Senior Golden Sneakers

Options

Replies

• jwubben6600
    jwubben6600 Posts: 1,677 Member
    Options
    A mild sunny afternoon! Wow! Not sure how to take this. It might be a trick. Evil weather sneaking up on us as we bask in this heavenly spring like weather.

I have long known that medicine is not an exact science. Most doctors actually know this but they are the ones that deny that fact. This thing with John is mysterious and scary. There are times when he is lucid and back to his old self. Then comes the times when he can’t remember words and has extreme exhaustion. There are other symptoms as well. We go to the doctors,, hospital for tests and each time some new thing is discovered. Never a real definitive answer. Meanwhile whatever this is, is not treated or even acknowledged. Stroke? Dementia? Alzheimer’s? Brain tumor? Reaction to meds?

I am clearring out closet and chest of drawers. There are so many things that I will not ever wear ever again. They are taking up room and need to be either discarded or donated to Goodwill. Takes time but I will get it done.

Anne: my dad and brother had back problems. They both had 2 back surgeries. You are right about it taking months to heal. They did eventually heal but had to be care thereafter.

Lin: Damon is having the same car issues. He wants to buy a new car but none are available. His old Mitsubishi no longer has parts and he sold his BMW. That was just a money sink. The simplest repair or maintenance was crazy expensive.

Sandy: great! You are on the mend! You are almost up and running. This was just a bend in the road. We all get them. They are just horribly uncomfortable.

Jackie: we know about rain and being sick and tired of the wet and dark days. There are times when it is all I can do to keep from going out in the rain and yelling skyward. “Will you please just stop this for a day or so?” In truth there would be a lot of angry cuss words in there as well.
    Patsy☘️
  • linder4866
    linder4866 Posts: 11,078 Member
    Options
    Patsy, so good to see you. I am sorry the doctors are not pinpointing what might be John’s problem(s). Very frustrating. Having a nice weather day is wonderful. I am hoping for some around here soon. Very cold again today. We are still in the target for severe weather in the next few days as temperatures rise and storms form.

I wasted time looking at 2 other Honda dealerships. One has a car I would like to see. Would you believe you need to make an appointment to come and see this demo model?

A friend called this afternoon. She was having phone problems and called to talk a while and to see if she had everything straightened out again. She did. 👍🏻👍🏻

Jackie, too wet! But your potatoes are growing—fabulous. I hope you are able to get petrol tomorrow.

Anne, I hope Mark’s back is healed. I didn’t know he was still doing therapy.

Sandy, I did look around on the Internet and multiple sources did say heavy coughing could produce higher blood pressure. I had never really thought about it. Thanks for putting me in the know.

Be safe everyone. And may we all have good health.

Lin 🙋🏼‍♀️
    ❤️❤️

my8dw2is5cei.jpeg

• barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,905 Member
    Options
    :) We got the good weather--sunshine and 60 degrees. Jake cut the grass in the back yard and I did 30 minutes of gathering debris in the front yard. Slow and steady wins the race. We can do all this work a little bit at a time.

<3 Barbie

• jacAth3
    jacAth3 Posts: 1,685 Member
    edited March 2023
    Options
    This morning was Betty’s nail cutting appointment but first I walked them round the block. We bumped into a friend of my nice neighbours who has bought a property about half a mile along this route since meeting an American online and deciding on living for 6 months in each country. Probably both in their 60’s and seem well suited. Betty was very good as her nails were clipped, probably because she was fed lots of freshly cooked liver treats! Pugs nails are black, even the quick, so it’s frightening to cut them in case there’s a bleed but the nurse was very patient and Betty only squirmed when her back feet were held. My monthly pet insurance allows as many visits as needed so it was suggested we go back in about 6 weeks for another trim.
    A little shopping afterwards but I forgot to fill up my car so that will have to be another day.

So Patsy, you have heard me across the thousands of miles, shouting at the sky? 😤 A few naughty words too! As I walked from my car to the entrance of a store this morning, the heavens opened and a lady walking from another direction laughed as her shoulders, hair and glasses became soaked in seconds so I must have looked exactly the same. We agreed we had never experienced such a wet month of March and we’re looking forward to April showers because they should at least be warmer!

Oh dear Lin, your search for a new vehicle continues. Hopefully you will be in the right place at the right time one day soon to nab the one you want.

I hope you are feeling more rested Sandy. Another day in Jim-jams!

Anne, the BBC is showing a series called Race Across the World when couples compete to travel thousands of miles with very little money and no phone or transport. They set off from Vancouver on foot with a first goal in the Yukon where the scenery is stunning and the final destination is Halifax on the east coast so I’m guessing Canada will be a popular holiday destination next year!

A letter has arrived from the mobile clinic that arranged my CT scan a couple of weeks ago to advise they have picked up a nodule on my lung but I do not currently have lung cancer. They will arrange for another scan in 3 months to check if there are any changes so once again I seem to be in the best hands for preventative treatment. It’s a reminder to get on and live life!

It doesn’t look like it will be dry enough to be outside this afternoon so instead I will do a small DIY job that’s been looking at me for weeks.
    Happy Thursday
    Jackie 🥰
  • Sandydur
    Sandydur Posts: 9,030 Member
    Options
    Happy Thursday! :) Still have a slight nagging cough but otherwise feel good. Will continue to stay in until the weekend and then hope to return to Mass. I did throw on some sweats yesterday to have some groceries delivered. I stayed away from the guy who delivered and explained I had been tested and it is only a cold. I had to sign for my delivery so I gave him a wipe to clean his phone and hands.
    I am catching up on all the shows I have been wanting to watch which reminds me Call the Midwife is back and I am still loving that series.

Jackie, sorry to hear about your nodule, but happy to hear it isn't cancer. I believe in preventive treatment as it is better to find things early and get them fixed. Waiting to see the cardiologist about my heart scan the end of April. Sorry about all your rain, we are expecting ours in the next week.

Barbie, lucky you, I am patiently waiting for some warm weather and sunshine.

Lin, I am sorry you are having such a hard time finding a car. When you find the right one you will know it and you will be happy you waited. I would still follow the doctor's advice on daily readings. I did that for a month and my blood pressure was high each reading thus the blood pressure pill. Don't take chances with a stroke or heart attack.

Patsy, I do hope that you get some answers to John's problems soon to ease your mind. There were days when Babe got confused as well so I think it comes with age. As far as getting answers sometimes the doctors just don't know believe me I know and it is very frustrating. Hang in there and enjoy what you have together and don't worry about what might not happen.

Anne, thanks for reminding me I want to watch “all creatures great and small”. I also had two discs removed from my back and a sciatica surgery to remover the nerve from my bone. Other than shrinking 2 1/2 inches I am fine except if I over do like Mark. My surgery was fairly easy as they did then all with
    microscopic surgery so no big incisions. Therapy is the key to any surgery as I am sure Mark knows and has done.

Enjoy your day and thanks for always being here for me. Missing Babe but doing better.
    Sandy
    One Day at a Time
  • linder4866
    edited March 2023
    Options
    Hello, I have been busy with chores, washing clothes, cleaning, paying bills, addressing Easter cards, putting birthday cards in the mail, a long phone conversation, cooking, etc., etc., etc.

It has warmed up and did get quite windy today as forecast. Tomorrow is expected to be a very rocky weather day. Hope things don’t turn out badly.

Sandy, glad you are doing better. ❤️❤️ I have been watching “Call the Midwife” each Sunday evening so am caught up. Same with “All Creatures Great and Small” which often brings tears to my eyes. I don’t normally watch many shows that do that. But I do enjoy these.

Jackie, I am glad your scan discovered this nodule early. I hope it does not turn into anything. Eons ago, I had an X-ray that found a nodule in my lung. After frightening me, it was evaluated and found to be an encapsulated nodule. No worries. No one has every brought it up again.

Barbie, wonderful to hear you had some decent weather. Good job. Working bit by bit! 👍🏻👍🏻

Anne, what are you watching or reading these days? How’s the Bean?

Patsy, did you have good weather again today? Thinking of you. ❤️❤️

Must get back to addressing envelopes.

Lin🙋🏼‍♀️
    ❤️❤️

quij8f8xys7r.jpeg

• jacAth3
    Options
    z5gjrwidx2gn.jpeg

Nothing else to add at the moment except I love the teapot’s rose on its lid!
    Jackie 🫤
  • Loveburg87
    Loveburg87 Posts: 452 Member
    edited March 2023
    Options
    Morning all. The Ms rolled up and proceeded to paint the second coat on the basement LR and one bedroom walls. It looks lovely and airy. They then shocked me by saying they will continue and do ALL the rooms which means the second bedroom, the bathroom, the kitchen, the furnace come washroom and a room with no heating which contains a sink and I’ve always used as a cold room for storing vegetables and odds and ends like the window air conditioners and summer fans. All to be the same shade of paint throughout. It’s difficult to describe this colour but it’s very springlike and pretty. Sort of a very very pale grey but with the faintest hint of pale, pale green. Prettier than the description. Should (and does ) look great against the new dark wood staircase and eventually same colour flooring throughout). Michael asked me suspiciously WHY and I have no idea except my suspicions of course. The two Ms are reaching retirement age for a start and why not do it now whilst both are active. The basement is beginning to look much bigger now that left over building materials and empty paint cans are being removed as well.

So of course LIN I don’t have much time for hobbies with all this activity going on. I do the simple stuff like wash the sheet dust covers on the Ercol sofa and chairs etc. The cleaner upper lady!
    So in the evening it’s mainly finding murder mysteries on the tv with me and Bean collapsed on the sofa. I’m watching “all creatures” and can get a bit watery eyed as I look at the beautiful scenery of those hills I once, years ago, explored. The lovely down to earth people as well. I’m happy here, but I’m so glad the brain is still full of memories.

Enough of me. I’m hoping every one is feeling so much better with Aprils arrival tomorrow. I’m imagining the new wall colour downstairs with a jug full of daffodils on the coffee table! Meanwhile we’ve got flurries!

Years ago in the old country JACKIE I took a Tubercolosis test at work and I had a shadow. This was followed by weeks of worry and especially by my dad. Then suddenly it had gone. Probably leftover symptoms from a cold I was blithely told. I’m praying that your nodule turns out to be a similar vanishing problem.

Well must away and do something upstairs before the busy bees arrive again to spoil Beans and my once peaceful existence! Michael is safely tucked away at work avoiding all THIS work.

I suspect the new people in Maria’s old house will arrive tomorrow to add to Jilly Beans excitement.

Anne.
  • Loveburg87
    Options
    JACKIE and her forecast just arrived above me. Take heart Jackie, it’s snowing outside here, BUT apparently temperatures SOAR on Monday and I guess will reach you a few days later.
    Anne.
  • Loveburg87
    Options
    Ladies I am now being scammed it would seem by some little toe rag pretending to be my phone company.
    Please take care. Three messages so far. The first arrived at 6am.
    Anne.
  • Sandydur
    Options
    3eb1cva949er.jpg
    We also have some nasty weather later today, our village even sent this warning.

Happy Saturday! :) Has another good night of sleep, but still have a lingering cough. I feel much better though and find honey better than anything. Doing the laundry but that is about all. I do hope to get out tomorrow weather permitting.

Anne, maybe the M's are thinking of moving in with you, would that be okay with you?

Have a great Saturday.
    Sandy
    One Day at a Time
  • linder4866
    edited March 2023
    Options
    Happy Friday. We have the same warnings here Sandy. Early school dismissals, some events canceled and others hanging by a thread.

Wishing everyone the best. 🤞🏻❤️🤞🏻

Lin🙋🏼‍♀️
    ❤️❤️
  • linder4866
    Options
    ngyhe1qik38g.jpeg
  • Sandydur
    Options
    So far Lin and I are safe, more storms coming.
  • jacAth3
    edited April 2023
    Options
    t1n3dlug0mkx.jpeg
    April 1st!! Where did the first quarter of the year go? 🫣

Thanks for letting us know Sandy. Those tornadoes look terrifying and I hope you both got some rest last night. ❤️

Sunshine woke me this morning but before we got out for a walk the rain returned so although we got as far as the garden room, George and Betty are now snoozing while I catch up with emails and news. Once we have walked I will spend some time today tidying my greenhouse ready for tomato, peppers and cucumber seedlings that will need to be potted on and hopefully muck out the hen house.

Time to get going but will return later to ensure everyone is safe. Take care!
    Jackie
  • Sandydur
    edited April 2023
    Options
    Happy Saturday! :) Caught up on more sleep today, getting lazy in my old age. Video call with family soon and later will be going to Mass in person.
    The storms were nerve racking last night, the sirens kept going off and I would stay in my bathroom.
    Was in contact with Lin to make sure we were both okay and thank God we are. Some terrible damage to some areas with high winds and tornados but we were lucky.
    Feeling pretty good and slight cough but not like before. I will now get on with my life. Even though I don't talk about him, I miss Babe every day and still can't believe I won't see him again.

I hope all are well and trying to stay healthy. Have the best day ever.
    Sandy
    One Day at a Time
  • linder4866
    edited April 2023
    Options
    Hello, yes, thankful to be safe. 5 counties were declared disaster areas in this state. All seemed calm and I finally went to sleep. Then the winds started up again and my house made scary noises for a few hours. I woke up to a coating of snow this morning. It has warmed up and the snow has melted already. ☀️☀️

Any April Fool’s Day pranks? I got several emails that were full of silly things. 😄😄

Here’s a different “rabbit, rabbit” greeting for the first of the month. I think these are very cute.

wyofmmbjzub4.jpeg

Sandy, thanks for yesterday’s messages. It was good to keep in touch! I am glad you are pretty much recovered. ❤️ Enjoy your call with family and getting to church. Back in your groove. I know you are still hurting over your loss and I wish there was something I could say to help. Praying you will find some kind of peace in your own time.

Jackie, oh, your activities seem so spring like. I guess spring weather will arrive here one of these days. I saw this illustration this morning and I thought of your lovely greenhouse. But I hope you don’t have any rabbits like the huge one in the illustration!

8f6onqunjgld.jpeg

I hope everyone is safe and doing well.

Lin🙋🏼‍♀️
    ❤️❤️

xarc4nkb6x9d.jpeg

• jwubben6600
    jwubben6600 Posts: 1,677 Member
    Options
    Hello dear ones! We have sunshine again. It is breezy and a bit chilly but spring-like,

My big news is that I think i may have found a good helper for housecleaning. She is perfect. Just enough complications that makes her my kind of person. First of all…she really doesn’t speak English. We have a few words we use and lots of hand waving and and demonstrations. And she must bring her 9 year old boy! He will play games on my iPad while his mom cleans. Complicated enough? John is falling down laughing. As I hired her, John is laughing and telling me that this is really my kind of house cleaner. No one can talk to each other and no one knows what the other needs! Perfect!

The doctors adjusted John’s meds and it helped tremendously. Not sure what will happen long term but he is back to his same self today. Good day here!

I am making chicken chili. Instead of cornbread I am making a sort of Mexican zucchini bread. It has cornmeal and spices and zucchini of course.

These storms are so scary. I am so grateful everyone is safe. Lin and Sandy, I am sure you have plans when these crazy storms hit us. I guests no one has storm cellars any more.

Patsy☘️
  • Loveburg87
    Options
    Hello! A very happy and quickie from me.

I’ve finally had a phone call from Maria and guess what, she isn’t living with her kids or her sister in another town, she’s bought a small bungalow here in our town! She couldn’t bear to live in the big house by herself after Tony died, which I can understand. Anyway, she was on her way to church but we will get together in the near future. I’ve warned her I’ve gone deaf in one ear from the shingles and half blind until I get permission to get the cataract surgery, and I’ve grown old and doddery but other than that I’m in the best of health! Lol. Of course I’m far too old for her, but I’m so very pleased to have heard from her because I have grown very fond of her in the 7 years I’ve known her. She thought I was ill because she’d only seen Mark when she’s been over. I told her he’s been over a lot because the house was being totally renovated, but unfortunately not me! She kindly said she liked my cozy little hundred year old house just as it was. Me as well, but I guess we must keep up with the times!!!

All for now, it’s teatime. We had winds and rain yesterday and it’s still raining, but we’ve reached 11C.

Happy April ladies. We will soon be tiptoeing through those TULIPS.

Anne. 🌷🌷🐰🐰🐰🐰🐰🌷🌷

• jacAth3
    edited April 2023
    Options
    Good morning friends! Things are picking up here in Cornwall too with no sign of rain. We’ve a cool northerly wind which is unheard of this time of year but then that’s nothing compared to others around the world. I’m going to test the terrain on the moors with George and Betty and then hopefully enjoy a busy day because I’ve spent too many days on my rear watching the rain so now my muscles are complaining loudly.

Gosh Sandy and Lin, another nasty storm out of the way and I’m so relieved you are both safe. Life has become interesting with these precarious weather systems but it’s nothing we weren’t warned about years ago.
    The bunny napkins are adorable Lin and reminded me of Home Economics lessons at school when we were taught how to create such wonders. Of course that was an era when we women were expected to entertain on a grand scale even if we lived in a tiny middle class home. 😄😆
    I’m pleased you are shaking off that nasty bug Sandy. We never quite get over losing loved ones and I’m sure you will always miss Babe but your faith and loved ones will offer peace. ❤️

Dear Patsy, I’ve laughed out loud while eating my porridge and reading your post. What a perfect, fun cleaning arrangement you’ve made and I can see you spending time with the 9 year old reading stories while performing with your puppets! Great news for John as well and just goes to show what scary cocktails of drugs doctors can ply us with.

Anne, great news for you too with Maria making contact. She seems to have made a sensible decision to maintain her independence and how lovely to have a local friend you can hopefully meet up with. Age doesn’t come into it so long as you get on and Maria obviously doesn’t care. Who knows, there could be opportunities to get out of the house for coffee and cake while the renovators crack on!

Time to get going. I think I will need to wrap up and also wear my wellies because Cornwall is saturated.
    Happy Sunday.
    Jackie 🥰🌤️☀️