Dear morning workout people

13»

Replies

• Kenda2427
    Kenda2427 Posts: 1,592 Member
    I set my alarm for 4:50 am so I can hit the snooze once. Get up at 5:00 and do a 20 min DVD, then shower and go to work. Key is to have everything ready the night before. Before my commute got much longer I used to get up at 4:30 be at the gym for 5 workout for 45 mins go home, shower and then go to work. As much as I hate getting up that early it's far better for me than working out exhausted at the end of day.
  • sarahharas5
    sarahharas5 Posts: 256 Member
    I go to the gym around 5am and get home around 630. Shower. And I am instantly awake and refreshed. Granted I'm in bed by 8.
    Haven't gone this week due to a nasty cold but hope to get there by the weekend.

I get so much crap from people for my early bed time!! Glad I'm not the only one who goes to bed so early. If I make past 9p--I consider it a late night :blush: But when you get up before 5am you need to get some sleep!
  • ythannah
    ythannah Posts: 4,365 Member
    Mindarin wrote: »
    But are you a morning person?

Nope, I am sooooo not a morning person! But it's the time when I am least likely to get sidetracked and skip working out so it's the best time for me.

I get everything ready the night before... no thought required (which is a good thing!), no mad wardrobe scrambles... just follow the routine.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    I have a night time ritual.

I lay out my clothes and all so there is no scrambling and that makes a big difference for when your brain aint awake. I also grab my crayola markers and make my workout plan in my journal, all big giant loopy letters and fun doodles with all my weights and exercises written out nice and colorful. It gets me pumped for the morning.

Also - my alarm clock is obnoxious. It says things like - 'put your money where your mouth is' or 'your muscles are shrinking right now' or 'dont forget your boyfriend is way hotter than you' or 'Are you full of crap?'.
  • joneallen
    joneallen Posts: 217 Member
    I'm up at about 4:30, breakfast around 5am, and gym at 5:30. Every day. I just don't like working out after work, because I'm drained by 5pm. Bed by 9:30-10pm. Repeat.

I've gotten used to it, and I wouldn't have it any other way. :)
  • HealthyIrishLass
    HealthyIrishLass Posts: 53 Member
    Prepare your things the night before. Prep everything you need to get through the day, thus eliminating excuses to NOT complete your workout. When you're tired in the morning, you will tell yourself anything to convince yourself to not work out....at least I do. And just remember how great it will feel to have your workout done when you get home from work.

It also helps me to allow an extra 30 minutes for coffee before my workout. The caffeine makes alot of difference in the quality of my exercise.

^^^ this exactly.
  • yoovie
    there's nothing quite so satisfying as waiting outside the gym for the employee with the keys to get there at 5:30.
  • lovetowrite73
    lovetowrite73 Posts: 1,244 Member
    My alarm goes off at 4:15 and I'm at the gym when the doors open at 5 three days a week. My motivation is wanting to be stronger and healthier. That's it. That's what gets me out of bed. I don't eat or drink anything prior either.
  • MelanieRBrace
    MelanieRBrace Posts: 245 Member
    What really helps me is having everything prepared, making time for coffee and remembering a couple mantras - ie) don't quit when you're tired, quit when you're done.
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    I used to set the coffeemaker to turn on at 4:30 so I would have incentive to get out of bed. I'd have a cup, then work out. But for whatever reason I have stopped needing that cup so now I literally roll out of bed and into my workout clothes.
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    My trick is sleeping with a nightlight. Although it takes some getting used to, it makes getting up when the alarm goes off much easier.

n11uxfk4mo4s.jpg

This is the best thing ever!

I get up around 6-6:30am depending on how long it takes me to lay there and talk myself out of the excuses I have for getting up at such an early hour.

I agree with those who said prep the day before - have your workout gear laid out, the dvd in the dvd player, etc., try to go to bed earlier than usual, and ignore whatever voice in your head is saying it's so early, you can workout tonight because chances are you are not going to workout in the evening.

I used to get up early, so I could get the shower before my roommates, now I get up so I can run while there is light outside (and to get the shower first).

I find that I end up having a better day/mood when I do morning workouts.

Good luck!
  • JenSD6
    JenSD6 Posts: 454 Member
    My trick is sleeping with a nightlight. Although it takes some getting used to, it makes getting up when the alarm goes off much easier.

I use a sunrise simulator lamp. By the time the alarm goes off, the room is gently lit and I'm already mostly awake.

• yoovie
    10646853_10154842841085107_4066557599267245177_n.jpg?oh=8130fad2e48d9c50e2cffafb27268577&oe=54EBD471&__gda__=1424448142_aa1178ccc2276b0e1f41475c411ac560
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    lol I have math problems- and find the XX on the board- and then one that requires you to shake it for at least 30-40 seconds in order to shut it off.

it still doesn't work. I am an epic failure at getting up early.

Getting to bed early is the best bet for a guaranteed alarm "fix"
  • Elsie_Brownraisin
    Elsie_Brownraisin Posts: 786 Member
    I just can't bring myself to get up before 6am and my gym doesn't open til 6.30 anyway. As someone else has said, I set out my workout clothes the night before. I go straight from the gym to work, so I also make my breakfast and lunch (both to be eaten at work) and pack my gym bag with work clothes the night before. I roll out of bed, forgo the shower and wake up half way through my walk to the gym.

My husband gets up early though and is pretty good at booting me out of bed, better than a strict alarm clock!

I don't have much time to workout after work and I find I'm in a better mood and can concentrate better at work if I exercise in the morning.
  • yoovie
    me too. My boss can be a nightmare, but if i was already a badass before he woke up, it's harder to shake me up mentally.
This discussion has been closed.