Sunken in face

2»

Replies

• Kevalicious99
    Kevalicious99 Posts: 1,131 Member
    This was my issue too .. I got down to 7% body fat only cause I wanted to get to some abdominal measurement. It was stupid and I wish someone would have told me how terribly bad I really looked as I was blind to it. I have been trying for the last 4 or so months to fix the damage that I created. I am now about maybe 12% body fat and gained 12 lbs (and 1 inch in my abs) but my face is much the same even though other wise I look much better. So .. be aware that bad things can happen if you do not monitor yourself in the mirror very closely and why I do not in the least recommend number type goals but rather use the mirror and hope you have someone that will tell you the truth about how you really look I sure wish that someone told me the truth before it was too late. I have sure noticed that people treat me differently because they think I have an ED and are just afraid of me now.
  • Adpalangi
    Adpalangi Posts: 349 Member
    SLLRunner wrote: »
    Adpalangi wrote: »
    Ok, now I'm feeling alittle concered. Saw my youngest sister past Sun. And like everyone else she noticed my weight loss, and like the rest of them she said it's really showing in my face and not in a good way. Also saw my daughter since maybe 4 weeks, she told me I need to eat more, my face is sunken in, and it didn't look healthy.
    So that's made almost my whole family, kinda thought after loosing close to 30 lbs I would hear some more compliments. But all I've really heard was too skinny and sunken in face. I thought I would at least hear something like your looking great. Anyway I don't really want to try to put back on alittle for my face (which I do see what they are talking about. But I'm afraid of where those calories would park themselves. I am concerned the would go to my belly, which is were I feel I still need to loose those remaining couple lbs. not sure how to go about getting rid of that sunken in face. Anyone else have kinda a situation like this and if so how did you handle it?

Yes, people will comment that I've lost a lot of weight (44 lbs). Some say I look great, others say I'm too thin, and still others say I look like I'm still losing weight.

I've been maintaining for a year now and I look fine. I have no plans to lose more weight, but I also have no plans to gain. I just allow them to have their opinion and continue on my journey.

Is your profile picture you now? If so, you look wonderful.

Thank you for your time and reply. Also thank you for your kind words. That was a before picture, actually I think it was about 4 months earlier than starting the diet. I had update front back sideways pictures, but when I had problems with my phone and had to turn it in, it saved very few of my pics, and those weren't any of them.
  • Adpalangi
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    Adpalangi wrote: »
    , need to remind myself it can't be too bad if my new Size 0 and 2 are having trouble staying up on me.

So your loved ones describe your face as sunken in and you think size 0/2 falling down is a good thing. I checked your profile and you haven't posted pics of the new you - which isn't necessary but you do have before shots up

This sounds like someone in need of medical advice to me - please consult a doctor

That was a before picture, actually I think it was about 4 months earlier than starting the diet. I had update front back sideways pictures, but when I had problems with my phone and had to turn it in, it saved very few of my pics, and those weren't any of them. I haven't taken any more yet mostly because I haven't done a complete weigh in day with measurements and I haven't made my calories for several weeks as well.
    As far as seeing a doctor, I just had my yearly physical at the beginning go the month. Clean bill of health for the exam and bloodwork. And yes I did tell her about my calories and weight loss, and that I wanted to stop as soon as I got to 109 or so. No concerns their. My therapist I see once a week, I had already gone over it with her as I started the program many months ago, and recently as well.
  • Adpalangi
    crisb2 wrote: »
    Kalikel wrote: »
    The face is usually the last thing to look sunken and terrible in people with eating disorders.

Sometimes people tell us we are getting too skinny because they think it's "nice" to say. Sometimes they say it because it's freaking true.

I suggest a visit to the doctor. He will either agree with you that you're a healthy, normal weight so that you can go back to the family and say, "So, blah!" or he will tell you that you are too skinny.

Do you already suspect, in your heart of hearts, that you are too skinny? Even if you want to she'd a little more fat, do you think other people would say, "She's too skinny!" I'm not actually asking for you to reply. Just a little food for thought.

Take care and stay safe. :)

This is not necessarily true. The first thing my mom gets skinny is her face, even if she's got PLENTY of stomach, thigh, butt, arm fat to lose. As people start to get older they have less collagen in their faces (which is what keeps the skin looking plump and young), you don't have to be ancient either, levels just start decreasing over the years. So, if you've recently lost a lot of weight the skin may look "sunken" because there isn't enough collagen as there was before to make it look plump, and now you don't have the fat either. Also, people may just not be used to seeing you like this. You can have a perfectly healthy weight, BMI, etc.. and if you lost a lot of weight it WILL take some time for people to get used to seeing you like this.

As soon as I lose ten pounds people start complimenting me on how great I look, and when I tell them I still have 50 pounds to lose they say "you're totally crazy". Ummm no lady I'm not crazy, I weigh 182 and then they go "what?!?" and then I say "i wear a size 14 pant" and then they go double "what?". So, don't necessarily take people's "opinions" too seriously. I call it sabotage! They're just used to seeing you overweight, they'll get over it.

Thank you so much for taking time to reply and for your advice! Raking it all in as I try to figure what and how I need to do. Yes I call it sabotage as well but most times I'm doing it to myself.
  • happyvalentinesday
    happyvalentinesday Posts: 47 Member
    I think youre having this issue because from what I heard is that your skin takes about 6 months to tighten up after weight loss. So if you lost it fast that sounds like it could leave your face saggy. Give it 6 months. Itll firm up. People just love to be spectators so tell them to respect "the bubble" and back off a little. And your kids will notice everything so dont be offended.
  • Adpalangi
    There are a lot muscles in your face. If you've been neglecting minimum protein requirements and doing lots cardio, your face will look sunken in. As you get older, the muscle loss is usually higher too.

I'd suggest eating at your TDEE for a few months, hit the daily minimum requirements for protein/fat, combined with all resistance exercises and no cardio.

Your face and body composition will improve quickly.

Thank you so much for your time and advice.i do not know what a TDEE is, can you please tell me. And how i find whatever my number would be. Ever since I've started this journey I have a really hard time meeting my protein macro. I don't think but maybe two times that I was really close to it. So yes I think I'd have to say my protein has been neglected. I will get back onto this and find away to get better with the protein problem.
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Hi Adpalangi. I'll help you out incase LeadingMuscle doesn't see your question. TDEE is your total daily energy expenditure. Here is a nice simple site to work it out on http://www.fitnessfrog.com/calculators/tdee-calculator.html . An easy way to eat more protein if you don't want to eat more meat/chicken/fish is eggs and dairy foods that is as long as you aren't vegetarian or vegan of course.
  • Adpalangi
    mockchoc wrote: »
    Hi Adpalangi. I'll help you out incase LeadingMuscle doesn't see your question. TDEE is your total daily energy expenditure. Here is a nice simple site to work it out on http://www.fitnessfrog.com/calculators/tdee-calculator.html . An easy way to eat more protein if you don't want to eat more meat/chicken/fish is eggs and dairy foods that is as long as you aren't vegetarian or vegan of course.

Oh thank you for your response! I'm going to come back to it first chance I get tomorrow. I've been up like four hours later than I should be. But I def am going to read the link you sent. Thanks!
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    No problem. If you have any questions feel free to ask me by pm's or on here.