am not looking forward to it, I am hoping she changes her trip to when he is home. One Day at a Time.

Anne, your advice is good but I would feel guilty if I didn't go visit Babe every day. It would be nice if Cheryl and/or Marisa would go to give me a break but there doesn't seem to be any mention of that.
    Maybe when Babe sees how awful the weather is outside he will tell me to stay home today.

By the way, if you have Netflix and want to see a good movie, watch Gone Dog. It was really good, but I love any movies about dogs.

It is almost time for lunch and I still haven't eaten breakfast. Have a good day ladies.

Sandy
    One Day at a Time

• jacAth3
    jacAth3 Posts: 1,686 Member
    Options
    Hello. Evening here and what I have noticed is the days are getting just a tiny bit longer so it wasn’t completely dark until close to 5pm. I had a leisurely start and added a hair wash and blow dry before taking George and Betty for a walk on the moors but first phoned friends Richard and Christine to check if they were home. It was a terrible connection with lots of crackling so I shouted that I would stop off on my way to collect a pile of old newspapers to line the hen house floor. I arrived to find a cup of coffee was waiting for me so, although I had t I tended to stop I spent 15 minutes chatting while Labrador Bonnie did her best to climb into my lap! She’s beautiful but extremely large so that turned into a funny moment with Richard telling her off. She isn’t trained to sit or walk to heel so no chance of her getting out of my lap! Our walk was cold and I could see snow was falling on Dartmoor in the next county, about 40 miles away but we kept our sunshine.
    The hens have been mucked out and there is a thick layer of shredded paper on top of the newspapers so the chooks will be cosy as temperatures fall.

I’m finding it easy to keep to healthy eating at the moment and am planning pan fried fish with rice and steamed veggies. I’ve also cut up plums I bought last week to stew with cinnamon so that will be dessert with Greek yogurt.

Anne, a few weeks ago I watched an interview with the writer of that Cornish movie and they showed exerts that looked quite spooky. I seem to remember he also filmed and directed it and previously won a British Academy award as well as awards in other European countries for a dramatic movie called Bait about the declining fishing industry in Cornwall.
    When I walked with Jill and Scruff she was fascinated by the variety of mushrooms and fungi we would see so we were always taking photos. I took this one last December to send on to her.
    0hod4oesuwlj.jpeg

Sandy, I unsubscribed Netflix last month because I was finding their content too dark and depressing whether it was a true life documentary or drama! No wonder you are tired but I know there’s nothing I can suggest to ease the pressure because you are a giver and there are others that will let you! Perhaps your doctor will be able to persuade you not to allow yourself to become exhausted. I do hope so. ❤️

Patsy, that so good of your neighbour to let you know he will help if necessary. It’s always good to have a fall back.

Lin, that’s a fabulous tea set and gave me a big smile. 😁. Keep an eye out for the 3rd Happy Valley series. I hadn’t realised so many years had passed since the last and this one is just as good. Call the Midwife is back too but I feel they are running out o new ideas.

Time to cook!
    Jackie 🥰
  • Sandydur
    Options
    Taking the day off from visiting Babe. The weather is horrible and I am just too tired.
    Sandy
  • linder4866
    edited January 2023
    Options
    Hello. We had rain overnight but it is not bad right now. Sun is playing hide and seek with us. Colder weather and perhaps a winter storm later in the week. Very odd weather.

I looked up the movie and watched the trailer and a bit of interview about it. OMG, I would be frightened to death! Not my kind of movie at all but then there is not one scary or odd movie that I will watch. A very long time ago I watched the TV series “Twin Peaks” and I had nightmares all the time.

I need to get the cardboard crushed as the recycling bin needs to go to the curb. I have cleaned out the magazine rack a bit and have a bag of paper to add to the recycling.

Sandy, I am glad you are staying home. You need to try to catch up a little bit on your rest. ❤️

Jackie, your chickens should be very appreciative of your wonderful attention to their well-being but I doubt they tell you that! Glad you got newspaper! Not many people around here get a newspaper so getting old newspapers is difficult. I do get a small farm related newspaper once a week so I do have a bit of newspaper to put down in the floor in the basement when ripening tomatoes for example. I will look for Happy Valley but unless PBS broadcasts it, I doubt I will see it. They have had Broadchurch on the schedule.

Anne, fungi? They are interesting but I always think of poison when I see thing sprouting on trees or popping up in the lawn. 🫣

Be safe everyone.

Lin🙋🏼‍♀️
    ❤️❤️

jwfrodqxivv8.jpeg

• jacAth3
    Options
    Sandydur wrote: »
    Taking the day off from visiting Babe. The weather is horrible and I am just too tired.
    Sandy

❤️❤️❤️❤️
  • Loveburg87
    Options
    SANDY, good girl taking a day off from hospital visits. ❤️❤️. Mention to your doctor please how exhausted you are with all the running about. It knocked the stuffing out of poor Maria I guess. We don’t want it happening to you.
    I have to go to the docs soon when Mark gets me an appointment. I am on BP half tablets but he said to go see him if my BP goes above 140. Well it has gone up but I honestly don’t want to go on a full strength pill. By the way I can’t have the cataract op until it’s down. What was I saying about advancing years earlier.?

Now I AM intrigued by that movie JACKIE and LIN. I hope we get to see it. It sounds more like a physcological eerie rather than something very cruel and graphic. Those I DON’T watch!

Anne.
  • Loveburg87
    edited January 2023
    Options
    Found the trailer. LIN maybe I’ll join you after all in giving it a miss and snuggle under the bed sheets with the Bean instead!.
    ANNE.

• Sandydur
    Options
    Anne my blood pressure was only under 130 two times last month. Stress is probably a factor.
  • Loveburg87
    Options
    Sandy, my doctor says 130 is perfectly normal for anyone of 80 or over, so it looks as if you won’t have to go on a pill. I’m sure stress in your case is the cause. Be sure to let your doctor know your life has really changed in the last two months or so. I hate taking the pill because they can cause kidney damage.
    Anne.
  • jacAth3
    edited January 2023
    Options
    It has been a sunny but cold day and I was surprised to see snow had settled in fields a couple of miles away but nothing at home. It’s nearly always the other way round but I read the city of Truro, that’s about 30 miles west, had 4” of the white stuff so of course everything stopped because we aren’t set up for it. I took George and Betty round the village because I knew it could be very cold on the moors. George woke me up about 4 am barking outside so had slipped through the cat flaps at some point. This normally means an upset tummy and without going into graphic detail, I saw signs during the walk but generally is fine in himself. I have spent time sorting more donated wood to be cut for kindling then cleared out guttering along the footpath at the rear of my cottage that had filled with leaves. My main meal today was made at lunchtime as I try to shake up my metabolism so only a snack tonight.

That’s a fascinating solar system teapot Lin. I wonder if it’s correct. I would never know because when I let the pooches into my garden late at night, Venus and the Big Dipper are the only things I recognise! I don’t buy newspapers anymore but my friends pick up a couple each day plus the weekly local rag so I always know where to go if I need.

Sandy, I do hope you are having a restful day and your doctor treats you kindly!

The fires are lit as the temperature outside tumbles.
    qb5jt6gjaytb.jpeg

I’m now going to step out into the freezing night to check the hens automatic door is working in the cold.
    Jackie 🥰
  • Sandydur
    Options
    Happy Tuesday! :) I think you misunderstood Anne, I only had a few days when my blood pressure was 130 or under. Most of the time is was higher and as high as 150/101. She is putting me on a low dose pill and recheck in six weeks. I also asked about her opinion on screening tests that you pay for out of pocket and she agrees they are fine but she ordered a cardia scan that insurance will pay and that will let me know if I have any type of blockages or plaques in my arteries. I prefer preventive tests rather than waiting until it is too late. Also ordered blood work to recheck my thyroid and kidneys since high blood pressure can affect your kidneys. I told her I want to live at least another ten years and she said she couldn't guarantee it but I have a good chance. Out of her mouth to God's ears.
    I hired a cleaning lady to clean my house twice a month. The monthly price was $45 more than if I have her twice a month so for the extra $40 I will have it done twice.
    I will be going to visit Babe after lunch but will leave before dark as it is a dreary day.

Stay well, stay safe and enjoy life.
    Sandy
    One Day at a Time

• Loveburg87
    Options
    Yes I did misunderstand SANDY. I’m going to the docs because my BP has been hitting 150/90. I’m to get blood work done as well before I go on a higher dose of pill because he is concerned about my kidneys. Me too!
    Anne.
  • linder4866
    edited January 2023
    Options
    Hello everyone. Quite a nerve-wracking night here. I woke up in the night hearing some odd noises and then someone started hammering on my doorbell. I am not going to open my door at 4:15 am unless my house is on fire. I did get a robe and slippers and quietly meandered around both floors of my house checking doors, windows, sniffing for odd smells and peeking out between some blinds. I could not get back to sleep for a long time. Actually, I finally could sleep after my normal time to get up.

I made a trip to the post office and the library and when I got home there were a number of neighbors out retrieving their trash and recycling bins. I did stop the neighbor from across the street asking if he heard anything or if his vehicle had been tampered with (I am sure heard car doors). Anyway, he said there was a lot about the overnight antics reported on our neighborhood Facebook group. I hadn’t seen anything when I checked early on.

Bottom line: A relatively young male was working his way through the neighborhood brandishing a fire extinguisher, searching cars, breaking out windshields of locked vehicles, going up on people’s porches and bashing the house trying to break the Ring doorbell cameras. The police were very quickly to arrest him. The report was he lives in an apartment complex not far from here and he was high on something. You could hear him on one of the posted Ring camera videos yelling, help me, someone help me. I guess he did not get into anyone’s house but a lot of people are rattled. Maybe we are not as safe as we think?

Good grief.

I went to pick up a grocery order and someone was in trouble. An emergency services van and a fire truck were parked on the street very nearby.

And finally, my car’s side mirror seems to be broken. Well, hopefully that is the end of unhappy news.

Jackie, I don’t think that teapot’s decorations are accurate. Just artful! I spent some time on YouTube watching videos about Happy Valley Season 3. I cannot believe that is James Norton! Oh my, what a change! Dishy Vicar is still my favorite role for him. I actually didn’t understand that the actor who played Neville Longbottom in the Harry Potter movie, was in Season 2 of Happy Valley. Is the actress who played Moaning Myrtle in the H.P. movies, still in Happy Valley? Looks like it will be an interesting and potentially violent Season 3. Oh, how wonderful your fire looks and Betty and George are taking full advantage of it aren’t they!

Sandy, I hope all of your dashing about slows down. Well, it may slow down soon if the winter storm comes your way. They keep changing their mind but we are on the edge of an area that may receive 6 to 9 inches starting Wednesday afternoon through Thursday sometime. Glad you made a deal for twice a month cleaning. Excellent!

Anne, we can find something else to watch right? There is a wide variety of YouTube videos for example.

Everyone, take care. Life is uncertain.

Lin🙋🏼‍♀️
    ❤️❤️

o3yiulxmv0de.jpeg

• barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,906 Member
    Options
    :) Jake went to the hospital yesterday to have the generator changed in his pacemaker/defibrillator. The procedure took about an hour but the hospital is over an hour's drive away via a bridge that can close for 30-60 minutes at any time for marine traffic. We left the house at 5, got to the hospital early but the procedure was delayed by more than 2 hours. I sat with Jake through the the prep and the long wait. While he was in surgery I ate my lunch and found a place to walk for an hour. Later, I got to drive home and be home before dark. Today he resting and icing the incision. The hospital and the medical and support staff were wonderful and took good care of us.

<3 Barbie
  • Loveburg87
    edited January 2023
    Options
    LIN, how frightening for you. Glad you suffered very little damage! ❤️

And lovely to read Jake is all done and the hospital staff took good care of you both. ❤️

Two happy and lovely puppies in front of a welcoming warm fire. Love the photo, JACKIE.

Anne.

Anyone out there not happy with their first name? I’ve never really felt like an Anne. I think Anne’s are either saintly or aristocratic looking. I’m neither. But what am I if not an Anne? Mmm.