Please flag the spam !

Replies

• Rincewind_1965
    Rincewind_1965 Posts: 639 Member
    Flag as "Spam", or, in case of "serial-spammers" send a report to the moderators.
    Either usually works fine.
  • TheMrWobbly
    TheMrWobbly Posts: 2,523 Member
    Bump
  • rianneonamission
    rianneonamission Posts: 854 Member
    I wish there was a mod-like spam handler designation: someone who has the ability to silence spam accounts. I would not take on mod responsibilities, but I would gladly volunteer to nuke spam.

I agree. This morning has been horrendous. I'd like nuking abilities too in order to remove these posts and be able to silence that poster until a mod comes in.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,130 Member
    edited June 2018
    My spam reporting clicking is exhausting me this morning, @Alex @Nova is there no way to set up the forum to temporarily block an account from posting if x amount of posts are taken down for moderation, until it's reviewed by a Mod?
  • rianneonamission
    Same here. I am furiously marking as spam, but surely this level of posting has now flagged up as bot spamming?
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Same here. I am furiously marking as spam, but surely this level of posting has now flagged up as bot spamming?

It probably is, but may not do any good. This bot has a curious behavior. It's deleting and re-creating the same account after a certain number of posts.
  • rianneonamission
    That makes sense. I was wondering why the number of posts under their avatar never exceeded 10. Mind you, it may pick up an ip address.

They need mods in time zones outside of the US.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,130 Member
    edited June 2018
    That makes sense. I was wondering why the number of posts under their avatar never exceeded 10. Mind you, it may pick up an ip address.

I thought that was just down to the posts being removed for moderation and it being the number of actual posts they still had "live" it was 14 posts at one point.

Edited to add, just tested the theory after being 5th reporter, the number of posts does go down when posts are closed for moderation.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator

We actually have mods all over the world. The problem sometimes is, they arent always online. Its also why we gave a handful of members to ability to eliminate spam with one report as opposed to 5 reports.
  • Rincewind_1965
    Rincewind_1965 Posts: 639 Member
    Contacted a German mod about this, sadly he doesn't have moderating rights for the American forum ...
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    I wish there was a mod-like spam handler designation: someone who has the ability to silence spam accounts. I would not take on mod responsibilities, but I would gladly volunteer to nuke spam.

I can't block a member from posting, but one of my spam flags = five spam flags so the post is removed. Perhaps if you contact one of the staff members and ask for the same spam nuking rights that I have :)

That's an interesting ability. I'll try to contact someone to see if I can have it. I'm often around during spam peak hours.
  • rianneonamission
    psuLemon wrote: »

We actually have mods all over the world. The problem sometimes is, they arent always online. Its also why we gave a handful of members to ability to eliminate spam with one report as opposed to 5 reports.

Ah, I see. I had noticed that spam tends to stay up longer earlier in the day (GMT), when the US is still asleep. Thanks for the clarification :-)
  • rianneonamission
    Now spamming under teamlooban18
  • Just_Jon
    Just_Jon Posts: 108 Member
    Korean spam from gizila62 - why don't they ban these people?
  • Just_Jon
    Just_Jon Posts: 108 Member
    Bumping this up so people see it in the list and kill the recent spammer.
  • psuLemon
    Looks like i got it all
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    A few in the General forum right now. Some are just "Blank discussion topic" but from the same spammer as some that have been pulled.
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    A few in the General forum right now. Some are just "Blank discussion topic" but from the same spammer as some that have been pulled.

Are you still seeing them? I nuked a bunch of them a bit ago, so it may have taken time to filter down, but I am not seeing any BDT in the forums.
  • psuLemon
    kgeyser wrote: »

Are you still seeing them? I nuked a bunch of them a bit ago, so it may have taken time to filter down, but I am not seeing any BDT in the forums.

I just nuked a bunch too. I think it was a timing thing.