Calling all Vegetarians and Vegans!!

2»

Replies

• drabbits3
    drabbits3 Posts: 140 Member
    if it's not too late to add...overnight oats!!! in a glass mason jar--1/2 cup oatmeal (old fashioned, not quick or steel cut), cover with 1/2 cup water and 1/2 cup plain non fat greek yogurt--don't stir. in the morning, add berries or whatever you like. there is also a good cereal from Shape magazine believe it or not--quinoa and couscous cooked in apple juice with dried fruit stirred in--delish. I also found these hot cereals at Whole Foods that are vegan, lots of chia/flax type stuff--called Earnest Eats Hot and Fit Cereal. The one I tried was mango and green tea--it is TERRIFIC. green smoothies too--add greek yogurt if you want more protein or soy or coconut milk.
  • Blueseraphchaos
    Blueseraphchaos Posts: 843 Member
    I like plain greek yogurt with a bit of honey and maybe some fruit added. I also made a very tasty, very filling soup today made of black-eyed peas, frozen baby lima beans, frozen butternut squash, and white wine broth (from a box, but not bad nonetheless, but you could use plain tomato juice, i squeeze my own and use as a soup base). I make a lot of soups with beans and tofu. Full disclosure, I'm not a vegan or vegetarian, but i don't eat much meat.

Thug kitchen is great too, i agree with previous posters!
  • iheartdinosaurs
    iheartdinosaurs Posts: 45 Member
    Not technically vegetarian, but have super limited access to meat (and many other products and produce I'd like to live) where I live in Ethiopia. Been struggling with not getting enough protein, but have been dabbling more and more into beans and lentils. Second the previous poster's soup suggestion - you can be incredibly creative quite easily, and never get bored! Tonight I loosely followed the following instructions to cook some great northern white beans and turned it into a super delicious soup. My secret - I pretty much tripled the recommended fresh garlic, added my favorite mix of spices, and let simmer for over an hour, and then mixed in some chopped greens near the end of the simmering. Also recommend starting with dry beans and fully soaking first if you have time, but rinsing canned beans works well too! http://emmycooks.com/2012/03/22/how-to-cook-white-beans/