"Counting calories is sad"...

1235»

Replies

• burnsgene42
    burnsgene42 Posts: 102 Member
    The calories are there , whether you (or he) counts them or not.
    Keeping track of what one eats in a country of unhealthy overweight & overeaters doesn't sound "sad" to me at all. It sounds Smart.
    If he's really a good friend , Oh well , then we accept friends along with all their warts and blemishes (and thoughtless remarks). If he's just another workplace troll looking to rattle someone else's cage for his own entertainment , I'd say stay away from him as much as possible.
  • LOL, instead of saying counting calories, I would say that I use MFP to help me stay healthy.

Don't bother. move on. be you. look down to ignorance
  • JeffInJax
    JeffInJax Posts: 232 Member
    Last time it happened to me was at work from a male coworker who said counting calories is stupid and obsessive, so I said "Compared to what? Looking down and not seeing anything past your stomach?" He got defensive cause he has a huge gut but never brought it up again.
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    My brother-in-law saw me weighing my food one day and asked me if I was "going to weigh for a few months to understand portion sizes, then stop". He was shocked when I said I had no intention of stopping. I said "why would I stop? It only takes me a few extra seconds when dishing it onto my plate."
  • JeffInJax
    JeffInJax Posts: 232 Member
    My brother-in-law saw me weighing my food one day and asked me if I was "going to weigh for a few months to understand portion sizes, then stop". He was shocked when I said I had no intention of stopping. I said "why would I stop? It only takes me a few extra seconds when dishing it onto my plate."

I think this is what people do not realize. When you count calories, there is something in people that lead them to believe its an extra hour of work a day doing it. I tell people especially if you don't have new meals every single day it ends up taking a few minutes at most to log everything.
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    edited November 2014
    If this "friend" was in worse shape than I'm in, I'd probably say something bitchy like, "You may find it sad, but it's why I look like this and you look like that, so I think I'll keep doing it." If they are going to be rude, I'll happily be rude right back.
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    A very uneducated response, IMHO.
    Knowing the number of calories you are actually taking in, is so helpful to many of us in losing, or managing our weight.
    Keep up the great work! Seeing the results will make this guy humble (maybe).
  • in_the_stars
    in_the_stars Posts: 1,395 Member
    Will becoming irate be productive or beneficial to you? Him?

As much as I dislike any mention of Jacobson's CSPI, I'm posting this link as an example. Many people do not count calories.

http://usat.ly/1wdM9pn
  • becky10rp
    becky10rp Posts: 573 Member
    I think my response would be 'yes, I'm sad every morning I put my size 2 pants on......'!
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    IT IS SAD!!!!, and that's my personal opinion.
  • Chezzie84
    Chezzie84 Posts: 873 Member
    edited November 2014
    I work with 16 men in a commercial vehicle workshop.
    They all eat what they want, when they want.
    Just after New Year 2013, I took a set of scales into work to keep in my desk draw.
    When the lads saw me weighing my food our there was a bit of banter and a lot of p1$$ taking.
    Basically I told them to mind there own business and they won't be laughing when I am all curvy and wearing a dress at the staff Christmas Party.

11 months later it's second nature and the lads even measure my drinks when they make me a brew.

Tell him to mind his own business and if being sad makes you healthier then you are happy to be sad.
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    IT IS SAD!!!!, and that's my personal opinion.

Then why are you here?