Mom's and Dad's looking for support

Options

Replies

• MikePXstream
    MikePXstream Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    I listened to this podcast today and it had a lot of good info about whole food nutrition and how it benefits the body. It's about 30 min. When you get a chance, you should really listen to it. It's also available on iTunes.

http://www.stitcher.com/podcast/chalene-johnson-2/turbo-charged-life-with-chalene-johnson/e/013-better-than-botox-nutrition-with-the-nutritionista-monica-49229751?refid=asa&autoplay=true
  • MikePXstream
    Options
    Good morning. Anyone feeling out of sorts still with the recent time change?
  • KatieBaack
    KatieBaack Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I know I'm definitely out of sorts! My daughter is having a rough time with it so momma and daddy are definitely struggling too! Ate way too much for dinner last night (steak and potatoes with a salad and a nice glass of wine) but it's been a while since I had a good meat and potatoes meal. Getting back on track today (I hope).
  • Azercord
    Azercord Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    One of the things I love about Arizona, no time change :)
  • MikePXstream
    Options
    KatieBaack wrote: »
    I know I'm definitely out of sorts! My daughter is having a rough time with it so momma and daddy are definitely struggling too! Ate way too much for dinner last night (steak and potatoes with a salad and a nice glass of wine) but it's been a while since I had a good meat and potatoes meal. Getting back on track today (I hope).

You know, only recently have I started to enjoy a nice glass of wine. I have always been a beer guy. The darker the better. But lately, a nice cabernet or merlot has been pretty tasty.
    Azercord wrote: »
    One of the things I love about Arizona, no time change :)

Yeah, that's probably the one thing I miss about AZ.
  • andrewq6100
    andrewq6100 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Single dad here! Biggest thing I can provide for support is not only doing it for yourself but for your family! The more active you are the more active your kids will become because you emulate it! It is definitely hard some days to stay on track and hit the gym with no daycare or support but I manage!
  • MikePXstream
    Options
    Single dad here! Biggest thing I can provide for support is not only doing it for yourself but for your family! The more active you are the more active your kids will become because you emulate it! It is definitely hard some days to stay on track and hit the gym with no daycare or support but I manage!

Right on man. Single parents have it the hardest I think. I don't know how my mom managed with me. Keep up the good work!
  • MikePXstream
    Options
    csiid355ebhc.jpg
    Trying to exercise when you have little ones around, or young teenagers, is a challenge in itself. Even those of you with pets (those are your children too). How many times did you try to do a push up or a plank and your cat or dog is RIGHT THERE in your face. You gotta make sure your little ones aren't in an area where they could get hurt, they are hungry, want to play, and play, and play totally distracting you. I remember actually clocking my son in the face when he was 2 with my dumb bell doing curls. He sneaked up behind me and I didn't even know it. I felt horrible!

Then, you have your teenagers. You gotta make sure they are not in harms way, they need help with their homework, their hungry, and want to play, and play, and play their video games on the TV or tablet you are tying to use for your workouts. UGH! But there is hope. Just a few little things can make you exercise time easier, so you are still taking care of yourself and them.

Nap Time! Hopefully your little ones are still taking naps. This is a great time. I know you would love to take a nap with them, but this is the perfect time when it is just YOU time. 25-30 minutes is all you need. If your workout is laser focused, you will get a good set in.

Take turns with your spouse. My wife and I used to do this all the time. She would watch them while I got my workout done, and then I would watch them when it was her turn. Too easy.

Engage your kids. You are already trying to set a good example for your kids to be healthy. Let them workout with you. Get them a set of 1-2 lb dumb bells and let them pump some iron with you, or do push ups beside you, hold your feet for sit-ups, lift them up to your pull up bar before you do yours, then have some light resistance bands for them to do theirs, have them army crawl under you while you are doing a plank, or get them outside for a run. My kids loved to work out with me from time to time and now that they are older, we all go on family runs together.

Prep some food. Kids are home from school, you want to exercise, but you have to cook dinner, or they need a snack, or something that is distracting you related to food. Take 30-60 minutes one day and plan out what you want to cook or start it early. Make some snacks ahead of time your kids can grab out of the fridge. Look into slow cooker meals. There are thousands of recipes out there for stuff you can make ahead of time and let it cook while you get your sweat on. Or, sweet talk your spouse into cooking once or twice a week.

Here's the thing, the more you plan out or at least have a system in place, the more time you will have. Plus, you will feel better and be that much closer to your health and fitness goals.

http://www.peralesfamilyfitness.com/2017/03/exercising-when-you-have-kids.html
  • anarchysdaughter
    anarchysdaughter Posts: 17 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Hi, everyone! Married momma of one here, looking to find some likeminded folks to motivate me and stay accountable together. My kid has a crazy schedule, I work full-time and am about to start school again, and I'm trying to get back into the swing of the gym! Healthy eating habits aren't a problem, just need more of a kick in the butt to get motivated physically. Feel free to add me!
  • kasey39
    kasey39 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Single working mom of pre-teen here (turns 12 on St. Patrick's Day!) Most of my days are a bit frazzled - she has some extra challenges so it's been really hard to work in much of a routine. I'm very, very tired at times, but things seem to be smoothing out, at least somewhat so hopefully I can get back into dedicating a little more time to exercise, and if we can get my thyroid issues ironed out we might be in business! :)
  • AverageJoeFit
    AverageJoeFit Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Nearly 36 year old dad with a 5 year old and 10 months old. Been on my fitness journey over 2 years now. Willing to help anyone who wants it add me :D
  • bpeters1989
    bpeters1989 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Mother of a 4 year old adhd son and 5 year daughter sure keep me on my feet. But they are so picky when it comes to healthy food. I'm new here!
  • MikePXstream
    Options
    Mother of a 4 year old adhd son and 5 year daughter sure keep me on my feet. But they are so picky when it comes to healthy food. I'm new here!

My daughter has adhd. She's 15 now, diagnosed when she was about 6. My wife an I were in denial prior to her diagnoses. Especially with my wife being a special ed teacher at the time, now school psychologist.
  • MikePXstream
    Options
    Left the weights alone and went for a run today. Felt good. A little over 2 months to start preparing for the #BolderBoulder

goh0r7zexk2b.jpg
  • kasey39
    kasey39 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Mine has ADHD as well. I still struggle with it from time to time. I'm not a medication person so it's hard for me to grasp the fact that we haven't gotten to the root of the problem and fixed it (she was also diagnosed at 6), rather than just make it possible for her to function, but that's where we are. Mobile therapy and wraparounds didn't work, so we just do the best we can.
  • Azercord
    Options
    I have to say Mike, I love that shirt. I'm in the middle of a burpee challenge and that shirt made my day.
  • MikePXstream
    Options
    It's Sushi time. Who likes Sushi?
  • MikePXstream
    Options
    It's Friday! Our last day before spring break. Do any of you have big plans? We're just staying here. With my daughters trip to New York last week, not really in the budget to do anything else. That's ok though. We will make the best of it. Have a great day everyone. Keep working hard, eating clean, and being happy!
  • Azercord
    Options
    o/ sushi is the best, especially all you can eat sushi.
  • ronjsteele1
    ronjsteele1 Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    kasey39 wrote: »
    Mine has ADHD as well. I still struggle with it from time to time. I'm not a medication person so it's hard for me to grasp the fact that we haven't gotten to the root of the problem and fixed it (she was also diagnosed at 6), rather than just make it possible for her to function, but that's where we are. Mobile therapy and wraparounds didn't work, so we just do the best we can.

Kasey, if you're interested in how some have dealt with this without medication, PM me. I'd be happy to tell you. I don't want to bug you via PM if you're not interested so I'll just open it up to you and leave it at that. There is HOPE though without meds so keep at it!
This discussion has been closed.