Senior Golden Sneakers

Replies

• jacAth3
    jacAth3 Posts: 1,681 Member
    Good morning. It’s hardly worth mentioning that horizontal rain is sweeping across my garden right to left which indicates a south westerly off the Atlantic. Everyone I chat to locally is fed up because it seems to be the longest Winter but I remind them and myself that it is only mid March so just have to hang in there. Sorting through old boxes yesterday I found a box of letters my mother had kept that I sent when I first arrived in Toronto. Of course I began to read a few and it seems Winter 1970/71 was the worst Canada had a record of since 1935. There was also a postal strike in England that went on and on but because my mother worked for a government department called Crown Agents she was able to write via their offices in Washington DC and requested they send letters on to me. Haha, the good old days before emails when we had to use lateral thinking! It was also a time to repair my relationship with my mother who had walked out of our family home when I was 17 so we did our best to stay in touch.

George and Betty haven’t raised their heads and it’s already 10 am so I will make sure I have necessary paperwork to take with my car for its test and I must reread the letter inviting me for a CT scan this evening in case I should be doing more than just turning up!

Patsy, what is happening in Alaska is an avoidable tragedy and I despair that governments are not brave enough to say NO to lobbyists. It’s not just your country; it’s going on everywhere, as if we humans have a death wish but as you say, nothing we can do to stop the greedy few.

Sandy, it could be your doctor wanted to see you just to make sure you are ok physically after a rough few months. Mental strains can mutate into other issues if we aren’t careful. Perhaps give her the benefit of the doubt. ❤️

A pretty teapot Lin with its trailing clover. Wow, sounds you were on a serious mission to buy your new car and I’m surprised none were available. Was it an import or a model and make that’s too popular. I gather dealerships can’t give their cars away in Britain at the moment because all our money is going on food and heating. There is some kind of deadline to go all electric in the next few years but I can’t see that happening. Most people I know of my age say the petrol car they own has to see them out and hopefully we’ll be around a long time!

Anne, have you or your boys thought of searching your family history online? It’s quite easy once you get started and fascinating.

I hear 2 dogs jumping off my bed so time to face the rain!
    Stay safe and warm.
    Jackie 🥰
  • Loveburg87
    Loveburg87 Posts: 452 Member
    edited March 2023
    Hello. Very difficult to buy cars in Canada as well as in the states. Mark and Mary Jo struck lucky with their new electric car. They should have waited for weeks, but someone else just had a car delivered in the same make and colour they wanted and then found they couldn’t finance it so it was offered to Mark and Mary Jo instead. So, chosen on a Thursday they got it 2 days later on a Saturday.

The boys aren’t interested in our old family history JACKIE. I can go back to the 17 hundreds via an old family bible but it’s just names and dates. So no idea who these relatives were or what they did. I know my grandmothers family, mothers side, owned canal barges and my great grandad on my fathers side emigrated up north from Norfolk toYorkshire Hornsea.

I wasn’t really amused at getting my delivery groceries ordered for 10 to 11 delivered as I stepped out the shower at just gone 7:30 am last week. You have to answer the phone or they don’t deliver. I figure at $10 for each delivery we should get the correct time to receive. So today I’ve chosen the 12 midday to 2pm window. It’s rather nice not rushing about like the proverbial fly,

Do you remember the beautiful flowering lilac tree/bush I was so upset Harry chopped down to make room for a boat he took with him two weeks later when he moved PATSY? Beautiful huge flowers, I still miss it and the birds. Don’t even mention Alaska! Pure greed. Maybe, just maybe the Dutch are on the right track on todays news.

Anne.
  • Sandydur
    Sandydur Posts: 9,024 Member
    Happy Thursday! :) Dinner yesterday was fun and getting home early even better. Today is my meeting and maybe a few errands if it isn't pouring rain. Tomorrow I sit early so an early bedtime tonight.
    I am glad I bought my car when I did since prices are just out of control now. Between groceries, utilities, rents and the price of condos who can afford any of it?

Anne, I usually schedule my groceries for early afternoon so I can be showered and waiting. Walmart is pretty good on getting here exactly at the time requested. I have a yearly subscription for grocery delivery which is equivalent to $7.95 a delivery but you can have as many deliveries as you want. Not sure about tipping but I do tip $10 for anything over $100 just because I don't have to bring them up the stairs. Babe and I both said it was worth it.

Jackie, those little pups are lazy today. I hope you are out of pain and moving and grooving like your usual self.

Patsy, I am with you on doctor's appointments but I do want to take care of myself so I go. I am not looking forward to the appointment with the cardiologist but I do want to know if there is a problem that he can fix.

Lin, can you go online and research cars at different dealers to see what is available and the cost?
    I did that when I bought mine although when I got to the dealer she said oh we just sold that one this morning. Anything to get you in to hard sell you. I was glad I had my son with me.

Time for breakfast, have a good day everyone and stay safe. Carry those cell phones.

Sandy
    One Day at a Time
  • Loveburg87
    A very nice lady I’ve had once before showed up with the groceries at the correct time.
    I never complained about the previous guy showing up early but apparently other folk did because the delivery lady said he’d been sacked. She said he was too early for the majority of elderly who use this service. That I can believe, however I’m sorry he got laid off. But one old disabled chap in a wheelchair had phoned to say his groceries never came. The grocery firm said they had been delivered but instead of taking them through to the kitchen for a man in a wheelchair they were eventually found on the stairs in the hall.
    Apart from that and I do feel sorry for the laid off guy, he was always pleasant with me, even if early, it’s an absolutely gorgeous day here. Very sunny and very very springlike. Jilly enjoyed galloping around the back garden up to her tum in snow.

Anne.
  • linder4866
    linder4866 Posts: 11,071 Member
    Hello, a drizzly damp day with no hint of the sun. We have a high wind warning that’s set to start a bit later and lasts through the night. Not conducive to uninterrupted sleep.

I had a quick online chat with the dealership late yesterday. A salesman has branded me as his customer and I said I would call this morning. He said call anytime. So I called and he finally answered. Again, a quite short conversation as he was with a customer. Apparently I have to call to make an appointment to come to the dealership to get some time.

I did go back and research car sales and yes, overall they are down which should either bring a bit of a price break or at least not so many increases. But the auto makers are passing along 100% of material increases along in their MSRP. Second, I am looking at Honda and they have been quite poor in their ability to get the parts and electronics needed to build cars so supply remains quite low. Generally, the advice I read is to wait until later in the year to see what shakes loose in the economy. No one will tell me how much a deposit would be on selecting a car that is in the shipment channel. I am not thrilled about handing over potentially thousands of dollars for a product that may arrive whenever. I don’t have an immediate need for a car, thankfully.

So I will spend a lot of time trying to research answers for my questions online.

Anne, I am glad you got your groceries and closer to the scheduled time. My grocery orders to be picked up have been filled several hours earlier than the scheduled time. I think it is because my orders are so small! 😂. So please keep me updated on the new electric car. Did they have to have a special charging plug-in installed at their home?

Jackie, I know, we would like spring as well but it is not normal here. We have many Easter Sundays with very cold temperature and snow. So, I am not surprised at our weather. Yours though, I have seen many photos of early spring flowers online in various parts of Britain. I always wonder if they are from prior years.

Patsy, too many appointments, and even the thought of appointments makes me tired! Best wishes as you make the rounds.

Sandy, glad you are having good days! Best wishes. And just to be sure, you purchased a gas powered CRV right? Sorry, I didn’t pay close attention to all the details. 👀

Be safe everyone.

Lin🙋🏼‍♀️
    ❤️❤️

bugoab7y00iv.jpeg

• Sandydur
    edited March 2023
    Sandy, glad you are having good days! Best wishes. And just to be sure, you purchased a gas powered CRV right? Sorry, I didn’t pay close attention to all the details. 👀

It is gas powered but it is an HRV which is smaller than the CRV. I still love it!! <3 I couldn't afford the electric car which I am sure they must make. So I hope I don't have to change in the near future.
  • linder4866
    Sandy, thanks. Yes, the HRV! I was texting with a friend this afternoon who has a CRV—-got them on my brain. She is thinking of getting a new car but she is moving up the food chain to a more expensive car, an Acura RDX (I think). I looked at it for a second until I saw the $$ and then ran away! Thanks again.

It is snowing. Hoping it stops soon. ❄️❄️

Lin

• Loveburg87
    LIN, When I see Mark I will ask him about his Tesla. I did ask him about a special plug and he said no, just plug it in the already there outlet in the garage. I will make sure about that. Mike tells me it is an expensive car, but me who’s never driven, on the road anyway, wouldn’t know.

We are in for a dreary rainy day here. Mark wants to get going painting the downstairs finished walls. Me as well, I’ll be glad not having to pass a “builders” yard every time I do the washing, which I might do today.
    Anne.
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,903 Member
    :) For the last year we have been researching and considering buying an electric car. Jake has watched countless YouTube videos and done internet research. There are some awesome cars out there but most have awesome price tags. We are coming close to making a decision on something modest in price. Yesterday we had a man from an electrician company come and look at our electricity and garage to make an estimate on what it would cost to have a dedicated plug for the car in the garage. Yes, you can plug in to ordinary electricity but it's best to have the right system which is pricy.

:) The weather was so nice here that Jake cut the grass in the small back yard,

<3 Barbie
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,903 Member
    wyw6t4bkcwqj.jpg
  • Sandydur
    4ozauzsco1fm.jpeg

Sitting , will try to get back later.
    Sandy
    One Day at a Time
  • jacAth3
    edited March 2023
    u9koxz9qbki6.jpeg

Happy St Patrick’s day everyone. Still raining in Cornwall and the mist is descending as the evening draws in.
    Yesterday afternoon went well. I took a book to the garage and sat in their office for the hour my car went through every test. It passed so I’m back on the road for another year! Later I drove into town for my lung test appointment and after a very pleasant nurse asked a number of questions I was offered a CT scan because, as she said, it will also show most other organs in my body which will mean peace of mind if nothing untoward is found. Apparently the mobile unit is a Toshiba invention and saving lives already and the whole process took less than half an hour.

Today I collected together the things destined for the charity shop and after Linda had coffee here we drove to Launceston town, dropped everything off then walked round town until we found a small cafe and stopped for lunch. Before driving home we stopped at an outdoor store where I bought a half price pair of thermal gloves that will be ideal when walking because they have a cuff to cover my wrists.

So now the fire is lit, the rain continues to fall and I will soon cook an evening meal before putting feet up.

Lin, I imagine a lot of photos of Spring flowers are old stock although we did spot a Stellata magnolia in full bloom and rows of daffodils on the side of the road leading into town so they are doing their best!

The smaller versions of hybrid electric cars are popular in England but even they start at an extortionate price which is why I can’t see us ever stopping the manufacture of petrol cars.

Jackie 🥰
  • linder4866
    squ8i0tjxwsq.jpeg

• jwubben6600
    jwubben6600 Posts: 1,677 Member
    Happy Saint Patrick’s Day everyone! It is sunny but still quite chilly.

Bought a corned beef sandwich and ate half. Confess to being a bit nauseous. I haven’t eaten red meat in several years. My tummy was not prepared for such an Assault. Not sure what possessed me to entertain such a departure. I guess the devil made me do it.

All this talk of new cars is really something. We get a new car and it is like we have adopted a child. We feel guilty and sad when we actually use it up. We use cars 20+ years normally. Our son Damon used to love cars. He was dedicated to BMWs for years. Currently repairs and maintenance is so expensive and often just unavailable he has thrown in the towel! He is considering buying the official car of Oregon…a Subaru. Solid and reliable and boring but everywhere. I don’t know if they even have a hybrid. But the last time he had maintenance done on his BMW it was a two month wait and astronomical price. He said he simply doesn’t have the time to deal with this kind of complexity.

Love the Irish graphics and especially St.Patrick and the snakes. At family parties we spend a bit of time telling outrageous Irish jokes and then toasts, some in an attempt In Gaelic. My tongue can’t do what is required however. The parties and celebrations are an American invention I think. My gran said in Ireland it was a deeply religious day. And she never heard of corned beef until she immigrated to the US.

I have a phobia about doctors and hospitals. The appointments I have are torturous for me. Getting there and getting back. My knee will be a problem walking, John has difficulty driving until he gets his cataract procedures. Daughter is having problems with her knees as well. Damon is slammed with work. Everything will work out but it will not be smooth sailing. Therefore I am even more anxious about these appointments.
    Patsy☘️☘️☘️☘️☘️☘️☘️☘️☘️☘️☘️☘️☘️☘️☘️☘️☘️🎶☘️☘️☘️☘️☘️☘️☘️☘️☘️☘️☘️☘️☘️

• Sandydur
    Happy Saturday! :) Laundry today, then family zoom call, nail appointment and then Church. The sun is shining but it is only 14 degrees. I picked up my two prescriptions from Walmart and not sure I am happy with my reading glasses. Will stop there today to see if they can adjust lens because my left eye seems blurry. It could be I have to get used to them but no harm in checking.

I had Lean Cuisine cheese pizza for St. Patrick's Day. I am not a big fan of corned beef so once was enough. Charlie was home sick yesterday, she had an annoying cough so I kept her home. Good thing I did because she coughed so hard that it made her throw up, on the floor, in the bathroom sink, in the toilet and finally the couch. lol It wasn't as bad as it reads but the strawberries she ate made it colorful.
    Sorry TMI? When I was leaving to go home she said thank you for taking care of me grandma while I puked. She is something else that little girl. She melts my heart.

I might be sitting in the morning because Rob is speaking at his meeting and Lisa might want to go. She also would like to be able to sleep in so she will let me know today.

That's about it, I hope your day is enjoyable and filled with love and kindness.

Sandy
    One Day at a Time

P.S. Telsa's here are very expensive.
  • linder4866
    Good evening. I hope everyone is doing well today.

It was a laundry, straighten things up, write checks, clean out the magazine rack kind of day. Reading a book this evening after spreading foiling gel through a few stencils (they are drying now). And I may have a viable idea for the last elements for the front of the Easter cards. Many pieces to die cut though but it seems like I may have a direction finally.

Sandy, I know there are loads of super expensive electric vehicles for sale in the United States but I wouldn’t consider a Tesla. Out of my price range. There are many cars for sale that I have never heard of at all. Staying with something at least known to me is my plan. And not an electric car but a gas engine or a hybrid.

I am pushing my pencil again on the entire issue. Read an article that said older people should budget for needing rides to appointments etc. Having a car is not enough if you become incapacitated or your car is out of commission. I had thought about that but really hadn’t considered how much it would cost if regular rides to all appointments would be necessary. I did talk to a lady that belongs to my church one day and the topic came up (no, I didn’t ask her for help) and she was upset because she was asked to help take another member to urgent care as she no longer drives and her daughter’s car needed repairs. She says because she doesn’t work, her name comes up first if someone needs something. She also ended up driving to a pharmacy to pick up the lady’s prescriptions. She said she will not be available on a regular basis to help out. She was quite irritated.

Church tomorrow morning is in my plans. Then I will start die cutting. 😄

Thinking of you my friends.

Lin🙋🏼‍♀️
    ❤️❤️

72bjgs2gfo1q.jpeg

• jacAth3
    Big sigh!! I just lost my post and earlier today I lost my iPhone on the moors and although I retraced my steps, it remains lost. My driving license was in the wallet so that would tell an honest finder where to return it otherwise it will be an expensive loss. It’s late and I can’t repeat everything that whizzed off screen but will return in the morning.
    I see Lin dropped in above so will see what teapot has been chosen and how her day was.

Jackie 🥰
  • linder4866
    Oh Jackie! I am so sorry to hear you lost your phone. Terrible loss—phones are so essential! I hope you find it or it is returned to you along with your license.

😢
  • Loveburg87
    Oh dear,.I’m so sorry you have lost your phone JACKIE. There are still good people around so here’s hoping. It won’t help your loss but mine, which was second hand, has given up the ghost as well. I only used it when I tottered to the street mail box etc. It was a comfort but I’m dreading to find out what a new one will cost. I still walk without any aids but maybe a walker or stick to keep me upright would be cheaper? LOL.

Today is the last day of winter and he’s going off leaving us all freezing with very cold temperatures. Spring arrives tomorrow with 5 PLUS predicted! Goodbye snow on the drive! It’s been a long and very dark winter, the darkest since records were set apparently

Michael is over today which will make for one happy dog and one happy mom.

By the way, I try to be as independent as possible with my family. I can imagine I could easily become a burden as old time keeps a-moving ever onwards. I believe pharmacy’s here deliver prescriptions. I would have thought that would be the same in the States?

I am sat here being licked! A shower is called for! Nothing worse than chicken breath licks so BYE.

Anne ❤️🙃👅🐕‍🦺

• Sandydur
    Jackie, is your phone an IPhone? If so go to ICloud.com/find and sign in to see where your phone might be unless it was stolen or you never turned it on. Sometimes they show up where we don't expect them like between the seats in your car. Can you call your phone to see if it might be in your car or house?

Anne, I am with you and would like to stay independent even though my daughter keeps saying why don't I live with each child three months a year. Can you imagine what a pain that would be? I like living alone and as long as I am able and can afford to do so I will continue living alone.

Lin, I wish I would have bought a hybrid, then you have the best of two worlds.

Nothing going on today so will get things together for my trip on Tuesday. Sitting all day tomorrow and Bryanna coming to color and cut my hair tomorrow night.

Have a good day everyone and good luck Jackie.
    Sandy
    One Day at a Time