Mom's and Dad's looking for support

Replies

• krissyskayla1018
    krissyskayla1018 Posts: 15 Member
    Thats great because I havent!
  • perkymommy
    perkymommy Posts: 1,642 Member
    I have a hard time with scheduling anything. I have committed myself to walking on my treadmill on certain days and try to aim for certain times (while kids are in school or after dinner) but even that is tough. I'm the type that if I plan out too much that I will certainly fail at this because real life will take over and I will just push it all to the side. I tend to put others first. I feel like I do good just committing to walking at this point, lol.
  • MikePXstream
    MikePXstream Posts: 965 Member
    perkymommy wrote: »
    I have a hard time with scheduling anything. I have committed myself to walking on my treadmill on certain days and try to aim for certain times (while kids are in school or after dinner) but even that is tough. I'm the type that if I plan out too much that I will certainly fail at this because real life will take over and I will just push it all to the side. I tend to put others first. I feel like I do good just committing to walking at this point, lol.

Hey, it's a start. I kinda look at scheduling my workouts and doing them like emergency situations on a plane. The flight attendant always tells you that if your O2 mask falls from the ceiling, and you are sitting next to a child, put your's on first, then the child's. If you can't get yourself taken care of, how can you take care of others! I feel it is the same way with fitness. If you can't get yourself taken care of, it's going to be a lot harder taking care of others. In this case, it as alright to be a little selfish ;)
  • MikePXstream
    I do not know how to put your words in a paragraph yet sorry MikePXstream

At the bottom of each post, you should see somethng that says Quote. Click that and it will automatically put that persons post in the reply box above your comments. :)
  • AlistairBernardNormal
    AlistairBernardNormal Posts: 989 Member
    Three years ago, I was 60 lbs. lighter. “Life gets in the way,” is the best way I can paraphrase the time that has elapsed. But I can’t make the excuses any longer, or death will catch me far sooner than I am ready. This post has a somber tone, and I apologize; I am not generally a somber person. Feel free to hit me up if you’re looking for a friend to join you on your journey.
  • MonicaRunnerGirl
    MonicaRunnerGirl Posts: 9 Member
    Busy mom of 4! I work full time and my kids are busy.... I've got a 16,14,12 and 10 yr old. Trying to lose a bit of weight before summer! Please add me monicap8521@gmail.com.... I'm having a difficult time trying to figure out how to add random people myself, but when I get a request from someone I know how to do it...
  • MikePXstream
    Well, so far the calendar has said it is supposed to be a rest day for me, but normally I save that for Sundays. However, so far, I have not had the chance to do anything. I took the night off so I could go see my daughters orchestra concert, and have spent all morning doing bills and reworking my budget. Kind of sucks learning that with the changing of our employer, my premiums for my health benefits are going up, and the raise I got will not even cover the difference. Well, at least I still have a job, a team that respects me, and leaders I respect.
  • MikePXstream
    Happy Friday!!! Well, yesterday ended up being a rest day anyway. No worries. Today I got in a good Plyo workout, so I am good to go. I'll have running club tomorrow, and then I should probably do some good stretching or Yoga on Sunday. I think I actually have a weekend of no events for the kids, so I may just get to relax. The calm before the storm. lol

Next week my daughter heads off to New York to Compete in the Indoor National Track meet. So exciting for her. What an experience. Then, my son's soccer games start and my oldest's track meets start. Welcome to spring right!

What is on your calendar for the weekend?
  • KrazedBemused
    KrazedBemused Posts: 129 Member
    Full time working mum of 2. Little miss is 14 and little dude is 11. Been battling my weight for years. Have lost 72lb - 33kg over the course of 13 years. My husband and I are trekking the Incan Trail next year for charity, my goal is to be fit and enjoy the hike. Ideally I would like to lose 22lbs. Looking for support.
  • MikePXstream
    qs04vli93xlb.jpg

Good morning! How was your weekend? I hope well. Mine was quiet for a change. It was nice.

Here is a simple little challenge for you. Have you ever played the 5 Why's Game? If you have kids, I bet they have. ;)

Do this for a goal you're thinking about striving for.
    Ask yourself why.
    Then ask yourself why again....

Do this for a total of 5 times and you'll get to the route of why you want to do that. It will open your eyes to the true meanings behind it.

Example.
    I want to lose weight. Why?
    I want to feel better. Why?
    I want to be able to play with my kids like the other fathers/mothers do. Why?
    Because I hate it when I can't do something with my kids. Why?
    Because my kids matter to me. Why?
    Because I want to be around for them for a long time, and want them to be a good role model for them.

There you have it. Now you know why you want to lose weight. Now do something each and every day to remind yourself of that why. Take a picture of your kids. You won't give up now when it gets hard.

If you're comfortable enough, post below something that you used this method with, and what you've realized is your "Why" for that goal.
  • MikePXstream
    Another successful workout today. Short one, but I good one. I was still sore from yesterdays set. How are you doing? Are you closer to your goals?
  • MikePXstream
    Two days of eating cleaner so far and feeling pretty good. Just 12 more days to go.
  • KrazedBemused
    KrazedBemused Posts: 129 Member
    Honestly, my goals seem out of reach or distant but I still feel they are achievable. Work and family was crazy busy today but felt good to end my day with a yoga session.
  • wbutterchip
    wbutterchip Posts: 11 Member
    Mother of five....and student....add me
  • MikePXstream
    Mother of five....and student....add me

5! I know you have you hands full!
  • MikePXstream
    Well, my wife and daughter are off to New York! Such a huge exciting moment for her. If you would have told me years ago that my daughter would be competing in a Nationals Indoor track meet, I probably would have shrugged it off and said "sure, we'll see" half heartedly. She will be competing in the long jump, triple jump, 400m and 3k. Wish her good luck please!
  • Azercord
    Azercord Posts: 573 Member
    Good luck to her!
  • Working_Hard4me
    Working_Hard4me Posts: 53 Member
    Hi, new here:) I am a mom of 3 who has gained pregnancy weight after pregnancy of weight. I have quite a long journey to go. Feel free to add me.
  • MikePXstream
    edited March 2017
    bzdtd6696hh8.jpg

Happy friday! Before we get into the weekend, I thought I would share a little words of wisdom.

Have you guys heard the story about the rat race? I want to break it down for you today if you haven't, because it's powerful.
    So they did a study, where they had two different groups of rats. The first group were picked because they were smarter and stronger.
    The second group were picked because they were quite the opposite.
    What they did is gave these two groups of rats to the students of a university for a year. The student's job was to train each group of rats to go through a maze, and find the food at the end of the maze. They had to do it in the quickest time possible, and see which group of rats would be the winner.
    After several months of "Training" they got the rats together and had a rat race. Needless to say, the first group of smarter and stronger rats completely creamed the second bunch. Of course they would right?
    Well, It was at that point that the professor who put together this experiment brought the students together and informed them that he wasn't entirely honest with them.
    He had not separated the rats based off of THEIR specific traits. What he had done, is randomly selected rats in to groups, and then told the students that one group was more superior than the other.
    What happened was that the students began to BELIEVE in the first group of rats were smarter/stronger/better ... and the students began to believe that the second group was not.
    They started to treat each group differently because of their own belief, and the rats responded to this treatment and belief.
    But the rats really were no different. It was the belief that was transferred from the students to the rats, that made the only difference.
    It's crazy when you think about it. I have done this same thing with some of the people I support in my team. Where my belief (or lack of belief) either helped or hindered their progress. That makes me happy on most occasions when I did believe, but sad when I wasn't the best coach that I could have been because I didn't.
    It's not necessarily what the world has given you, even though that does help... But instead it's the belief that we give to ourselves, and the belief that other people have in us.
  • MikePXstream
    x1p3t4hga2dn.jpg

I can't tell you how proud I am of my two girls right now. My younger daughter is in New York right now competing in the Hershey Nationals indoor USATF track meet. She competed in the 400m and 3k yesterday, the long jump today, and has the triple jump tomorrow (her best event.) She set a new PR today for her long jump. So awesome.

My oldest daughter had her first high school track meet today. Tough competition, and she hates being in the lime light, no matter the occasion, but she got out there an did her best. That's all I could ever ask for. She ran in the 400m, 800m relay, 4x100m relay, and the 200m.

This weekend is just filled with running, but more importantly, these are life lessons that will benefit them in the long run. It is some what scary to see each of them beginning to come in to their own and grow up right before my eyes, and I can only pray that my wife and I continue to be the best models we can for them. They have so much more than we did at their age, with so much more potential and opportunities. We are truly blessed!
This discussion has been closed.