Garmin & my fitness pal not syncing

2»

Replies

• jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    greppers wrote: »
    GC is back, sort of, as of about an hour ago. Not syncing with MFP, or even itself, so still unwell.

Don't return the Vivofit - this is unusual - it's normally fine: I've had a Vivosmart for about two months and it's great. Much better than the UP I had for almost a year.

I've had my Vivofit since August and actually this is a regular occurrence. The Garmin Connect syncing issues happen approximately every 2 weeks and last for a few days at a time. Garmin seems more interested in releasing new hardware then actually fixing their software issues. Head over to the Garmin Connect Facebook page - you'll see literally hundreds of Garmin customers saying the same thing I am.

If I had the option of returning my Vivofit and Forerunner, I would do it in a heartbeat.

I'm seriously considering switching to the Fitbit Charge HR. It would suck b/c I've only had my Vivofit for a few months, but this is such a headache. It took it forever to sync to Garmin Connect, and then when it did, it only pulled my steps, not my workout. My workout didn't show up until this morning. :wtf:
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    edited January 2015
    jdhcm2006 wrote: »
    I'm seriously considering switching to the Fitbit Charge HR.

It's worth noting that there are weekly threads on Fitbit not syncing with MFP as well, and Up...

There's a common theme there...

Actually it'll be interesting to see how MFP copes with the newer generation of Fitbits and the like. The first generation fitness trackers have a very simple file format, the Garmin file format is more complex and probably more comparable to the second generation devices. I have a feeling that it's file complexity that causes the issue and there'll be many more issues related to the more complex devices.

Essentially MFP only wants a small subset of the available data coming from the devices, and seems to struggle as a result.
  • Eric_DeCastro
    Eric_DeCastro Posts: 767 Member
    was anyone having a hard time with garmin syncing to your computer? mine would not download the data I ended up deleting everything from my watch. UGH!!! so aggravating. that was 5 miles I didn't get credit for. lol.
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member

It's worth noting that there are weekly threads on Fitbit not syncing with MFP as well, and Up...

Actually it'll be interesting to see how MFP copes with the newer generation of Fitbits and the like. The first generation fitness trackers have a very simple file format, the Garmin file format is more complex and probably more comparable to the second generation devices. I have a feeling that it's file complexity that causes the issue and there'll be many more issues related to the more complex devices.

Essentially MFP only wants a small subset of the available data coming from the devices, and seems to struggle as a result.

It doesn't bother me so much when Garmin and MFP won't sync. But when my Garmin device won't sync with the Garmin software that drives me bonkers. It's happened a few times, and that's what's got me considering the Charge HR. But I need to see reviews on how accurate the HR is before I drop an additional $150 (or whatever amount tax will make it).
  • Eric_DeCastro
    Eric_DeCastro Posts: 767 Member

It doesn't bother me so much when Garmin and MFP won't sync. But when my Garmin device won't sync with the Garmin software that drives me bonkers. It's happened a few times, and that's what's got me considering the Charge HR. But I need to see reviews on how accurate the HR is before I drop an additional $150 (or whatever amount tax will make it).
    exactly. I wanted to throw my garmin out the window yesterday.
  • shellbellnz
    shellbellnz Posts: 115 Member
    Its good to know I am not the only one having this trouble. I never had this trouble with my fitbit. Ghosh I almost feel like wearing my flex as well but that seems ridiculous. I do like everything else about the vivofit though.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member

That's not the troubling part. The troubling part is that Garmin devices aren't syncing with Garmin's Software. Garmin Connect (the software that goes with Garmin Devices) isn't displaying the correct data when people do manage to get their devices synced.

I owned a Fitbit for a year and a half. While it had issues syncing to MFP once in awhile, I never had an issue syncing it to fitbit.com and fibit.com always displayed the data collected from my device accurately.

The issue with MFP is minor compared to what's going on with Garmin's Software. This seems to be the main reason people are considering switching. I know I am seriously considering going back to Fitbit. Not because MFP isn't giving an Adjustment, but because since Jan 1st, I've been having issues with Garmin Connect displaying correct data. Currently, I have a "0" total calorie burn for the past 3 days.

• MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    edited January 2015
    That's not the troubling part. The troubling part is that Garmin devices aren't syncing with Garmin's Software. Garmin Connect (the software that goes with Garmin Devices) isn't displaying the correct data when people do manage to get their devices synced.

Almost all the threads on here talk about Garmin Connect not syncing with MFP, rather than Garmin device not uploading to the Garmin Connect web service.

fwiw Garmin do have a bigger challenge over uploading the data from the device to the web service as there are both a very wide range of devices and a wide range of upload use cases, including the use of third party services providing intermediation.

I use a Forerunner 310XT and upload it using ANT+ to a windows laptop. Haven't had any problems with it, other than over the weekend when Garmin Connect had a major outage. As upthread that may be a platform integration issue related to the product launches this week, although that would surprise me given that they're usually pretty rigorous about product release management, given their market position and heritage.

The sync between GC and MFP is a bit clunky, although that manual transaction would be beneficial for other integrations like Strava and Endomondo. I find it frustrating that because the file transacts to those on upload I then need to go to each one to log training notes, add gear or put in other metadata baout my training. I'd rather just do it in GC and then sync across to other third party services afterwards.

Can't make any comment about the data being correct. My sessions seem to be accurate, although on Monday night it had me running down the middle of the Thames for a hundred yards, but that was probably more related to satellite visibility than my Forerunner. Speed and cadence data looks right, heart rate data looks right.

Clearly going through Bluetooth or WiFi uploads might make a difference, although in principle it shouldn't.

I guess third party apps are probably out of the equation as people using activity trackers as their training tools aren't likely to be at the level of activity where a third party tool is in the frame for them.

• shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member

Almost all the threads on here talk about Garmin Connect not syncing with MFP, rather than Garmin device not uploading to the Garmin Connect web service.

fwiw Garmin do have a bigger challenge over uploading the data from the device to the web service as there are both a very wide range of devices and a wide range of upload use cases, including the use of third party services providing intermediation.

I use a Forerunner 310XT and upload it using ANT+ to a windows laptop. Haven't had any problems with it, other than over the weekend when Garmin Connect had a major outage. As upthread that may be a platform integration issue related to the product launches this week, although that would surprise me given that they're usually pretty rigorous about product release management, given their market position and heritage.

The sync between GC and MFP is a bit clunky, although that manual transaction would be beneficial for other integrations like Strava and Endomondo. I find it frustrating that because the file transacts to those on upload I then need to go to each one to log training notes, add gear or put in other metadata baout my training. I'd rather just do it in GC and then sync across to other third party services afterwards.

Can't make any comment about the data being correct. My sessions seem to be accurate, although on Monday night it had me running down the middle of the Thames for a hundred yards, but that was probably more related to satellite visibility than my Forerunner. Speed and cadence data looks right, heart rate data looks right.

Clearly going through Bluetooth or WiFi uploads might make a difference, although in principle it shouldn't.

I guess third party apps are probably out of the equation as people using activity trackers as their training tools aren't likely to be at the level of activity where a third party tool is in the frame for them.

While I haven't had any issues syncing, the data displayed on Garmin Connect has been way off. There have been a bunch of complaints about people not being able to sync either. Garmin Connect was working okay for me until Jan 1st. Jan 1st to now, my data has been all messed up. So I'm more thankful that MFP isn't getting an adjustment from Garmin. I see things like this:
    ap9en59wfomo.jpg
    It however is syncing, because my workouts are showing up in the Activity Section and my steps show up on the "Step" tile on the Connect dashboard. So at a glance it looks like all is good, but then the daily summary page is messed up. I think the information on the daily summary page is directly related to the Garmin Adjustments on MFP (specifically the daily steps section and total active calories). I emailed Garmin on the 2nd about it and no response yet.

I sync with my PC. I had the app on my phone, but every time my vivofit disconnected after a sync the app would send me a weird notification every 60 secs or so complaining about the bluetooth link. It was draining my phones battery so I got rid of it.

• I can see that we are all having the same issues, but are anyone at MFP or GC doing anything about it does anyone know??