Mom's and Dad's looking for support

Options

Replies

• ProgressNotPerfectionIAmEnough
    Options
    Hi everyone. I have a 15 year old step son and a six year old daughter. I homeschool both of them. (My step son was struggling in public school.) I am also in college, and I clean houses part time to help with bills. It's a hectic, messy, beautiful life, isn't it? I am trying to make time for myself to try yoga, walk more, and remember that I am a person too. Wishing you all the best. :)
  • MikePXstream
    MikePXstream Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    Since I have had a lower calorie count this week, I went with some yoga today. There is a fairly new program called the 3 day yoga retreat that I decided to go with. It was nice. 30 minutes, relatively easy. A nice introductory session that doesn't make you hurt all over when you are done. I may stick with it to finish out the week. I have flexibility issues anyway, so it will be good for me. How many of you stretch a little extra or do yoga?
  • MikePXstream
    Options
    9b7cwzha4j5x.jpg

Have you ever felt fatigued or unable to complete a workout? If so, the problem might be a fluid imbalance. Even though balance among nutrients from food is important, water is equally just as important.

The human body is 40-70% water, most of which is found in the tissue of the muscles. And because typically men have more muscle than women, the male body has a greater percent of water by weight.

Water serves a number of functions throughout the body that are critical in nature. It serves as a gateway to transport nutrients, diffuses gases, and rids the body of waste. It also lubricates joints, cushions organs, and provides structure to the skin and body tissue. Water also helps regulate the body's temperature through evaporation to help cool it down, like when you are sweating, as well as absorb heat from when you are exercising. These are just a few examples. There are plenty more.

So, how much should you be drinking each day? For women, it is approximately 2.7 liters or 91 ounces, and for men, 3.7 liters or 125 ounces. An easier way for me to remember is half your body weight in ounces. That always gets me pretty close. So for example, I currently weigh 185 pounds. for me, that is 92 ounces. So a little less than the recommended amount, but that is a lot better than zero.

The next time you are feeling a little sluggish, think about how much water you had. You may need to go have a glass.
  • sjfit85
    sjfit85 Posts: 5 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Hi I just got started and I'm looking for friends! My goal is to lose 25 lbs. :)
  • ronjsteele1
    ronjsteele1 Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone. I have a 15 year old step son and a six year old daughter. I homeschool both of them. (My step son was struggling in public school.) I am also in college, and I clean houses part time to help with bills. It's a hectic, messy, beautiful life, isn't it? I am trying to make time for myself to try yoga, walk more, and remember that I am a person too. Wishing you all the best. :)

Fellow homeschooler here. Yep! Life is crazy, busy! Welcome.
  • MikePXstream
    Options
    Good morning. I hope you had a fantastic weekend. Mine was okay. Not great. I had a set back that I was not looking forward to, but like they say, failure is part of the process.

I'm switching up my routine for the next couple of months. I'm going back to running 3 times a week and lifting 3 times a week. I have a 10k to get ready for, and my goal is to finish it in 60 minutes or less. Last year I think I was at 64 minutes. That seems to be my average. This will also help me get ready for the summer :smile:

What are your goals for the next couple of months?
  • Azercord
    Azercord Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    This week is a rest week but starting Monday I pick back up 5/3/1 for another 3 cycles and I am also working on increasing my running mileage. My current base is 80+ a month with my long run being on Saturday at 9 miles. This month I'll add an additional running slot of 4 miles, next month is another additional running slot of 4 miles, and the month after that I remove one of the 4 mile slots and add 5 miles to my long runs. Should be fun.

I also did a trail run this past weekend that was well worth it so I'm switching every other week long run and trail run.
  • MikePXstream
    Options
    vcsl63syzjxy.jpg

The past couple of days I have been on a little bit of a self pitty party. The reason being, I did not accomplish one of my goals. Well, not yet.

You see, most of you know that for the past 9 months I have been studying for my certification as a personal trainer. I have had this goal for a couple of years now, and last year I finally took the plunge and decided to go for it. Initially I was supposed to take my certification exam in December. Well, I messed that up, and had to get an extension.

This past Saturday was my exam and unfortunately, I did not pass. My wife and I figured that I only missed it by a few questions, So I was really close. But as we used to say in the Army, close only counts with horseshoes and hand grenades.

On the outside, I was handling it fine. But on the inside, it was tearing me up. I have never been a perfectionist or strive to be an A+ student, but I have always done my best and accomplished what I set out to do.

But this time. It got the best of me and I failed. I failed myself. Could I have studied harder? Absolutely! Could I have been a little more focused? For sure. So really, the only person I have to blame is myself.

Here's thing thing though, when I started thinking about it, and all the personal development I have done over the past few years, I remembered that failure is not a bad thing. Without failure, we do not exceed and grow. Thomas Edison failed how many times at inventing the light bulb before he got it right? Colonel Sanders visited how many restaurants before someone finally bought his recipe for fried chicken instead of telling him no thanks. The list goes on an on.

So yes, I did not pass. But, that doesn't mean I'll quit. I'll just buckle down and try again. I'm sure I am not the first person not to pass on the first try, and I am sure I will not be the last. My Challenge to you is this. What ever you are striving to accomplish right now, whether it be with your fitness, your health, you career, your relationships, whatever, keep at it. You may not get it this time, but you will the next.
  • MikePXstream
    Options
    go37klkjq931.jpg

It doesn't matter if you are wanting to better yourself in your career, your health, fitness, your family, or whatever it is you might want to be progressing in. The first thing you have to look at is what your current standards are? Are you setting yourself up for success or failure? Maybe your standards are actually a little below where they actually are, but your expectations are high?

For example, when I first decided to get back in shape, I was going through the motions to exercise and do the best I could at that, but I wasn't changing my nutritional habits. I was still eating what I wanted, and quantities that were much more than I needed, or some times not enough, and my weight loss results were very slow. I had to take a hard look at what I was wanting to accomplish and what I needed to do to accomplish that.

One of the first things you can try is to look at someone that has achieved the goal you want? But before you go to far, you then have to ask yourself...do you really want that for yourself? You may look at what their standards are and realize that is not for you or doesn't fit your lifestyle. So be absolutely sure before you adapt to someone else standards.

If you do resonate with their standards, then look at what they have done to accomplish those goals. If you are not sure, ask them. I'm willing to bet that they would be more than happy to share with you. If not, then look to someone else. Everyone is different, and someones approach may be different or better for you than another.
  • MikePXstream
    Options
    When it's leg day, and you have to contend with stairs for the rest of the day. lol

Happy Friday!
  • MikePXstream
    Options
    Alright moms and dads, what do you have planned for the weekend? Pretty chiil here. My oldest is at a track meet today, my youngest has soccer tomorrow, and we all have running club Sunday afternoon. Aside from that. just relaxing. Probably shoot some hoops out in the driveway, typical house chores, oh yeah, and watch Rogue One tomorrow night. Yup, pretty chill.

So whatcha got planned?
  • gibulet
    gibulet Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Anyone tried DDP yoga? My aunt bought it for me and I was wondering if it was worth the hype!
  • ronjsteele1
    ronjsteele1 Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    gibulet wrote: »
    Anyone tried DDP yoga? My aunt bought it for me and I was wondering if it was worth the hype!

My girls and I use to do it and we loved it. For me, I'm not really a yoga type of person but I loved the DDP yoga. I always felt like I got a decent workout and really felt like I was getting stronger.
  • MissNic23
    MissNic23 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Single mam here to a crazy 2 year old. Life running around after her can often lead me to making bad decisions for food as I just want to eat on the go most of the time!
  • MikePXstream
    Options
    gibulet wrote: »

Heard of it, but never tried it. Let us know what you think.
  • MikePXstream
    Options
    g3dbrvf23b12.jpg

Good morning. Here is some food for thought.

So often I hear, "I used to eat x amount of calories, then I increased it to x more calories, and I am still starving. What am I doing wrong?"

The issue is not necessarily that you are not eating enough calories, but you are not eating enough of the right calories. Food is fuel for the body. Your body is a machine. If you do not keep it fueled with the right stuff, you will shut down, be starving, cranky, and more.

Think about it this way. What would happen if you were to fill your car with diesel instead of unleaded gasoline. Chances are it may run for a few minutes, but then it will konk out and you will be stuck. So now you have to flush that out, put the right fuel in it, and then you can go.

Your body is the same way. Imagine if you only ate foods like pizza, mac n cheese, and heavily processed foods. Sure, your body will go for a little while, but that spike in energy will wear off and then your stuck. Not to mention, because those choices are lacking in so many nutrients, your body isn't fulfilled, so the brain keeps saying I need more! So what do you do? You grab another slice of pizza, have another serving of mac n cheese, and slam a coke to wake you up. This vicious cycle will continue over and over.

However, by just changing your nutrition up a little, and adding in more fruits, vegetables, lean proteins, and "healthy" fats, your body has the right stuff. You are now filling it with all those macro and micro nutrients the body needs to perform it's job. When you have the right balance of foods and nutrients, you will feel better, have more energy, be more alert and....not as hungry. Because your body now has what it needs.

I used to make this same mistake. I would eat anything I could find to hit that magic calorie intake number, and then still be hungry hours later. And, I wouldn't lose any weight. Once I actually paid attention to a nutrition guide that came with one of my workouts, I found I was eating less, but still feeling energized and full, and actually started losing weight.

So I challenge you. The next time you have these thoughts or feelings, take a good hard look at what you ate for the day and see if you are balancng it out with the right calories. If you're not sure what those are, then chat with me. I would be more than happy to help you out.
  • Azercord
    Azercord Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    @MikePXstream on your post there I always like to add that in addition to getting the right nutrients in your body your also get more volume when eating right. The volume part is key for me because that is what allows me to really feel full and the fact that my body runs better on it is a plus as well.
  • MikePXstream
    Options
    Azercord wrote: »
    @MikePXstream on your post there I always like to add that in addition to getting the right nutrients in your body your also get more volume when eating right. The volume part is key for me because that is what allows me to really feel full and the fact that my body runs better on it is a plus as well.

So true. When I actually pay attention and eat right, I do eat more, but do feel as sluggish and have way more energy. Then I am also less likely to reach for junk food.
  • MikePXstream
    Options
    What is one of the biggest fears you have?
  • ballew814
    ballew814 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Papa with two boys. All are welcome to add me
This discussion has been closed.