Senior Golden Sneakers

Replies

• jacAth3
    jacAth3 Posts: 1,684 Member
    We’ve enjoyed another bright day with lots of sunshine and temperature about 6C. George’s groomer was booked for a visit this afternoon so I decided to only walk round the block first thing so that when we home I only had to brush a few collected bits off his tummy. I managed an hour of housework before carrying the vacuum cleaner and other items out to my car to hoover and clean the interior. So much dirt and grit gets carried in after our walks until I reach a point I can’t stand to look at it! The seat covers are back on and floors tidy but that won’t last long! George was well behaved during his grooming session until the last 10 minutes when he decided to wriggle about so I massaged his shoulders while his face was trimmed.
    I’ve just let Betty into the garden and viewed the full moon amongst twinkling stars. It’s going to be a cold night but the log burner is lit in the snug so we are cosy.
    Last night the final episode of Happy Valley was amazing and at one point I was wanting to hide but saw it through to a brilliant finale.

Sandy, we’ll done Babe for getting himself through a difficult episode but just as important, well done you! I do hope you will now have time for yourself to recoup some energy.

Anne, yesterday I planted 3 small trays of seeds, sweet pepper from last year’s crop, some large blue poppies and rare wild Salvia that are on the endangered list so my thoughts were also of the coming Spring. Annoyingly, my neighbours lit a Smokey bonfire just after midday so it wasn’t a pleasure to be outside!
    The BBC series Winter Walks has moved on to Spring Walks and we are again in the Yorkshire Dales, currently in a field of wheat!… next stop Healy!

Lin, a few years ago that cottage style pottery was collectible but not so much today. Yesterday’s pot was wonderfully large so no one would go without!

Patsy, I can’t tell you how happy I feel to read you are receiving help from a neighbour and also that Damon might soon be living closer to you and John. I know you will be feeling energised to get on with tasks you can manage and hopefully John’s cataract procedures will soon have him feeling so much better.

My sore throat has eased and I’m just left with sniffles so feet are up as I sip tea next to Betty while George and Betty snooze on the spare bed. It’s lovely to relax.
    Jackie 🥰
  • jwubben6600
    jwubben6600 Posts: 1,677 Member
    A sort of mixed kind of day. Some high thin clouds but chilly. It looks like a few showers are possible. Tomorrow John has an early echocardiogram. I am sure he will end up with a diagnosis of heart failure. Our doc has strongly hinted at that possibility. It can be managed to a degree but at our age, we really don’t like to hear that diagnosis, actually at any age!

Feeling a bit upended today. My world has been rattled. We will persevere just like Sandy and Babe. However, in truth, I worried all night and consequently I am low energy and exhausted. I even became worried about Katie. If we could not care for her, who would? She isn’t an easy dog. She is smart and yet so fearful of many things. John isn’t fearful but he also isn’t easy. His OCD makes medical issues even more difficult. Can you see that I need a nap and I need an attitude adjustment immediately? Without a doubt!

• jwubben6600
    Ooooooops forgot to sign that little note of crazy worry. Need coffee or a snuggle with a warm blanket…
    Patsy☘️
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,905 Member
    17hl6jbb97fv.png
  • Loveburg87
    Loveburg87 Posts: 452 Member
    We are sitting on the sofa having just made out our grocery order. Bean is snuggled up and I’ve ordered her “good morning” vitamin treat along with the broccoli, Brussels sprouts etc. I have to get my weekly order tomorrow because I’ll be at the feared docs on Thursday morning.

PATSY, you’ve got the February blues. Hey, you will still be around for Katie when you reach my lofty age and I’m not going anyway else if I can help it. Jilly will be seven around Valentine’s Day and I hope I can annoy everyone for another seven years!

Talking of which an unexpected treat last evening. Mark arrived with Derek and Bev to put Derek’s winter tires in the rapidly filling up garage, and it’s a big garage! My wee collection of garden tools and garbage bins is to one side and the rest is Marks tools and bench, logs for the basement emergency stove, old planters, the.Ms discarded but beautiful garden furniture which I intend pinching this summer, lawn mowers, snow shovels, etc etc well you get the picture. The Bean was over the moon at the unexpected company and pats. I am trying to emulate the Bean, so little makes her one happy little dog.

SANDY, I hope Babe makes a speedy recovery, good news from you! JACKIEs throat is on the mend and crossed fingers that LINS sinus are gone, gone, gone. BARBIE, love the doggie quote, Jilly sure warms my soul.

Well must away,
    ANNE.
  • jacAth3
    A mild day with lots of sunshine but because my back was aching when I got up, probably from all the bending to clean my car interior, I didn’t walk until about 10am. Not a soul to be seen anywhere but then I parked at a place I don’t often visit because it looked peaceful.
    c0efd7ya0olz.jpeg
    There were lots of zoomies then George couldn’t resist rolling in fox poo, no doubt to wipe away the beautifully scented spray he received after yesterday’s groom! I dropped them home then drove to the next town for grocery shopping but now that’s been put away and I’ve had a bacon and brown HP Sauce sandwich clouds have rolled in so I will need something warm on to do some pruning.
    A group working with my GP Practice has written a letter booking a telephone consultation for a targeted lung health check (their words, not mine!). It’s all about preventative medicine aimed at people aged 55 to 74 so I just got in there and if after the chat, it’s felt I should receive a lung CT scan, one will be booked. With all the walking I do I’m sure mine are healthy and I’m not aware of problems but will go along with the process for now.
    Patsy, sometimes, knowing what we are dealing with is the better option and I’m convinced, keeps us going a lot longer than would have been the case a few years ago so hold on tight and hopefully John’s health check won’t be scary.
    Yesterday I had a similar conversation with George’s groomer about my concerns for him if something happened to me. Betty would slot into any home but George has many issues I’ve come to recognise over the years that would get him into trouble. Even one day in kennels would put him back to the disturbed pooch I adopted, growling and biting out of fear. We must ensure, along with Anne, that we look after ourselves and don’t tempt providence!

Barbie, That’s a true comment about our dogs warming our souls and I would like to add cats to that because even my crazy, controlling Brady has his moments!

Hello Lin and other Sneakers popping in.
    Gosh, I’d better get on with something, at least toss some corn into the hens.

Jackie 🥰
  • Sandydur
    Sandydur Posts: 9,028 Member
    edited February 2023
    Happy Tuesday! Babe kind of had a bad night with oxygen so not a good nights sleep. His daughter will sleep here tonight and I will take her to airport tomorrow morning. I think she is cancelling her flight back to a later date since Babe is not critical any longer.
    I am hoping I don’t have to sleep here
    anymore since he is better. They are still trying yo get him stronger and lower his oxygen before sending to rehab.
    It is a one day at a time situation.
    The best thing here is the doggie visits, they are so cute!
    crv8s7k95yzd.jpeg

ig7w90uwtxjk.jpeg

More are coming today and tomorrow.

Have a good day
    Sandy
    One Day at a Time
  • jwubben6600
    On a day that was to be dry and warmer…it isn’t! But tomorrow should be better. It is our yearly physicals day. John had his echocardiogram this morning. Our sweet daughter showed up early at the hospital to keep us company and cheer us on. She ended up giving a handmade iPhone holster to a lady also getting a echocardiogram. She had fallen on her cell phone and couldn’t reach it to call for help. So our daughter, Andrea, said you need one of these. And took off hers and handed it to her. So thoughtful!

Now our son Damon is coming from Portland to be with us for the physicals. He wants to be there for his dad. John has memory problems and looses words when trying to articulate concerns. I sort of act as a prompter for him. It eases his anxiety when he is talking. Damon can do that when he is with the doctor in the exam room. It is difficult because John was a dynamic speaker and writer. Now he asks me to spell for him and I write emails for him because he can’t. But he is still with us. He can understand most of the conversations. He even helps with household tasks. He is just missing some of the cognitive skills that he used to have. Tough times bring the family together.

I know for a fact that animals have strong nursing talents. That is why they do such wonderful things for people who are depressed and unwell. When we feel bad, Katie is very affectionate and attentive.

So it is almost Jilly’s birthday! I know Anne will have something special for her. 7 years old! She is in her prime! Katie is now middle aged. She naps more and understands everything. Sort of scary how much these animals understand and try to communicate with us. It seems we are all animal lovers here on sneakers. I admit, if someone doesn’t like animals, I regard them as mentally unfit! That’s just my opinion, I know!
    Patsy☘️🌨
  • linder4866
    linder4866 Posts: 11,076 Member
    edited February 2023
    Good evening. Today was a day to drift from one conversation to another and I forgot to call back the heating and cooling people—I have to schedule my spring air conditioner service call already. Since I was busy all day, I will call them tomorrow and will probably be lucky to get an appointment in June.

Patsy, it would be lovely if Damon does find a house near you. Best wishes at your physicals tomorrow. ❤️❤️.

Sandy, Have a safe trip taking Babe’s daughter to the airport. I love the therapy dogs. It would be a good day to spend time with one of them. ❤️ I really like the beautiful Australian Shepherd.

Jackie, you have such nice walks. Beautiful photo of Betty and George.

Anne, oh my, filling up the garage! Do you get your choice of anything left in there? Nice to see Derek I would imagine. I picked up my little grocery order this morning so I am set for the week.

Barbie, good thought. Dogs are wonderful.

Be safe everyone.

Lin🙋🏼‍♀️
    ❤️❤️

lmg4u149i2ch.jpeg

• Sandydur
    https://www.facebook.com/reel/5685748584812980?fs=e&s=TIeQ9V&mibextid=0NULKw

Not sure this will work for any of you but it is a dramatic dog getting his nails clipped.
  • Sandydur
    edited February 2023
    Happy Wednesday! :) Not much time as I am picking Michele up from hospital and taking her to the airport at 10am. She is postponing her trip back but not sure when. I am hoping to not spend the nights at the hospital anymore. Babe is able to push the call button if he needs anything and I am exhausted.
    I need to sleep in my own bed and get some rest every night. Bryanna came and buzzed his hair yesterday so he looks much better. He continues to improve every day but they still need to get his oxygen down before sending him to rehab. He is still too weak to stand up so it will be a long recovery.
    I really need to start getting back to my own life and attend my meeting, help Rob with the kiddos and enjoy some time with friends. I know that sounds selfish but it is what keeps me going.

I better eat and get ready before time slips away. Have a good day.
    Sandy
    One Day at a Time
  • Loveburg87
    I’m watching a British tv series named SS-GB. I missed the beginning but managed to find an explanation on Wikipedia. Appears its based on a novel about the allies losing WW2. Did you watch JACKIE and any comments?
    ANNE.
  • jacAth3
    Drat, the post I typed this morning has disappeared! I wonder where it went. We walked in sunshine on thick frost across the top of the moors and only met one other dog walker, Ian who continues to deal with mental health issues that leave his cup half empty. Worked in the garden this afternoon until clouds drifted over and the temperature plummeted so by the time I had taken drying laundry in to hang on the airier and built a fire it was time for a cup of tea before cooking pan fried fish with steamed veggies. I know I mentioned many other things in my AWOL post but never mind, I’ve moved on!

Anne, for some reason I missed that drama and having looked on Wikipedia myself am sure I would have been interested in watching it. I’m trying to remember what was going on in my life in 2017!

Time for bed! Coffee and cake with Linda in the morning at the cafe next to a local reservoir.
    Jackie 🥰
  • linder4866
    linder4866 Posts: 11,076 Member
    edited February 2023
    Good evening. I got back to the post office to mail my local Valentines. Later I took a Valentine and a little treat over to my neighbors. They bring me a treat once in a while so it seemed it was beyond time for me to return the favor. We have snow coming overnight. Oh my, winter returns.

I worked a bit on Easter cards this afternoon, talked to a friend about how her grandson was doing in the rehab hospital. She sent me a short video this afternoon and with the help of two people, he was slowly walking down the hall. I think he is doing a tiny bit better. Apparently he will be returning to the state in March as they won’t keep him much longer.

Jackie, sorry your post evaporated. It is something that happens here. I couldn’t get to this page for a while today. 🤦🏼‍♀️ Enjoy coffee and cake with Linda tomorrow. It sounds lovely. Is it warm enough to sit outdoors? Are your sniffles better? I heard a bit about the end of Happy Valley but hope to hear a more complete report. She made it through. Wahoo! End of dishy boy, okay too.

Anne, I looked up that show and I see I can pay to watch it on Amazon or I can subscribe to the Starz channel and watch it for free. It doesn’t sound like my kind of show however.

Sandy, I can well imagine you are very tired and it is difficult to sleep at a hospital. Sincere wishes that you can get back to sleeping at home and doing some of your regular things.

Be safe everyone.

Lin🙋🏼‍♀️
    ❤️❤️

uoys4khi6zvm.jpeg

• jwubben6600
    Cold today! Some sun and lots of clouds.

Damon had to get back as soon as we returned from the doctor appt and a quick lunch. The appt was so upsetting I can’t tell how upset I am. John has congestive heart failure. I am ,
    Learning all,I can about it. It is to be a process to get the right meds and plan of action. Sorry if I sound so down but this is pretty scary stuff. Damon and Andrea both were at the doctor appt. We were all supporting John and they were very supportive of me. Even the doc was sweet to both John and I. He is usually very friendly to me and sort of friendly to John. I think he understands how hard it is for John to admit to a frailty.

Sandy: it sounds like you still have issues with Babe and his family. When someone is desperately sick, they need love and care. I sure did! John really felt the love and support of our family as we deal with this heart condition. It is good that his daughter came and his grand daughter comes to visit frequently. I sense you are doing your best but part of your heart just isn’t ready to help nurse him back to health. It must be hard for all concerned. God Bless you all, especially poor sick Babe.

Patsy☘️
  • Loveburg87
    edited February 2023
    Oh well I might as well add my bit. First though my heart goes out to PATSY and John and also of course to SANDYs Babe.
    Then of course to the horrific news from Syria and Turkey. Those poor, poor people. More damage done in a day than a year of bombing in the Ukraine. We had a 3.8 earthquake on the same day. It ran from Buffalo, USA to Niagara Falls and to Hamilton. I know we are on a fault line but that quake was barely felt and no damage. We are blessed.

I have to go to the docs today and my BP is always high - white coat syndrome? Anyway I just couldn’t sleep last night because of a very traumatic and frightening event in my past. Couldn’t turn my mind off and stupid though it sounds unlikely to happen again as the now old person who caused this event lives many miles away. I’ve never told the boys. Anyway, after Jilly’s morning bedtime cuddle I decided to take a BP reading out of curiosity. Sky high!!! I mean, really high. I honestly think I have some form of PTSD. Weird, because I so enjoy life normally and yet these thoughts come creeping in at bedtime. Anyone else have this and if so how to turn the mind off! Sorry, TMI.

JACKIE, I think you would have liked SS-GB. Rather scary about a British resistance group. I’ve only seen the one episode so far but it was enough to get me hooked onto a “what might have been” scenario. I’m not sure you would like it LIN. The episode I watched was on Buffalo public television.

Well I better go and shower for my early doctors visit. Just like the schoolboy dragging his feet to school as Shakespeare put it.

We all need spring for sure and daffodils tossing their beautiful heads in the breeze.

As the old song said about life in the old cotton mills, better times are coming soon, Nell gets paid on Friday.
    ANNE.
  • jacAth3
    edited February 2023
    I had an interesting start to my day when a man walking round the block in the same direction as me and the pooches stopped to chat to the dogs but when I said ‘ enjoy your walk’ as he set off again he then gave me a long description of why he was walking. All to do with treelines and the recording of information about where they are because they are apparently on the move due to global warming. As you can imagine, it was a bit early in the morning to understand but tree lines are visible demarcations where trees stop growing, all to do with environment! Well, who’d have thought it? 🫤
    On my way to collect Linda I found the end of her street was closed and a big hole being dug so phoned her to explain she would have to walk a little way to meet me, then on to the coffee shop for beautiful home made cake and lots of coffee. The sun had appeared and we sat in the window enjoying the warmth! She is driving to London at the weekend to stay with her SIL and hopefully put some support in place to ease the pressure from the DIL. Next week we will meet up for a seed swap but she already had an envelope of large blue Agapanthus seeds for me.

Patsy, I can understand your fear about John’s condition but I’m sure you will find the best way to put a strategy into place to control it at its current stage. My heart goes out to you but you have lots of loving support to wrap yourself in…. grab it with both hands and hold on tight. ❤️

Anne, my friend’s stroke when staying with me a few years ago followed a long day of her upsetting herself going over her disastrous marriage and pushing her blood pressure sky high. Easier said than done not to think of past horrors especially in the middle of the night but Pat is certainly aware now to slow everything down if she feels her heart rate increasing. I hope your appointment goes well and that white coat syndrome keeps away.
    Nell getting paid on Friday made me laugh!

Lin, the emotional ending in Happy Valley did seem the better option and I almost felt sorry for Tommy. A few loose ends were left but that’s life sometimes.
    cgh0afvu386f.jpeg
    Sniffles and headache still with me but I’ve learnt to ignore them!

Sandy, I haven’t liked to ask why you had to spend your nights at the hospital with Babe, perhaps because we wouldn’t be allowed in English hospitals unless it was a child or baby. When you agreed to Babe moving in, you weren’t anticipating such an impact on the life you’d made for yourself so it is understandable you are emotionally exhausted. Perhaps a few nights in your own bed are called for!

Time to light fires and make a cuppa. The temperature outside has plummeted again!
    Jackie 🥰
  • Sandydur
    GM. Going to meeting and then to hospital.
    Sandy
    One Day at a Time
  • Loveburg87
    Well good news from this end of the world. The doctor thinks “yes I have white coat syndrome.” So….no change in medication, my very wee pee result was negative and I don’t have to go again for three months. He is.very perceptive because he asked if I had any worries and if I have he is always there to listen. I won’t take him up on the offer but I was quite touched by it.

The lady to see him before me was a very tottery 98 year old and he said her next door neighbour was 99. So I am still a spring chicken in comparison.

Very good advice JACKIE, thank you and best wishes to Pat. Next time I get the wide awakes I’ll do something productive like make a cup of tea.

ANNE.
  • jwubben6600
    Sunny morning but cloudy afternoon. Spring is on the way. Daffodils are at least 6 inches high and showing a bit of color. Yea!

I made an appt. With a cardiologist for John and hope our regular doctor doesn’t get upset. I don’t feel too confident in his treatment plan. If he gets upset…so be it. I want expert care not the B team. Damon and Andrea are very much on board with this decision.

We have changed so much lately our lifestyle has been turned upside down. I knew it needed to happen because I could feel change was needed.I think we are going down a better track.

Anne: emotions are a real part of life. I learned that years ago when in college studying to be a therapist.. I opted for art because my interest was certainly in that area. I am a very emotional person. Like you, I tend to relive both good and bad events. I think we all do that. You are an intelligent person and I sense you analyze things rather throughly.

Sandy: I hope I didn’t overstep when trying to understand your exhausting and busy schedule. I know you are being pushed and pulled in all directions. Changes in life are hard and you have endured many changes currently. I meant no criticism because I know this has been a rocky and often scary journey for you, sending good thoughts and high hopes.

Lin: I am a bit late on my valentines. I hope I get them finished. My Valentine party got put aside. I am involved in dr appts and heart meds! Not nearly as much fun but very important .

Jackie: in our part of the world, we are looking at sea levels and dying marine life regarding environmental decline. Heartbreaking! We have seen 4 dead whales wash up on our local beaches in the last month. John is happily embracing vegetarian meals now. Better for his heart as well.
    Patsy☘️