Senior Golden Sneakers

Replies

• jacAth3
    jacAth3 Posts: 1,681 Member
    edited January 2023
    Hooray, the disappearing Daniel has arrived and is in the middle of replacing the vanity unit! It means I can’t fiddle with electrics to fit the fan heater but one more day won’t make much of a difference. George is watching and learning how the plumbing works while Betty snoozes by the radiator!

I finally managed to cancel my New York Times subscription by going into my PayPal account and stopping the monthly payments. I did receive a lot of emails from them that I ignored and they finally said goodbye so that’s a little more money for me to spend on more enjoyable pastimes.

Another cold evening about to commence so I’ve lit the main fire and put the kettle on for cups of tea.

Jackie 🥰
  • Sandydur
    Sandydur Posts: 9,024 Member
    Happy Friday! :) Busy day with sitting in the morning, then visiting Babe and then a charity bingo zoom event which I won a one card for the next event which I won't be going too but oh well.
    Just bought tickets to Disney on Ice for me, Lisa and Charlie. I love ice shows and especially since Charlie loves both Frozen and Encanto. It will be a girl's afternoon outing.
    Will be back in morning it is nearly 9pm and I would like to sit down and relax.

Sandy
    One Day at a Time
  • linder4866
    linder4866 Posts: 11,071 Member
    edited January 2023
    Good evening. I have been trying to track down a package that was supposedly delivered to me by FedEx on Tuesday. As far as I can tell they delivered it to someone in Fullerton CA who signed for it. Hello, I live in Iowa! I sent a message to them tonight. I wonder if I will hear from them next week?

Today I started working on 2 cards that were requested sort of last minute. A lady whose son is going to college out of state asked everyone in our church and all of her Facebook friends to send him a birthday card. Had to hurry up, it needs to be mailed tomorrow. I think she really wants this, I somewhat doubt her son will be impressed. 😄. I stopped making cards for him a few years ago because as a teenager, cards weren’t cool.

Also I found out that a couple who are fostering a baby decided to have a birthday party for him. It is a private event but I was surprised since they do not share his photo publicly and they do not talk about the situation. I believe they want to adopt the baby but there is some type of protocol to follow. Anyone, it is his first birthday so I have put a cupcake with one candle on the front of the card. Making progress.

The rest of my day was spent on those St. Patrick’s Day cards. Making progress.

Jackie, I am glad that the gent showed up to work on replacing the vanity! And I hope it worked out well.

Anne, who was at your house today? 😄

I am not seeing any current posts, so I will sign off now. MFP must be hiding them from me.

Be safe.

Lin🙋🏼‍♀️
    ❤️❤️

6ca0yh3mwpr5.jpeg
  • jacAth3
    A frosty start but now a beautiful day. The vanity unit didn’t quite work out because the back panel on the new one is in a different place and blocks incoming water pipes. By the time Daniel worked out what was needed, and that required a drive to a plumbing supplies store, it was 4.30pm so the plan is for him to buy what’s needed this morning then return to finish. I have another vanity unit in the bedroom loo thank goodness. Nearly midday and no sign of him but I’m getting used to his time keeping!

I’m hoping to spend a couple of hours in my garden and will pop back later. I rather like that chunky teapot/kettle LIN. Your friends certainly keep you busy with card making. 😁

Happy Saturday.
    Jackie 🥰
  • Loveburg87
    Loveburg87 Posts: 452 Member
    edited January 2023
    A quiet day really at home. I actually wrote and sent a thank you card to my old friend Wendy, but not a quiet day on the phone. A day of receptionists phoning to change the coming weeks appointments - doctors unavailable, scam calls, and one call I didn’t like at all. Tell me dear friends, how do you deal with this problem, if of course you have this problem. I have this one woman who phones me every so often to “see how I’m doing”. I know she means well, but she constantly criticizes my family because they “don’t do enough” !! Well, as you all know, I have a super family and however much I defend my family it seems to be to no avail. The same topic occurs over and over. I’m trying very hard not to yell and tell her to get lost, not at my age with the Pearly Gates in sight, but it is frustrating. I answer the phone because my answering machine is pretty useless for hearing and I also answer the phone because of receptionist’s cancelling appointments etc.
    She really is toxic and I don’t want to be rude. I suppose the best course is to just ignore her rattling on about her belief that because we looked after our young, they must look after us now they are grown. I did bleat nobody asks to be born, lol. Why me? Maybe she thinks I’m lonely living alone and doesn’t know what else to talk about? Maybe SHE is lonely, who knows! I met her a few times socially in the past and she’s just retired, so maybe I should grin and bear it because she probably IS lonely.

Sorry to go on so, but a peaceful solution would be appreciated. Maybe make a cuppa and resign myself to the odd “really,” and make an excuse every so often like I need to go to the bathroom. This I HAVE done.

Anne.
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,902 Member
    :)Anne, In general I have cleared out all the toxic people in my life but the one exception was my cousin who in the years I talked to her went from cranky old woman in her own apartment to lonely confused old woman in a nursing home. In the last few years of her life I called her nearly every day and saw it as a kindness toward someone who needed it . Reframing it as what could I do for her instead of what could I do for me, helped. It also helped that I talked to her first on a cordless phone while staying busy with my chores, and later on a cell phone during my morning walk. I just listened and didn't defend or debate.

<3 Barbie
  • Loveburg87
    Thanks BARBIE. I’m trying the listening and not defending or debating approach. My lady has a big family - 4 adult kids, but has problems with her children’s spouses. She is the controlling type. I had no problems until she retired.
    Anne.
  • Sandydur
    Happy Saturday! :) Doing a couple of loads of laundry before our family zoom call and going to visit Babe. My son is coming to put together 4 dining room chairs I bought since Babe broke one of my chairs.
    I like the new ones better and hope they look good with my table.
    Cheryl invited me out tonight but I declined, not ready for social gatherings with her yet. I like to go to 4:30 mass on Saturday and then chill out at home.

Anne, my blood pressure today was 121/76 so the pills are working and I am happy. I have voice on my phone that tells me who is calling before I answer so I can pick and choose who I talk too. I never pick up numbers I don't recognize as I feel if it's important that will leave a message.

Barbie, you work your program well, I am still learning.

Jackie, why is there always a snag when we are trying to improve something? I hope it all works out and expect to see pictures of the finished project.

Lin, you reminded me that when I sold that phone on EBay and got swindled by the buyer I filed a complaint. I forgot all about it since they kept saying the returned phone was delivered which it was not.
    To my surprise months later Ebay informed me that they were refunding all my money since they found out the buyer was a fraud. Sometimes good things happen when you least expect them. No snow here yet, they say maybe tomorrow.

Hello to Patsy, Jeri and Diane and whoever checks our posts. Have a good day everyone.

Sandy
    One Day at a Time
  • jacAth3
    edited January 2023
    I’ve settled in front of the fire in my dining room with a cup of tea. Daniel messaged he would be over after lunch and did arrive. Meanwhile I was washing all the windows, frames and sills in the garden room after the sun showed up every spec of dirt and with the outer door open, soon felt quite cold. He’s made a wonderful job of hiding the problems, first by creating a tiled plinth under the base to disguise the fact the new unit was slightly smaller and exposed a gap in the floor tiles then he cut into the wall tiles at the back to push the pipes into and out of the way. One photo for Sandy!
    lok8er15f6fu.jpeg

Anne, a different situation but someone I worked with for a few years and occasionally met for lunch always had opinions I didn’t want to hear about everyone so did my best to steer the conversation away although did wonder what was said about me! When I retired she tended to suggest during phone calls what I should not be doing and who I should have nothing to do with, including family so I stopped calling her. In the past few weeks I received several emails from her address with the message please send me your phone number which I assumed was a scam so ignored then last week she phoned 3 times while I was walking the dogs so I didn’t answer, then on my landline when I got home. I was on my hands and knees on the kitchen floor preparing a wall to be painted so wasn’t best pleased so sounded short when I picked up and was immediately told off for not answering when I was on the moors! I wasn’t rude but monosyllabic until she paused then wished her happy new year and said I was busy, which I was! I sensed I won’t be hearing from her again but will let you know if I’m wrong! Controlling people rely on compliant responses and although it goes against my nature, as it would yours, there are times I feel a need to push back.

Sandy, there was a story on our news recently about someone purchasing a phone on Amazon and when he opened the package found a pack of dog treats in it but because he had signed but not checked it in front of the courier they wouldn’t refund him. A tv consumer programme took up his cause then other people with a similar experience contacted them and because it was always dog treats it was assumed someone working at the warehouse swapped the contents. Naturally, Amazon didn’t like the publicity so immediately refunded everyone so the message was, if you buy something expensive open in front of the courier!

Time to cook a meal and because I’m still warming up, I might cook pasta so there goes tomorrow’s weigh in!

Hello to everyone still to arrive.
    Jackie 🥰
  • Loveburg87
    Thanks Barbie, SANDY and JACKIE for tips on putting controllers in their place. Lots of tips for me to try out. My problem is I don’t go far these days, so I’m a sitting duck and I can’t plead sitting on the John ALL of the time. Lol.
    HAPPY NEW YEAR OF THE RABBIT starting tomorrow. I’m a pig (as the lose a pound a week post shows) and it’s supposed to be a good year for little piggies. I hope so after last year!!
  • linder4866
    linder4866 Posts: 11,071 Member
    edited January 2023
    Good afternoon. We woke to cold temperatures and fog that froze to cold surfaces. I have seen some new snowflakes as well. I drove to the post office and mailed the card and a response from an auditor checking on my credit union. It is an annual thing and no problem as far as I am concerned. Let’s make sure the books are accurate! I have a stack of bills to tend to and some 1099s to review. All such fun things to do. 👀

Anne, I am glad everyone has suggestions on how to handle the annoying calls. I do receive a number of calls from friends and acquaintances who are having problems and want to talk. But they aren’t usually telling me what is wrong with my life. Okay, one lady does that from time to time but I finally did get sharpish with her one time telling her I am content alone and have no compulsion to find people to be with each day (she does). Snap, end of that. Maybe you can find a good closing the door on that topic line to use. Otherwise, Barbie’s solution sounds like the best if you can do it. ❤️❤️

Jackie, aha, love the new vanity. It looks like he did a very nice job on the changeover. Yes! A happy ending.

Sandy, I wondered if you were going to order a new chair but aha, even better a new set of 4! I hope you like them when they are assembled and in place. And my missing package shows in their records that it was delivered to the wrong address and the name of the recipient was not mine. But we will see. I will file a complaint with my credit card company if the company doesn’t fix this. They chose FedEx to deliver to me, as far as ai am concerned they still owe me my merchandise. But I will take a refund if the item is no longer available. We will see!

Barbie, it was kind of you to call someone almost every day who irritated you. Way to hold it at a distance. You helped to make the end of her days better. ❤️

Be safe everyone. Need to scoot along.

Lin🙋🏼‍♀️
    ❤️❤️

hhklgqi275u6.jpeg

• jwubben6600
    jwubben6600 Posts: 1,677 Member
    Hello dear sneakers; we have sunshine and blue but chilly Skies. That’s okay! Like singer from the 60s, John Denver, used to sing….sunshine on my shoulders makes me happy.

Cleaning the dungeon and I had a fun creative idea. I watch movies and TV series all the time in the evening. As a funny family project, I think we all should have a funny Valentine project of a writing a screenplay about a missing mailed Valentine. We can tape record our thoughts and I will transcribe them. It can’t be any worse than most of the movies these days. And what a hoot!

As you can see, I am in charge of entertainment for these family get togethers.

Barbie, Anne and Etc….good ideas on toxic phone calls. I used to get phone calls. Now I rarely answer the phone unless it is family or some number I recognize. The toxic person in my life is the wife of our departed musician. She is like so many less self reflective people. She does that transference thing. She transfers her own issues onto me. Her problems with her family are the same with me and my family. So not true! I usually say something like, oh I am glad to hear you are well. I unfortunately have a project in the progress so I can’t chat. We are fine here. Must run! Stay well and safe!…..
    Patsy☘️

• Loveburg87
    edited January 2023
    Very quiet day yesterday with Michael working and Mary Jo and Mark driving to a super restaurant in wine country. I once always went with them but the times they are a changing now I’ve got my little pal and I’m a bit doddery on the footsies.
    Loved all your comments and realize it’s really a case of live and let live.

Things should liven up today with family popping in. Mike and I are having lasagne for lunch. He’s off on a week long training course starting Monday. He worked six full days last week to help with the course absence.

Your friends son did a lovely job JACKIE.

So must hop along (seeing it’s the year of the bunny.)
    Anne.🐇🐇🐇🐇🐇
  • jacAth3
    1ta4qcercn0e.jpeg

A grey, cold day but after a leisurely start I took the dogs on a hike across the moors. George raced about, loving the cold air and Betty had fun too. I stopped at the local farm shop for a couple of items, added a pack of ham and some Cornish blue cheese and we are now home while I sip coffee and think about making carrot and orange soup to use up some spares. I’ll never use that word again without thinking of the other spare and his Elizabeth Arden cream!

I’ll pop in again later.
    Jackie 🥰
  • Loveburg87
    edited January 2023
    No Michael after all, he’s gone back to bed with a sore throat. I’ll cook the lasagna regardless and only eat a little bit, promise!

What spare and his Elizabeth Arden Cream? JACKIE. Guess that bit of news didn’t reach us out here.

Anne.
  • jacAth3
    You might wish you hadn’t asked Anne! This from a recent magazine article. 🥴

If you somehow missed this internet-breaking news (... I'm jealous of your algorithm), allow me to explain. According to a passage in his new memoir, Spare, Prince Harry returned home from a trip to the Arctic with a frostbitten "todger"—which is British for "penis," apparently—and a friend suggested he use the Eight Hour Cream to treat it. He was already familiar with the product because his late mother, Princess Diana, used to use it on her lips (Queen Elizabeth and Kate Middleton are also reportedly fans). And after going off on a very uncomfortable Freudian tangent (he says the smell made him feel like this mother was "right there in the room" before he slathered the stuff on his nether regions, a sentiment that makes my skin crawl every time I read it), he revealed that it really did help with his situation. Go figure!

Jackie
  • Sandydur
    Happy Sunday! :) We have had a little snow with more to follow so I hope it doesn't get too bad or I won't be driving to visit Babe. He had a bad day yesterday when they got him up to walk with a walker and I followed with a wheel chair. He got so dizzy he almost fell but I had the chair right by him and another tech jumped up to help the one helping Babe. He said everything went black so he was ready to pass out.
    It is so hard to treat him with this auto immune disease I am beginning to have doubts he will ever be able to come home. He also had a chest xray that showed he still has pneumonia so they put him on an antibiotic. It seems there is always something hindering his recovery.
    I am doing a couple of loads of laundry since I know his nephew is going to visit around noon so in no hurry.
    My son put together my new dining room chairs and I just love them.
    vulcewp6vwfw.jpg

Jackie, you have to admit it is a little funny about Harry and the cream. It made me chuckle.
    Love your new vanity, he did a great job.

Anne, sometimes quiet days are wonderful don't you think? I miss just staying home and doing nothing.

Patsy, you are very creative and make fun things for your family.

Lin, I do hope they find your package, it wasn't bought from EBay was it?

I slept in again today and time is sure moving fast, time to eat some breakfast. Have a good day all.
    Sandy
    One Day at a Time
  • Loveburg87
    edited January 2023
    Oh dear, poor Harry. I knew he had problems but didnt know his solution! Did he borrow his grannies or his sister in laws jar I wonder.?
    Well he was better off than that poor soul in the states who’s wife went after him with a carving knife!
    I’m glad I read that JACKIE, AFTER I’d eaten a quarter of the lasagne!
    It’s about to snow I believe which adds to the imagination.
    LOL
    Anne.
    Just spotted you above me Sandy. Your new chairs are very nice.

Just been on the phone with Mike who’s now got an upset stomach from eating Mexican he thinks which his bosses brought into work as a treat on Saturday. Hope he makes his course tomorrow. We predict the war in the Ukraine will soon be over and then the rebuilding begins AND where’s the money coming from for that with the world in recession! Russia will move now whilst the ground is still frozen. They won’t want to get bogged down with an April thaw. What a horrible mess.
    Anne (again.)
  • jacAth3
    edited January 2023
    I’m watching a tv programme about how to live to 100 and the presenter is in a town in a beautiful area of Japan. Moving and keeping mobile is their secret according to one gentleman but also working in the fields well into their eighties. Lots of vegetables in the diet help us live a lot longer too and it all adds up to lower blood pressure and less risk of dementia.

I see Buzz Aldrin just got married on his 93rd birthday!

I’m afraid we in Britain have been saturated with Harry’s truth that actually isn’t true but certainly some stories are what we call TMI! It seems his mother pops up in all sorts of weird and wonderful situations but apparently sales of the Elizabeth Arden cream have skyrocketed since his book came out! 😆

Your chairs look perfect with your table Sandy and comfortable so a great choice.
    It sounds as if it’s going to be a long haul for Babe to get himself home with you and hopefully clearing his pneumonia will be a start.

Anne, I can’t see the man who insisted on the invasion losing face by retreating so something will have to happen to him first! Then there’s the war crimes to be dealt with and an insistence by the West that Russia pays for the damage they’ve inflicted on a sovereign country. Their Baltic and Scandinavian neighbours will never trust them again either and Europe needs to get some economic stability back so I fear it’s going to take years.

Scrambled eggs this evening so much lighter than last night’s meal. I might even indulge in a yogurt pot!
    Jackie 🥰
  • Loveburg87
    Sadly JACKIE I think Ukraine will be defeated. If so this barbaric slaughter of young men on both sides and the poor civilian population will at least cease. I hope I’m wrong, but I expect things to really heat up soon before the spring thaw. Horrible. Again, hope I’m wrong.
    Anne.